LB Joe Gilliam

Player: Joe Gilliam

Hometown: Indianapolis (IN) Southport

Position: OLB

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 205 lbs.

40 time: 4.6

Visit Date: TBD

Scholarships offered: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Northwestern, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Stanford, Wisconsin

Favorites: Nebraska, Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Purdue, Notre Dame

Rankings/Stars:

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

ESPN Grade: N/A

JOEGILLIAM4_27150.jpg

ESPN:

Gillliam narrows the field

Linebacker Joe Gilliam (Indianapolis/Southport) has 11 scholarship offers, but said his decision is really down to five schools, and maybe one other school he does not yet have an offer from. "I've narrowed it down to Nebraska, Northwestern, Stanford, Vanderbilt and Purdue," Gilliam said when asked about his 11 offers. "And I'm still considering Notre Dame a little bit. They haven't offered. We'll see what happens. I might go to their camp in July." Gilliam has visited Purdue and Northwestern. He will likely visit Vanderbilt the week of July 13, and hopes to visit Stanford by the end of the summer. Gilliam is not sure when he will visit Nebraska. Gilliam is in no rush to select a college. In fact, it seems it will be quite awhile before he does so. "I'm going to try and take all five official visits, and then make a decision after that," Gilliam said.

That's weird. This cut to the top 5 is the first I've heard of this kid. I didn't even know he had an offer. Oh well, reel him in...

Checked on HI and they don't have any articles about him, just had updates from other rivals sites. Seems to be the kind of LB Bo goes for, a guy that can fly to the rock and match-up well against spread O's. He racked-up 90 tackles and five sacks last season.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

Committed to Purdue out of a final five of Purdue, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Nebraska and Northwestern.

sad.......Purdue is out recruiting us now.

Go figure! A young high school kid that wants to get an education for free!

Imagine for one second, that your son/daughter wanted to go to school for academics only. And find a great career afterwards. They would want the best school out there.

Purdue, Stanford, Vandy, and NW are all among the NCAA's hardest to get into (probably why they aren't that great at sports). This kid has a chance to go for "FREE!!!". I'm not downplaying UNL's academics, they are a great school. But, if this kid is looking to be a Doctor or Attorney or Journalist or CEO or any number of other things, these schools carry more weight (you can NOT deny that)

Maybe our recruiting problems are based in the academic dept. Again, I'm not saying UNL is a school that doesn't care about grades (look at academic All-Americans) but academically it carries nowhere near the weight that these schools do.

Sorry to bring it up, but Pat Witt did himself only good to go play for Yale. God Bless a kid that knows that football is NOT what makes a college resume.

Committed to Purdue out of a final five of Purdue, Stanford, Vanderbilt, Nebraska and Northwestern.

sad.......Purdue is out recruiting us now.

Go figure! A young high school kid that wants to get an education for free!

Imagine for one second, that your son/daughter wanted to go to school for academics only. And find a great career afterwards. They would want the best school out there.

Purdue, Stanford, Vandy, and NW are all among the NCAA's hardest to get into (probably why they aren't that great at sports). This kid has a chance to go for "FREE!!!". I'm not downplaying UNL's academics, they are a great school. But, if this kid is looking to be a Doctor or Attorney or Journalist or CEO or any number of other things, these schools carry more weight (you can NOT deny that)

Maybe our recruiting problems are based in the academic dept. Again, I'm not saying UNL is a school that doesn't care about grades (look at academic All-Americans) but academically it carries nowhere near the weight that these schools do.

Sorry to bring it up, but Pat Witt did himself only good to go play for Yale. God Bless a kid that knows that football is NOT what makes a college resume.

One more thing: Nebraska fans should be extremely "Proud" that we were among that top 5!!!!

"Maybe our recruiting problems are based in the academic dept. Again, I'm not saying UNL is a school that doesn't care about grades (look at academic All-Americans) but academically it carries nowhere near the weight that these schools do."

well, that excuse isn't one that plays at OU, they are one of the worst at academics in the B 12 and they get top notch kids....try again.