Nebraska Championship Potential

The 80's and 90's are over, and we all know that these days parity is much more widespread than it used to be. With teams like Baylor and TTU coming into their own (and thus keeping more good players in Texas) I wonder if Nebraska will ever be championship caliber again. We are in one of the worst recruiting states, and it seems more kids will want to stay closer to home even if the team they go to isn't a football power. Teams like Texas, LSU, Ohio State, and USC will always have better recruiting and more talent than we will, always, and will we be able to keep up with that in the long run? I hope so.

On a side note, if a playoff system is initiated, won't that hurt Nebraska? The way I figure it, if you're playing against good teams one after the other in a playoff system, talent and superior athletes will have the advantage overall.

I hope to see us win more championships and BCS bowls, but sometimes I wonder if we'll ever be able to do that consistently again...

Nope. Nebraska will never win another championship. We can't recruit anyone outside our borders and kids here are garbage. We couldn't possibly win any games in a playoff system because we'll be playing with less talented, inferior players.

You've summed it up pretty well. Let's just shut down the football program.

It just takes time and with our tradition, coaching and facilities one great season can put it alll in motion. I'm sure USC, OU, Texas, Bama and others were wondering the same thing at one point. Yes they all have better states around them for talent but back in the 80's and 90's we did what we appear to be doing this year, and that is control our border and the states around us and then hit on a few blue chippers from around the country. If we can somehow get Lucas then we will possibly get the three best players out of Mizzou which helps two fold. Last year we plucked Burkhead, Green, Ankrah, Washington and Williams out of their respective states. The year before we got Compton, Josh Williams, P.J Smith and Alphonzo Dennard out of their states. It also appears that we are on the fast track to getting Tyler Moore out of Florida and Green out of Texas. I know that is early but I think we absolutely can make it back up to the top it will just be a little harder than it would for programs with a ton of in state talent.

Looks like I struck a nerve. It wasn't meant to be a doom-and-gloom post, I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on whether or not we'll ever be consistent like we were. I know we get good talent, I know we can recruit outside NE, but I'm just saying will we be able to keep up with programs like Texas, USC, LSU, OSU, etc.?

It was merely a concern I had, and I wanted to know what other people thought and if anyone could brighten my hopes a little bit. Cheer up buddy.

College football has changed quite a bit since we had our really really good run.

Florida looks like it could do the 3 in 4 deal, but not match the win loss record.

I honestly do not see it happening after this Florida run is over.

Nebraska can get back to being an elite program. That really is all anyone can hope for, whether you are a Nebraska fan or any that you mentioned.

I see Nebraska as a top 15 program, playing for BCS and NC on occasion, but always being around. That is all I ask for. I want us to win NC's every year, but all I really want is to see Nebraska play football with the drive and intensity it used to project. We can control that, we can not control the wins and losses.

Talent is available around the country, and most of it is so close in comparison that it really makes little difference in which ones you get. It is more about character and work ethic. Recruiting that is what will make us the winner we want to be on and off the field. I think Bo gets that. BC never did.

But I truly think the return to elite depends on the patience the fans have. Not gonna happen in a heartbeat, it takes time to get what the coaches truly want, and if everything falls just right and we have a tremendous amount of luck, we can win the NC. But if for some reason we don't I doubt it will be from lack of effort with the staff we have.

Kansas might be a worse recruiting state than us, and look what they did with their players. You don't have to get four and five star recruits to win a championship......

but you do get 4 and 5 star recruits.

Yep, we do. Question is, what will this staff do with them? Early signs are extremely positive.

Looks like I struck a nerve. It wasn't meant to be a doom-and-gloom post, I just wanted to hear other people's opinions on whether or not we'll ever be consistent like we were. I know we get good talent, I know we can recruit outside NE, but I'm just saying will we be able to keep up with programs like Texas, USC, LSU, OSU, etc.?

It was merely a concern I had, and I wanted to know what other people thought and if anyone could brighten my hopes a little bit. Cheer up buddy.

The answer to your questions are all yes. Yes Nebraska can get great talent, yes the Huskers can keep up with other programs, yes they can become kings of the college football world-again.

Holy crap if Gary Pinkel can make Missour respectable and Mark Mangino can turn Kansas into a football school, both of whom have about 1/100th of the tradition of Nebraska from which to draw upon, then there's no reason why a fantastic coaching staff can't make Nebraska a power again.

Personally, I find this conversation interesting because these types of questions seem to come from people, and I'm not inferring or referencing you particularly, are the types of people who thoroughly enjoyed seeing Nebraska struggle and be in the suck tank. Now it appears that the rest of the Big 12 is finally starting to notice that Nebraska is really on the way back to the top and they're scared. JMO.