Marlowe Cited By Police

I have a huge problem with this. As an 18 year old a friend of mine and I used to drive for several hours to a town on the Kansas border, buy 100 cases oc Coors beer, and then transport it back to Sioux City, Iowa and sell it at double what we piad for it to anyone who would buy. A couple of years later I routinely drove drunk, very drunk 2, 3 nights a week. I am not proud of this in any way it is just simply the facts about what happened 40 years ago. Today I still consume but I either drink at home or have a designated driver with me at all times. My son and his wife either call a cab or the C-Bear when they are out and are obviously smarter than I was at their age. My point is, college age kids will be tempted and even do things they shouldn't but the line that needs to be drawn closes the enterance into the driver's side of a car.

T_O_B

I agree with you but he wasn't driving.

I have a question...

Why does he all of a sudden have a drinking problem?

Matter of fact, why does someone always say a player has a drinking problem when we hear about the first time they are MIP'd or whatever?

Am I an alcoholic because I like to go to the bar every weekend and have some beers with my buddies?

Ok, that was like... three questions.

I have a huge problem with this. As an 18 year old a friend of mine and I used to drive for several hours to a town on the Kansas border, buy 100 cases oc Coors beer, and then transport it back to Sioux City, Iowa and sell it at double what we piad for it to anyone who would buy. A couple of years later I routinely drove drunk, very drunk 2, 3 nights a week. I am not proud of this in any way it is just simply the facts about what happened 40 years ago. Today I still consume but I either drink at home or have a designated driver with me at all times. My son and his wife either call a cab or the C-Bear when they are out and are obviously smarter than I was at their age. My point is, college age kids will be tempted and even do things they shouldn't but the line that needs to be drawn closes the enterance into the driver's side of a car.

T_O_B

I don't think he was driving . . .

I have a question...

Why does he all of a sudden have a drinking problem?

Matter of fact, why does someone always say a player has a drinking problem when we hear about the first time they are MIP'd or whatever?

Am I an alcoholic because I like to go to the bar every weekend and have some beers with my buddies?

Ok, that was like... three questions.

Interesting lengthy article in OWH on Saturday about Chris Kiffin, one of the NU paid coaching interns and son to Monte. An excerpt that deals with this:

The job title was assistant to the director of quality control. Didn't fit on a business card, but it was a big gig for a 24-year-old. Chris was still a few days from signing his contract.

On July 22, 2006, he and Monte went to a Devil Rays' game. They came home, and Chris walked to a bar to have a few drinks. He ran into some old friends from high school. Saturday night turned to Sunday morning.

They sang karaoke. They emptied shot glasses. They left for a buddy's condo and drank some more. A few hours later, Chris was walking home in the rain. Drunk. He opened an unlocked minivan door, sat in the passenger's side for a few moments.

A cop caught him walking away from the van.

Chris was in trouble.

He eventually pleaded no contest to misdemeanor trespassing and paid a $340 fine. Not before the damage was done.

Not before the state charged him with burglary, alleging he entered the vehicle with the intent to steal — nothing was missing from the van.

Not before the whole thing hit the media — he lost his chance with the Bucs.

Not before strangers on message boards blamed Monte.

“They made comments like, it makes sense when you have a workaholic father that works 24 hours a day and doesn't give you a father figure,” Chris said. “Stuff of that nature was just totally untrue.”

Ed Orgeron, the Mississippi head coach and Lane's former colleague at USC, flew to Tampa to meet with Chris. He started reading the Alcoholics Anonymous book and suggested Chris go to rehab. Chris didn't want to tell Coach O no.

OWH

It's a summer weekend and the guy threw a party on a Friday night. It's not completely unheard of for college aged males to do. The officer "detected" alcohol on him. That doesn't quite mean he just shotgunned a whole case of Keystone. Give the kid a break. He's not out robbing people, throwing women down the stairs, or driving while intoxicated. There are thousands of college aged students who go out every night and binge drink into oblivion. From what I read Marlowe seems way more responsible and mature than at least half of his peers.

When I was growing up half of Lincoln's teens would have been in trouble if "all" the cops ticketed us, each time they caught one of us with a beer. There was only 4 high schools back then, but you could always find a party going on in any part of town, or a dance. No one I remember turned out to be alcoholics. It was taboo, of course we had to try it.

What happened to the days of the wrist slap, and send you home or take you home, and let your dad, or in this case coaches deal with you.

If he had been driving I could see getting ticketed, but come on..............

GBR!!!

T_O_B

MIP is not = to DUI. If he were driving, I guarantee he would have gotten a DUI while the MIP would be dropped. This is not the case. It's funny though that you bring things up from 40 years ago. What was the legal blood alcohol back then? It was a heck of a lot higher than now. The only thing I can find is that most states were either .20 or .15. Apparently, you guys driving back then were a lot better drunk drivers than we have today.

As an 18 year old a friend of mine and I used to drive for several hours to a town on the Kansas border, buy 100 cases oc Coors beer, and then transport it back to Sioux City, Iowa and sell it at double what we piad for it to anyone who would buy.

This sounds vaguely similar to a certain Burt Reynolds film....

I still find it quite odd that you can die while serving your country, vote the most liberal person in Washington DC into office, sign a legally binding contract all at age 18; but you aren't mentally capable of determining whether or not you can drink alcohol until age 21.

Haha. I couldn't agree more!! Some of those issues you mention are going to do a lot more damage than drinking at age 18 as long as they leave their car-keys at home. As Hukser says, that is the trick... We need to find a way to keep those who receive the privilege of both driving and drinking from exercising those rights at the same time (or anyone else for that matter).

Brian Rosenthal on the JournalStar blogs is saying that three kids got booted off the team at Arkansas State for attempted burglary. One of them was shot in the robbery and is in the ICU.

All things considered, an MIP isn't the worst thing that could happen.

well, we assume we don't recruit THAT type of character, so we should be satisfied with players who have alcohol problems?

Alcohol problems? He wasn't even driving, just drinking under-age, which is pretty damn common.