How will Zac Lee perform this fall?

I guess I just dont' really understand how Ganz had this insanely great chemistry with Swift and Peterson. He was a 1 year + 4 game starter in his career. Sure he split time at the 1 spot with Keller in '07 spring ball, but that isn't going to be much less time that Lee has spent with his receivers.

I guess I just dont' really understand how Ganz had this insanely great chemistry with Swift and Peterson. He was a 1 year + 4 game starter in his career. Sure he split time at the 1 spot with Keller in '07 spring ball, but that isn't going to be much less time that Lee has spent with his receivers.

Chemistry is a funny thing. For some reason Ganz was able to see what everyone BUT Sam Keller saw: that getting the ball to Maurice Purify was a smart thing to do.

Is that really chemistry, or just common sense?

Same with Ganz' "chemistry" with Swift and Peterson....sounds to me like he just knew the offense and knew where they would be and if they were covered, he would get them open by running around.

Chemistry is more than just starting games though.. Chemistry can stem from taking leadership and owning mistakes... as many people heard, the team supposedly like Ganz better than Keller, hence creating that "chemistry" better with Ganz than Keller... Whether or not that was true, I couldn't tell ya, but seems to me that his chemistry stemmed for from things like that as opposed to actual playing time.. However, I'm sure it just grew with the PT.

In the case of Purify it was common sense.

But it's clear that some QBs and receivers are on a wavelength: they know where the other is going to be, even when a play breaks and everyone is improvising.

And by "wavelength" I mean of course more common sense, mixed with playing experience.

One would assume that Lee should have the best "chemistry" with the team of any QB on the squad as he's been here the longest. If Lee controls the mental mistakes, I'd assume we'll be just fine. I can't think Watson who should know him as well as anyone will keep him in situations that will keep him and the team out of trouble.

A lot of people, including myself, say things about how Lee just needs to manage the offense, eliminate mistakes etc. and we will be fine. This, I believe is very true. However I think Lee may turn about to be a straight up baller. He tore it up as a JUCO and with some talent around him and solid O-line he could be awesome for us as well. I won't be shocked if he surprises everyone with his playmaking ability, and locks up 2010 starting spot as well. Who knows though, I was drinking the Jammal Lord Kool-Aid once upon a time too! GBR!!!

Quote from the article:

In his time at Colorado and Nebraska, Watson coached a number of guys right in Lee’s size, speed and skill range. Lee might have more raw talent than any of them except Craig Ochs, who played at CU for a couple years before transferring. Watson even compared Lee to Ochs during spring football.

-snip-

2000: Craig Ochs, 145-245 (59%) 1,788 yards, 7 TDs, 7 INTs, 106 rush yards, 4TDs

Consider me officially worried if Watson is comparing Lee to Ochs. Time in the system and the maturity level at Lee's age should (hopefully) make a big difference, of course. But, if our "raw but talented" QB is only able to get 11 total TD's this year, and tosses nearly as many ints, it will probably be a pretty dismal year.

Is that really chemistry, or just common sense?

Same with Ganz' "chemistry" with Swift and Peterson....sounds to me like he just knew the offense and knew where they would be and if they were covered, he would get them open by running around.

Chemistry is more than just starting games though.. Chemistry can stem from taking leadership and owning mistakes... as many people heard, the team supposedly like Ganz better than Keller, hence creating that "chemistry" better with Ganz than Keller... Whether or not that was true, I couldn't tell ya, but seems to me that his chemistry stemmed for from things like that as opposed to actual playing time.. However, I'm sure it just grew with the PT.

I don't mean to disparage Keller in any way, but I think there is something to be said for the lack of chemistry he had with the team. A red flag got raised in my mind a bit when I read about him being named the starter at ASU, followed by his teammates basically petitioning that coach to have Carpenter start instead. At least, that was one of the rumors I heard. Whether it's true or completely false about his former coach being a spineless wimp is even besides the point -- I saw the lack of chemistry he had at Nebraska. The difference between Ganz and Keller was like night and day in that aspect.

Also, I wouldn't say it's exactly common sense to get the ball to Purify. I really think Keller just didn't see the whole field, and used Lucky as his safety net a little too often. Ganz, for the most part, looked at all of his options, and tried the BEST one he thought was available, not the safest.