Omaha World-Herald Picks Nebraska second in the North

Just another reason I can't wait to get Nebraska in Lawrence. It's KU's year kids. I don't think you have the horses to beat us in Lawrence this year. We have too much firepower on offense, and with the game being at home, our defense will force your inexperienced offense into a lot of mistakes. I think that's the difference. KU wins by double digits infront of the largest crowd in Jayhawk history.

Here's to a great 2009 season. Go Jayhawks!

Okay, I believe a dose of reality is appropriate here so let's contrast NU and KU by position groups:

QB...Edge...KU. The Jayhawks return an experienced QB while the Huskers will be breaking in a first year starter. Although by the time the two teams actually meet the whole "experience" advantage will be a no factor.

RB...Edge...NU. Roy Helu and Quentin Castille are the two main guys who ran quite impressively against you last year.

WR...Edge NU...While KU has a slight edge in the WR spot because of the return of Briscoe...Nebraska has a substantial edge at the TE spot.

OL...Even...I think on paper Nebraska is better but that's kind of difficult to quantify so I'll call it even.

DL...Edge...NU...Kansas doesn't even have anyone remotely close to the caliber of N. Suh on their DL.

LB...Edge...NU...you saw how good Nebraska's LB's were last year when we had a converted running back and two walk-ons manning the LB spots. Just think how good we'll be with 4-6 redshirted scholarship players.

DB...Unknown...I'm not real sure how our DB's stack up so I'll refrain from analyzing it too much.

I think you have to give KU the edge in WR. Briscoe and Meier will be very, very good. Our tight ends are probably better, but I doubt any of them are the game breakers that Briscoe and Meier are.

Other than that I think you nailed it.

Agreed on the WR part. Also I don't think we can say we have the edge at LB till some of these players produce results on the field.

I would give the edge to NU at the LB spot. Heck we have already seen May, Holt, Lawrence, and Dillard on the field vs. KU and those players may not even be the starters this year.

Just another reason I can't wait to get Nebraska in Lawrence. It's KU's year kids. I don't think you have the horses to beat us in Lawrence this year. We have too much firepower on offense, and with the game being at home, our defense will force your inexperienced offense into a lot of mistakes. I think that's the difference. KU wins by double digits infront of the largest crowd in Jayhawk history.

Here's to a great 2009 season. Go Jayhawks!

Okay, I believe a dose of reality is appropriate here so let's contrast NU and KU by position groups:

QB...Edge...KU. The Jayhawks return an experienced QB while the Huskers will be breaking in a first year starter. Although by the time the two teams actually meet the whole "experience" advantage will be a no factor.

RB...Edge...NU. Roy Helu and Quentin Castille are the two main guys who ran quite impressively against you last year.

WR...Edge NU...While KU has a slight edge in the WR spot because of the return of Briscoe...Nebraska has a substantial edge at the TE spot.

OL...Even...I think on paper Nebraska is better but that's kind of difficult to quantify so I'll call it even.

DL...Edge...NU...Kansas doesn't even have anyone remotely close to the caliber of N. Suh on their DL.

LB...Edge...NU...you saw how good Nebraska's LB's were last year when we had a converted running back and two walk-ons manning the LB spots. Just think how good we'll be with 4-6 redshirted scholarship players.

DB...Unknown...I'm not real sure how our DB's stack up so I'll refrain from analyzing it too much.

I think you have to give KU the edge in WR. Briscoe and Meier will be very, very good. Our tight ends are probably better, but I doubt any of them are the game breakers that Briscoe and Meier are.

Other than that I think you nailed it.

Agreed on the WR part. Also I don't think we can say we have the edge at LB till some of these players produce results on the field.

I would give the edge to NU at the LB spot. Heck we have already seen May, Holt, Lawrence, and Dillard on the field vs. KU and those players may not even be the starters this year.

Our D allowed 35 points. May had one tackle, Lawrence had one assisted tackle, Holt and Dillard didn't even record a tackle.

I'm not saying KU has a huge edge (its actually probably a wash) but we have too much uncertainly at LB to say we have the edge right now.

LB is one the positions I'm most excited about because if we're basing an edge on potential then yes we absolutely have the edge but once again potential doesn't always translate over when the lights come on.

I think I'd agree that the LB spot is probably a tossup. We probably have more returning players with game time there (I believe KU lost all 3 of their linebackers...and I don't think their subs got that many reps). Also, I think we probably* have more raw talent at the position.

*That's pretty much just a guess on my part.

i see us as having an edge everywhere on defense including Lbers.

on offense they have the edge at qb and WRs. We have the edge at Oline, RB, and TEs.

i personally see this game as one that will not be as close as it was last season. they will not be able to score as many points on us this season and we very well may score more this season even with an inexperienced qb....

LOL=WR isn't even close. KU has the best wideouts in the Big 12! You guys are crazy! I would also say our linebackers have a slight edge, even though we lost all 3 starters. Wright, Shermer, and Sprinmger saw significant time at LB last year, so it's not like we lack experience.

Your D-line might be better than ours, but I'm excited about the guys we have back in Jamal Greene and Darius Parish who checks in at 6"4 346lbs!! I can't wait to see his improvement. He saw significant time as a true freshman last year and word is he has improved greatly this offseason. Also, your o-line is about even to ours. We have 3 returners in Hatch, Spikes and Biere. Our starting guard is a transfer from Wisconsin (who was starting for them by the way) and a redshirt freshman named John Williams who is 6"4 336 lbs.

The game won't be that close in Lawrence. And yes, it DOES make a difference playing in Lawrence...have ya'll forgot that we put 76 points on you guys last time you were there? And for your defense being so great, we still scored 4 td's on you last year in Lincoln. We'll score more than tha this year boys. Your defense was ranked 55th in the country last year. It wasn't as great as everyone on here seems to think.

on offense they have the edge at qb and WRs. We have the edge at Oline, RB, and TEs.

i personally see this game as one that will not be as close as it was last season. they will not be able to score as many points on us this season and we very well may score more this season even with an inexperienced qb....

What's your logic behind that statement B-Rent? Why suddenly would our offense (who has everyone back) suddenly not be able to score as much on you? That's just a dumb statement. If anything, your inexperienced QB's and receivers will seal your fate in Lawrence. You're right, it won't be that close. We'll beat you by double digits. :clap

Briscoe by himself outweighs our TE's, sorry have to admit it. Even more if West repeats his performance from last year. Meier is a viable option and the puke in my throat gags me to say it. He has good hands, and being a QB he is very smart. However what is Briscoe's current status with the team?

Linebacker is a wash more or less if everyone is banking on our young boys. What the HELL did Dillard do to get in Bo's doghouse. I like our overall depth better.

So if this thing is even, like it is looking I give the edge to........ Alex FRICKING Henery. Yeah no one has thought of this edge. $, that's right the kid's money.

LOL=WR isn't even close. KU has the best wideouts in the Big 12! You guys are crazy! I would also say our linebackers have a slight edge, even though we lost all 3 starters. Wright, Shermer, and Sprinmger saw significant time at LB last year, so it's not like we lack experience.

Your D-line might be better than ours, but I'm excited about the guys we have back in Jamal Greene and Darius Parish who checks in at 6"4 346lbs!! I can't wait to see his improvement. He saw significant time as a true freshman last year and word is he has improved greatly this offseason. Also, your o-line is about even to ours. We have 3 returners in Hatch, Spikes and Biere. Our starting guard is a transfer from Wisconsin (who was starting for them by the way) and a redshirt freshman named John Williams who is 6"4 336 lbs.

The game won't be that close in Lawrence. And yes, it DOES make a difference playing in Lawrence...have ya'll forgot that we put 76 points on you guys last time you were there? And for your defense being so great, we still scored 4 td's on you last year in Lincoln. We'll score more than tha this year boys. Your defense was ranked 55th in the country last year. It wasn't as great as everyone on here seems to think.

Different year, different team and most importantly...different coaching staff.

If you are seriously banking on the memory of that 76 point debacle from '07 to make your case this year then you've already lost.

And since you've opened up the past games can of worms, sit down, take a seat cuz I'm about to school your keyster...

Since 1970, arguably when the modern age of college football began, in Nebraska vs Kansas games...

* The Huskers have scored 1,708 points or an average of 43.8 points per game. 1,708 / 39 = 43.79.

* The Jayhawks have scored 403 points or an average of 10.3 points per game. 403 / 39 = 10.3.

* During the same period, 1970-present, The Huskers have scored 50+ on Kansas 17 times.

* Nebraska owns a 89-23-3 record against Kansas.

* Nebraska has shut Kansas out 10 times and held them to 10 points or less 14 times.

Here's the site where I obtained the stats ----> History Lesson

And I'm not even including the numerous conference titles, five national titles, three Heisman winners and all the talent we've sent to the NFL.

But right kiddo...keep clinging to the '07 game... :laughpound

Sounds like someone's "swagger" has come back in the off-season even though we beat you last season. You're going down little Jayhawk and we're taking your women with us! :box

What's your logic behind that statement B-Rent? Why suddenly would our offense (who has everyone back) suddenly not be able to score as much on you? That's just a dumb statement. If anything, your inexperienced QB's and receivers will seal your fate in Lawrence. You're right, it won't be that close. We'll beat you by double digits. :clap

my logic is football...evolution....and the fact that our Defense will have improved moreso than you offense.

your offense can have dan marino, oj simpson, randy moss, and The Tony Gonzalez but if you dont have an offensive line in front of them they will not win!

your defense will not be as good this year as it was last season. however neither will our offense likely be as good as last season.

this is not the first game of the season so saying that our qb has no experience does not exactly hold much water.

if you really think that KU will win by double digits then i think you might wanna study up on the skers some cuz that aint hapnin! i read about KU and all of the other teams in the big 12 north on a daily basis and from everything i have read about your lines i am not so sure that we shouldnt worry about MU or CU before we worry about KU....... :laughpound

LOL=WR isn't even close. KU has the best wideouts in the Big 12! You guys are crazy!

And how is that going to help ya with Reising on his back with an extra helping of Suh on top of him?

Aw come on, don't sell yourselves so short, you might have a chance to make it a close game before the Huskers pull away.

Which with a brand new system jumped something like 50 spots, second in the conference and best in the North.

Sounds like someone's "swagger" has come back in the off-season even though we beat you last season. You're going down little Jayhawk and we're taking your women with us! :box

they are all yours BRI......

ugly-girl-feed.jpg

Different year, different team and most importantly...different coaching staff.

If you are seriously banking on the memory of that 76 point debacle from '07 to make your case this year then you've already lost.

And since you've opened up the past games can of worms, sit down, take a seat cuz I'm about to school your keyster...

Since 1970, arguably when the modern age of college football began, in Nebraska vs Kansas games...

* The Huskers have scored 1,708 points or an average of 43.8 points per game. 1,708 / 39 = 43.79.

* The Jayhawks have scored 403 points or an average of 10.3 points per game. 403 / 39 = 10.3.

* During the same period, 1970-present, The Huskers have scored 50+ on Kansas 17 times.

* Nebraska owns a 89-23-3 record against Kansas.

* Nebraska has shut Kansas out 10 times and held them to 10 points or less 14 times.

Here's the site where I obtained the stats ----> History Lesson

And I'm not even including the numerous conference titles, five national titles, three Heisman winners and all the talent we've sent to the NFL.

But right kiddo...keep clinging to the '07 game... :laughpound

Just a note because i know you weren't here last pre-season... JGS may be one of the most biased Jayhawk opinions I have seen... The fact that JGS said the huskers MAY have an advantage on the DL goes to prove that that is true.. LB can be argued because neither side has proven anything yet, but arguing that KU's DL is as good as NU's would be like arguing NU's QB spot is as good as KU's right now...

Don't forget as Saunders sig reads, JGS said they had too much offensive firepower and a "rock solid" defense last year in that game against USF.... oh, and never followed through on his end of the bet.

Damn, it sounds like they have parrish on the same diet as you're fat ass coach. He will have to be put on oxygen before the second quarter..lol

No one on here said our defense was great last year, and Bo will be the first to tell you that it was far from palying to his standards. But we have a ton of young fast talent comming in, along with key returning players with another year of experince in Bo( the master of defense) Pelini's system. So yes, look for more of the same( Reesing on his back) next year.

Hey JGS30, do you promise to put the NU-KU score in you're sig when we win next year? Oh wait, I forgot that you don't deliver on you're promises. It's to bad you are not a classy poster like jayhawk is.