Sam Keller files lawsuit against EA sports and the NCAA

As for the athletes not getting money issue, my tears dry pretty quickly. In addition to getting a free education (most of which would ordinarily be out of state tuition rates for the scholly guys), there's the board that's paid for, the meals at the training table, top medical attention the entire time you're with the team. On top of that you're a walking talking deity in Lincoln, NE, and you're in prime position to make your case as to why you should be playing on Sundays in the NFL. The opportunities afforded you simply for being a Husker are worth their weight in gold. And you're telling me that some pixel image (which 99% of the time is blocked by a helmet) constitutes a likeness? Please.

Couldn't the argument be made that you should not be paid a salary or an hourly wage because of all the extra benefits that you get with your job. Free meals at the cafeteria, free health care, 401K, Paid vacation, sick leave, plus free training at your job. I don't blame Sam at all for this. I am the same way at my job, when there is extra money that I am making for the store, I want to make sure I am getting my fair share of what is coming in, and this is no different from what Sam is sueing the NCAA and EA Sports for.

As for the athletes not getting money issue, my tears dry pretty quickly. In addition to getting a free education (most of which would ordinarily be out of state tuition rates for the scholly guys), there's the board that's paid for, the meals at the training table, top medical attention the entire time you're with the team. On top of that you're a walking talking deity in Lincoln, NE, and you're in prime position to make your case as to why you should be playing on Sundays in the NFL. The opportunities afforded you simply for being a Husker are worth their weight in gold. And you're telling me that some pixel image (which 99% of the time is blocked by a helmet) constitutes a likeness? Please.

Couldn't the argument be made that you should not be paid a salary or an hourly wage because of all the extra benefits that you get with your job. Free meals at the cafeteria, free health care, 401K, Paid vacation, sick leave, plus free training at your job. I don't blame Sam at all for this. I am the same way at my job, when there is extra money that I am making for the store, I want to make sure I am getting my fair share of what is coming in, and this is no different from what Sam is sueing the NCAA and EA Sports for.

No. The scholarship offer and accompanying free college diploma in any area of study––which depending on the school can cost in the tens of thousands of dollars every year––is your payment for playing football for the school. Hell, you don't even have to play the game. Many of those guys are professional benchwarmers. In addition to your free diploma, you're famous, fed, cared for, and boarded for four years. The issue here is being a whiny girl because an graphic on an EA sports game has your number on the back of the jersey.

Now if you want to make an argument for paying college football players, be prepared to lose the essence of college football. If you want the NFL-lite, be careful what you wish for. This game is already too much of a business for my taste, but to think that players aren't getting anything out of this boggles the mind.

1. I'm a woman...get your personal pronouns right. I know, I know...it's impossible for you to believe that a real woman could: know about football, discuss it intelligently and post on a male dominted site like this.

Actually I talk football all the time with my mom, sisters, dad's wife and a couple of the women at work. Not all that impossible to believe.

For the record I didn't even know you made that post until I went back and looked over this thread after making the post you responded to.

Sorry if I offended you by using he when I was referring to someone else. From now on I will just refer to everyone on this board as dude. Male or Female. Yes I do call my wife and mother dude as well.

2. Proven? No. But we all have heard what the word is regarding this situation through the grapevine.

And, when people I know, and trust, who are a lot closer to the daily ins and outs of the program than I am, are all whispering the same thing...it generally tends to be true-even if it can't be "proven" in the court of law sense.

Kind of like the whole Cody Glenn thing? Tickets? Stat. Rape?

Or like Solich and the cheerleader or was it a nurse?

I think you get what I’m saying.

I run into one of Keller’s former teammates and roommates while he was in Lincoln every now and again, maybe next time I see him I’ll ask him about it.

What's this about Sam Keller and "blow"? (I haven't heard anything about it, actually...)

And Jen, newearth was responding to UGA who quoted your post but messed up so it looked like it was mine. See #34 :P

Correct

Nope, it would be just as retarded.

Well, I'll qualify that statement. It would be just as retarded if they were looking to get paid themselves.

Amateur athletes. Especially that part about EA turning a blind eye to user-posted rosters.

due to my secondary profession (web designer), I've taken plenty of copyright/patent classes. He has no case here. As a public figure you have no right to your own image unless it is used as a means for making money for yourself (a model, or someone who signs their body rights away, like tiger woods). He has no such contract, and put himself forward as a public figure. no case my man.

Im with Sam on this one. If the players are amateur athletes why should EA Sports be allowed to make money off them. Its one thing for the University of Nebraska to make money off of them because they actually give them something in return (an education). What does EA Sports give them...NOTHING.

I've seen many lawsuits brought about by student athletes in my day and this is probably the best case I have ever seen constructed.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/30605723

Maybe I'm in the minority but I hope he wins something or this finally allows players to get some cash for what people make off them. I know they get an education but come on. How many people bought a #12 NU jersey last year because of "Golden Boy"? Or how about all the money Michigan and Nike made off of the Fab Five. I say "take it to the streets', "damn the man" and "keep fighting the good fight".

See the deal is a free education cant really be put into dollars. Yes I could tell you that for an average class load with housing that Sam, being from out of state would have to pay around $24,000 a year. Two years on the team, only 1 year of "being taken advantage of". So NE gave him neary $50,000 worth of goods (more when you take the free clothing, gear and merchandise that players get) in exchange for him performing his 'craft'. I believe that is more than fair. When you also consider that those with atleast their BS make an average of $1,000,000 dollars more in their career then those without degrees.

His little lawsuit is a plea for $$. See I would bet my life that Sam thought it was the coolest thing ever to have his 'likeness' in a game when he thougth he was going pro and would be rich. But now that he came back to earth he is no different that people who sue because their coffee is too hot....

But to each their own.

:clap:clap:clap

Very well said.

GBR!!!

Im with Sam on this one. If the players are amateur athletes why should EA Sports be allowed to make money off them. Its one thing for the University of Nebraska to make money off of them because they actually give them something in return (an education). What does EA Sports give them...NOTHING.

I’m with this dude.

I might as well throw this out there to; NCAA Football is far and away my favorite game to play.

I’m with this dude.

I might as well throw this out there to; NCAA Football is far and away my favorite game to play.

I agree, this is an age old argument about college athletes, yes they get a free ride and perks, but when the bottom dollar comes out every year on how much athletics brings in for colleges and universities it is not even close. I don't think there is really a wrong response to any of this. What would anyone do if say your company puts you in a commercial and after it airs business booms and all you get is a "good job"?!! yeah Sam and about every other athlete gets a good ole' :nutz is it fair? No, but I doubt Sam is the first one that has ever tried either... If anything there should be some kind of compensation for severely injured college athletes for life long pain and problems suffered on the the playing fields of the university they made money for.

I have to wonder if there aren't some releases that should be signed by players when they play for a university? If there hasn't been, maybe there will be now? I don't feel that this suit will be taken too seriously, because if it is, it will basically put EA Sports out of business - or any other game manufacturer out there now or in the future.

If a player for a university refuses to sign on, it basically would make that university's roster obsolete. I can see some kid coming along, being the "star player" and demanding a bigger cut of the action. I have a hard time believing a lawyer out there actually took this one on. The court will throw this one out rather quickly.

This raises another question...is the university being paid or is the NCAA reaping all the financial benefit out of these games?

Bad Sam Keller...bad!! :nutz If he was going to do something like this, or if I was the lawyer willing to take a case like this, I would have went out and got some other kids signed on so I could make it a class action lawsuit. But then you do realize that if they actually won this case it would drive the prices of the games through the ceiling, with every kid wanting their cut.

:sarcasm And oh yeah...I think I seen a fan on there that looked JUST like me and had the same clapping motion...I want my share, too, damn it!! :horns2

Watch out Mods...I see several smilies that look just like me on here, too, since I am bald and not that tall... :hellloooo have anger issues :nutz:steamdedhoarse and a drinking problem :wasted:cheers !!

It is a class action lawsuit:

http://www.nbcwashington.com/sports/footba...s-and-NCAA.html