Omaha World-Herald Picks Nebraska second in the North

Baylor has 18 returning starters.

CU has 10 returning on offense.

I just drank some gatorade.

Dirk Nowitzki is going to score 40 tonight & Mavs will win.

Spring football picks are special in May.

:)

Seriously though, I do think Baylor is heading up in the right direction. And I really think Dallas will win tonight. :w00t

6289133_tml.jpgAndrew say's "That's a point for every charge his girlfriends facing! Ohhhhh!!!"

That was too funny, damn!!! :rollin:rollin

JG, of course we havent forgotten about the 76 points. You seem to mention it (or rub it) every opportunity you get since it happened. Its been two years. Move on. Or move forward. :)

Briscoe is an extremely valuable and talented reciever. I have no clue who your other recievers are. Which means, if the Huskers double up on him, what are you going to do that is going to give you the edge there? And if I have no idea who these other recievers you have are, than the league pretty much doesnt either.

I guess a tight close game just isnt imaginable. Its like we all have to convert to agreeing that KU will win by 10 or more. Its sad, because fellas like Jayhawk & Fro Daddy can pick their teams to beat us, but dont seem to demand that we all have to convert and agree with it.

I'm just sayin'... its May. Relax a bit. Save some of it for Oct/November.

And Husker Jen? Who is this chick? Impressive stuff. I'm impressed.

GBR!

Offensive line is in NU's favor, and it isn't even close. Here's why:

And you just thought that The Wall Street Journal was good for the stock tables and stories about fiduciary accounts.

The Journal has a very underrated sports section and an emerging blog. Staff writer Darren Evenson had an intriguing post a few days back that detailed how experience in the offensive line usually is a pretty good indicator of a college football team's eventual success.

The study indicates that eight of the teams that finished last season in The Associated Press' final 2008 top 10 poll had at least 65 combined offensive line starts at the beginning of the season.

And three of the more notable disappointments last season -- Missouri, Clemson and Georgia -- all had fewer than 40 starts.

The study also broke down the offensive line starts for nearly every FBS team in the nation, including all of the Big 12 teams. Here's how teams in the conference rank heading into the 2009 season, courtesy of the The Wall Street Journal:

Texas: 91

Oklahoma State: 86

Baylor: 66

Iowa State: 61

Nebraska: 61

Kansas State: 57

Missouri: 56

Texas A&M: 56

Texas Tech: 52

Colorado: 48

Oklahoma: 29

Kansas: 26

The statistics are intriguing for several reasons. Maybe Texas and Oklahoma State can fulfill their lofty preseason expectations because of veteran offensive lines. And Baylor's experience -- even after losing starting tackles Jason Smith and Dan Gay from last season -- could be a huge factor in the Bears making their first bowl appearance since 1994.

The other item that strikes me is the lack of experience from Oklahoma and Kansas. The Sooners will have the least returning experience in the trenches of any team Bob Stoops has ever coached there. It will be interesting to see how that factors into their hopes of being able to claim an unprecedented four-peat of Big 12 titles.

And early North contender Kansas will have the least offensive line experience among any Big 12 teams. How will that play a part in the Jayhawks' hopes of claiming their first undisputed North title?

The national average is 61 games of experience, meaning only Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas are above the national benchmark.

(Hat tip to the Dallas Morning News).

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-9-54/Of...rs-UT--OSU.html

KU will not win the division, and will finish with a similar record to last year.

For starters Saunders, your study doesn't hold as much weight as you want it to. If it did, KSU and ISU would be running things in the North, which isn't happening. Heck, I don't care how much experience a BAD O-line has (see KSU) they'll still get worked every Saturday.

I know my team better than you Saunders, and though we lost both guards and our center, the talent we have replacing them is better, and they saw some time last year. Our O-line will be better than you think....especially better than last years bunch.

For the record, I never said KU's d-line was better than NU's. That's crazy talk. I just mentioned how Greene and Parish had been coming along and how I expect big things from them. I feel good about the nd-line. I never once put down Suh, and have mentioned several times how I feel he is the best DT in the nation and will likely be a top 5 draft pick as long as he stays healthy. Players like him just don't grow on trees. He is a difference maker, and won't be the reason you lose to KU. Your offense will.

Oh-enjoy the qoutes "classy fans" :)

For starters Saunders, your study doesn't hold as much weight as you want it to. If it did, KSU and ISU would be running things in the North, which isn't happening. Heck, I don't care how much experience a BAD O-line has (see KSU) they'll still get worked every Saturday.

I know my team better than you Saunders, and though we lost both guards and our center, the talent we have replacing them is better, and they saw some time last year. Our O-line will be better than you think....especially better than last years bunch.

For the record, I never said KU's d-line was better than NU's. That's crazy talk. I just mentioned how Greene and Parish had been coming along and how I expect big things from them. I feel good about the nd-line. I never once put down Suh, and have mentioned several times how I feel he is the best DT in the nation and will likely be a top 5 draft pick as long as he stays healthy. Players like him just don't grow on trees. He is a difference maker, and won't be the reason you lose to KU. Your offense will.

Nice touch on the Sig JGS30, I have a question though. The last line in your sig, you mention how losing Talib really hurt your D last year. Why would that change this year? You didn't exactly have world beaters in the Defensive Backfield last year, where do you think playmakers back there will come from?

Nice touch on the Sig JGS30, I have a question though. The last line in your sig, you mention how losing Talib really hurt your D last year. Why would that change this year? You didn't exactly have world beaters in the Defensive Backfield last year, where do you think playmakers back there will come from?

I'm glad you brought that up caveman-at the end of the year-actually after the Husker game (coincidence-I think not) Mangino made the move to take Daymond Paterson and switch him from WR to DB. Then he took Justin Thorton (starter at SS) and moved him to the other corner spot. The overall play really improved, and Daymond may become a star at that position. Our defensive backfield is actually the strenght of our defense with Darrel Stuckey (3 year starter/pre-season 1st team Big 12) back at FS for his senior season. He had two picks and a FF against Missouri, to go along with 9 tackles. He was one of the big reasons we beat MU last year.

Our DB's will be fine. We just have to figure out how to get more pressure on the QB. Our DB's can't cover forever-ya know?

It's not the only factor, on that I completely agree. However, it is an important factor. I'm not meaning to single you out. If you say the replacements for your starters are better, so be it. That said, others have said that NU's line will be worse due to replacing the right side, and that the replacements can't be as good. It doesn't work both ways.

P.S. nice to see you man up. Only took you half a year! ;)

It's not the only factor, on that I completely agree. However, it is an important factor. I'm not meaning to single you out. If you say the replacements for your starters are better, so be it. That said, others have said that NU's line will be worse due to replacing the right side, and that the replacements can't be as good. It doesn't work both ways.

P.S. nice to see you man up. Only took you half a year! ;)

I agree about the O-line talk. It does work both ways. All I know is that the KU line can't get any worse than it was last year. Reesing was running for his life all year long. If the line is anywhere near what it was in 2007, look out. He'll have an even better year than last year.

Saunders, now that I've manned up, can you please remove your quotes?!? :)

Right on JGS30, you have just earned some extra message board brownie points. I take back what I said about you not being classy like jawhawk.

There is nothing wrong with a little pre-season smack talk to get everyones juices flowing.

I'm glad you brought that up caveman-at the end of the year-actually after the Husker game (coincidence-I think not) Mangino made the move to take Daymond Paterson and switch him from WR to DB. Then he took Justin Thorton (starter at SS) and moved him to the other corner spot. The overall play really improved, and Daymond may become a star at that position. Our defensive backfield is actually the strenght of our defense with Darrel Stuckey (3 year starter/pre-season 1st team Big 12) back at FS for his senior season. He had two picks and a FF against Missouri, to go along with 9 tackles. He was one of the big reasons we beat MU last year.

Our DB's will be fine. We just have to figure out how to get more pressure on the QB. Our DB's can't cover forever-ya know?

Interesting JGS30, guess the Fat Man can adjust on the fly. I didn't really get to watch KU in the bowl game, but based on the shootout I watched vs. MU, I am not sure I saw any real improvement. They looked better in the first half, but seemed to have a hard time adjusting with MU in the second half. Was it because they didn't adjust or was it because MU was exposing inferior play? That is the question I think I would be asking if I were rooting for KU. Stuckey is a great player, but he is only one player on a wide field.

Linkage

Link to your ol' friend Lee's Spring Wrapup and projected order of finish.

I think Kansas being picked to win the the Big 12 north is the "safe" route. Let's examine the circumstances here:

* Kansas returns a multi-year starter at QB-Nebraska doesn't.

* The game is in Lawrence.

* The last time the Huskers played in Lawrence it was really bad.

So go ahead Jayhawk fans...dream of winning the north...it'll only be that much sweeter for us when we beat you on your own field and crush your dreams.

:box

Just another reason I can't wait to get Nebraska in Lawrence. It's KU's year kids. I don't think you have the horses to beat us in Lawrence this year. We have too much firepower on offense, and with the game being at home, our defense will force your inexperienced offense into a lot of mistakes. I think that's the difference. KU wins by double digits infront of the largest crowd in Jayhawk history.

Here's to a great 2009 season. Go Jayhawks!

didnt you say the same thing last year?

IMO the north is wide open. KU, NU, MU, even CU.... they all have a decent chance

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting JGS30, guess the Fat Man can adjust on the fly. I didn't really get to watch KU in the bowl game, but based on the shootout I watched vs. MU, I am not sure I saw any real improvement. They looked better in the first half, but seemed to have a hard time adjusting with MU in the second half. Was it because they didn't adjust or was it because MU was exposing inferior play? That is the question I think I would be asking if I were rooting for KU. Stuckey is a great player, but he is only one player on a wide field.

Actually, a better question to ask is who did MU not score 30 plus points on? They were far from a slouch on offense, and I remember the blackshirts giving up quite a bit of yards to Daniel, so I wouldn't say KU didn't improve. The prove was in the game and KU won it. If we would of played them earlier in the year I doubt we would have won. Our defense played much better the final few games.

Ha! JGS is at it again! You said all this stuff last year too, but it didn't turn out too well for you.

Not going to say which team has an advantage yet, because we're not even to fall practice yet. Once I get some reports from the practices of both camps, I will throw my opinion in. Alot can happen between now and fall. Reesing could get hit by a car for all we know!

Now, if you excuse me, I have to take a road trip down to Lawrence....

Ha! JGS is at it again! You said all this stuff last year too, but it didn't turn out too well for you.

Not going to say which team has an advantage yet, because we're not even to fall practice yet. Once I get some reports from the practices of both camps, I will throw my opinion in. Alot can happen between now and fall. Reesing could get hit by a car for all we know!

Now, if you excuse me, I have to take a road trip down to Lawrence....

LOL-I love it Michael! Can't wait for you "one sided" report on how Nebraska is going to destroy KU in Lawrence, a place they haven't won in since 2003. Wow-how the years fly by!

ESPN Commentary on Nebraska's chances at the North

Nebraska (Nov. 14, at Kansas; Nov. 21, Kansas State; Nov. 27, at Colorado): The Cornhuskers could be putting the finishing touches on their first Big 12 title game appearance since 2006 with a fast finish. It will be tough, considering the Cornhuskers allowed a school record 76 points in their last trip to Lawrence. Nebraska has toyed with Kansas State in recent seasons, averaging 64.5 points in their last two games. Additionally, this will be the first head-coaching matchup between old rivals Bo Pelini and Bill Snyder. And the Cornhuskers should bring confidence into the Colorado game considering they have won six of their last eight games there. A 2-1 record or better in these games likely will push the Cornhuskers into the championship game.