Nebraska Championship Potential

I'll indulge you...

I have faith that we will at least be a top five team competing for a national title late in the season, within the next eight to ten years. Here are the odds of actually winning one, IMO:

2009: 0.5%

2010-12: 3%

2013-15: 5%

2016-18: 6%

Meaning the chance of winning at least one national title from 2009 through 2018 is 13.8%.

Now, the chance of KSU winning a national title in the same time frame? I would say roughly around 0.003%.

I remember standing in the parking lot, tailgating at a Virginia Tech game in 1999. A VT fan stated that Nebraska was done and only needed a fork. My reply to this ridiculous statement was "I am willing to bet that Nebraska will win another National Championship before Tech wins their first,"

So far, I ain't wrong.

I think another NC is inevitable. Improvement from year to year will be the key. With improvement recruiting will follow, and Bo Pelini is the guy to make this happen. I see Bo at NU for a long time to come.

I'm just saying...

Now it appears that the rest of the Big 12 is finally starting to notice that Nebraska is really on the way back to the top and they're scared. JMO.

I do not think this is true. The north might be worried, but I doubt the south even cares.

Of course they care. I talk to several OK fans and they're interested in Nebraska returning to respectability. A healthy Nebraska is good for the whole Big XII, just like a healthy Kansas is good for the whole Big XII. I don't know about them being "scared," but they are taking notice. And in a good way.

i didn't mean it that way. I meant that I doubt they are worried about any North teams right now or in the near future.

There is alot of truth in this post. I'm sick and tired of the North teams losing to the South teams. I wish like hell we would just hand it to Oklahoma and Texas Tech and send them back to their states wondering what the hell just happened.

I said this before in a post and I will repeat it, I believe something that has hurt you guys as well as us is the revival of USC. You guys used to clean up in SoCal and now Pete Carrol gets to pick and choose. If the NCAA would come down on USC like they should over Reggie Bush that would loosen his grip over there. For us the rise of Texas and Mack Brown's ability to build a fence around Texas and especially Houston has hurt us. We used to recruit Houston well. Certainly nothing is certan but this is just a theory that I have.

Actually I promise I have nothing to do with KSU whatsoever. Now that you mention it though I can see why you'd think that, but it never struck me before that it could be linked with KSU. Bad choice of a name on my part lol, and unfortunately I can't change it now. Either way, I'm not one of the people who enjoyed Nebraska being in the tank. I was a freshman in 2005 so I've seen the arguably worst football teams of the last 40 years; a bad time to go to NU if you're a football fan. But I promise you I'm a NU fan through and through.

I also know that we'll never rival our mid-90's run, and in fact I think no one will. Even if Florida goes 3 in 4, they didn't do it undefeated like we did. I'm not expecting that, I just meant sometimes I worry with Texas teams on the rise if we'll be able to keep our head afloat. Teams like Texas, LSU, USC, etc. have big advantages over us in recruiting is all I meant - they will always have the best of the best unless disaster strikes. However, I do realize we get good players and have advantages of our own - no pro teams, no other colleges in the state, full support of NU, atmosphere, facilities, tradition, etc...

I do believe NU will be competing at the top again, but sometimes it's good to hear it from others, you know?

Actually I promise I have nothing to do with KSU whatsoever. Now that you mention it though I can see why you'd think that, but it never struck me before that it could be linked with KSU. Bad choice of a name on my part lol, and unfortunately I can't change it now. Either way, I'm not one of the people who enjoyed Nebraska being in the tank. I was a freshman in 2005 so I've seen the arguably worst football teams of the last 40 years; a bad time to go to NU if you're a football fan. But I promise you I'm a NU fan through and through.

I also know that we'll never rival our mid-90's run, and in fact I think no one will. Even if Florida goes 3 in 4, they didn't do it undefeated like we did. I'm not expecting that, I just meant sometimes I worry with Texas teams on the rise if we'll be able to keep our head afloat. Teams like Texas, LSU, USC, etc. have big advantages over us in recruiting is all I meant - they will always have the best of the best unless disaster strikes. However, I do realize we get good players and have advantages of our own - no pro teams, no other colleges in the state, full support of NU, atmosphere, facilities, tradition, etc...

I do believe NU will be competing at the top again, but sometimes it's good to hear it from others, you know?

No problem and yes sometimes some people pointing out some positives will help get things back in prospective.

I'll indulge you...

I have faith that we will at least be a top five team competing for a national title late in the season, within the next eight to ten years. Here are the odds of actually winning one, IMO:

Meaning the chance of winning at least one national title from 2009 through 2018 is 13.8%.

Now, the chance of KSU winning a national title in the same time frame? I would say roughly around 0.003%.

Since the world is going to end in 2012

I'll indulge you...

Since the world is going to end in 2012

:bang:facepalm:

It was written here once about things like this. Ok youve got one school bringing in top tier players. But that doesnt mean they still get to play. So they leave there Jr or Sr year. Maybe even sophmore. High caliber players are choosing less then steller schools just so they can get playing time. And believe me it makes a difference. I think that if someone had a choice of being a 2nd stringplayer for texas or a 1st string player for nebraska they would choose nebraska. That goes for any team. Your not going to get any exposure buy sitting on the bench so there like. I know i was accepted to LSU but maybe the ISU coaches can do something with me other then let me get my bench on. I think with what we bring in and our coaching staff. We might get to a NC game within 10 years or sooner. But it doesnt matter because the worlds going to end in 2012 anyways.

Ben

It's hard to say.

Auburn shared the National Championship in 1957. They haven't won one since. Syracuse won in 1959. They haven't won one since. Minnesota won Championships in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941 (they were monsters in those days!) and 1960. They haven't won one since.

My father (who attended NU in 1948-51) always marveled about the incredible turn around under Devaney, but in my NCAA football-aware lifetime (at least up till the Callahan era) NU was always on top. My brother, who graduated from NU in 1978, always thought that more than 2 loses was a disaster. And just as my father marveled at how fast NU went from Big 8 doormat to singular powerhouse, my brother marveled at how fast NU returned to mediocrity.

One hopes better days are ahead, and we will shortly all be again marveling at how fast NU returned to the role of perennial Championship contender. But history teaches that sometimes the end of an era really is the end.

I said this before in a post and I will repeat it, I believe something that has hurt you guys as well as us is the revival of USC. You guys used to clean up in SoCal and now Pete Carrol gets to pick and choose. If the NCAA would come down on USC like they should over Reggie Bush that would loosen his grip over there. For us the rise of Texas and Mack Brown's ability to build a fence around Texas and especially Houston has hurt us. We used to recruit Houston well. Certainly nothing is certan but this is just a theory that I have.

You can expand that to Texas under Mack Brown and Florida under Urban Myer.

The good thing though is that there is a ton of great talent left in California, Texas and Florida even after USC, Texas and Florida takes the recruits they want.

Nothing lures recruits like consistent winning...well that and cash, gifts, jobs for relatives, strippers... :laughpound

It's hard to say.

Auburn shared the National Championship in 1957. They haven't won one since. Syracuse won in 1959. They haven't won one since. Minnesota won Championships in 1934, 1935, 1936, 1940, 1941 (they were monsters in those days!) and 1960. They haven't won one since.

My father (who attended NU in 1948-51) always marveled about the incredible turn around under Devaney, but in my NCAA football-aware lifetime (at least up till the Callahan era) NU was always on top. My brother, who graduated from NU in 1978, always thought that more than 2 loses was a disaster. And just as my father marveled at how fast NU went from Big 8 doormat to singular powerhouse, my brother marveled at how fast NU returned to mediocrity.

One hopes better days are ahead, and we will shortly all be again marveling at how fast NU returned to the role of perennial Championship contender. But history teaches that sometimes the end of an era really is the end.

For every one of those examples, I can throw out others in the opposite vein such as USC, UT, OU, etc. Programs who were on top of the CFB world, stubbed their toes for quite awhile, and now have returned to a close fascimilie of their former selves.