Coach Wats

offensive coordinator, but he'd be answering to nick satan. wats got a pay bump as an incentive to stay, but to be honest i wouldn't want to work in a nuthouse like alabama.

Nick Saban couldn't possibly be as deceitful, self-serving and ego maniacal to work for as he appears to be via the media, could he? :facepalm:

Watson will be gone as soon as a good enough offer comes his way. To the earlier post, TO won championships by keeping all the coaches in place. He built a "program". That's why, year after year, we had 9 to 10 win seasons. He took care of the folks around him. I have the utmost respect for TO.

I think the problem we are going to have for the next couple of years, is, as we continue to build our program back to the way it was, we will have some attrition with our coaches. I want some folks who will be here for years. Remember...Tenopir, Young, McBride, Brown, Samuel and Darlington. Those guys had tenure. That's what made our program great. And it all started at the top.

I am still not sold on Watson myself. You guys can give me all the grief you want for saying this...but I just don't like his playcalls. I hate using a 3 back system the way he uses it. To me it seemed like last year we would get something working and then move away from it...at least wait until they finally stop it and then mix it up. What I loved about our old offense is that it was genius. We set things up and it felt like Tom was in a chess match. We could all see that Helu was the better runner then Lucky last year (I still love Lucky, but he didn't have it last year) and we still used Lucky more. I also don't think we called plays that used Lucky to his strengths. And did anyone else notice that Watson seems to panic a little when we get down? He would go straight to passing once we were down, even when it was just 7 points. I don't know if this is on Watson either, but we need to be able to finish more in the redzone.

I am more waiting to see how the offense does this year and then I can really decide on Watson. For now I just don't know. He is a good coach, but I think we will be just fine if he leaves. I hope he does well, but I need to see a few things before I can say that we really need Watson to stick around.

I am still not sold on Watson myself. You guys can give me all the grief you want for saying this...but I just don't like his playcalls. I hate using a 3 back system the way he uses it. To me it seemed like last year we would get something working and then move away from it...at least wait until they finally stop it and then mix it up. What I loved about our old offense is that it was genius. We set things up and it felt like Tom was in a chess match. We could all see that Helu was the better runner then Lucky last year (I still love Lucky, but he didn't have it last year) and we still used Lucky more. I also don't think we called plays that used Lucky to his strengths. And did anyone else notice that Watson seems to panic a little when we get down? He would go straight to passing once we were down, even when it was just 7 points. I don't know if this is on Watson either, but we need to be able to finish more in the redzone.

I am more waiting to see how the offense does this year and then I can really decide on Watson. For now I just don't know. He is a good coach, but I think we will be just fine if he leaves. I hope he does well, but I need to see a few things before I can say that we really need Watson to stick around.

Watson's system is to complicated!!! TO's system was so simple, yet complicated, that Frazier could start as a true fish. The playes are the same one ran by HS teams. Guess what, the same can be said of spread option teams. Here in Texas teams are running the Florida offense, the WV offense and the 4 wides spread like Tech, KU and Missouri. Teams are also running hurryup offense like OU and Tulsa. Garrett Gilbert ran a hurryup offense at Lake Travis and so did Spano at Stephenville. Spano's dad coaches at Lake Travis as an assistant. Kids running these offenses can step right in at Florida, WV, Michigan, Oregon and other offenses like this. NU's offense is to complicated!!!

Teams are also running hurryup offense like OU and Tulsa. Garrett Gilbert ran a hurryup offense at Lake Travis and so did Spano at Stephenville. Spano's dad coaches at Lake Travis as an assistant. Kids running these offenses can step right in at Florida, WV, Michigan, Oregon and other offenses like this.

and that is exactly why Texas kids are a much more finished product coming out of high school and our kids at most Nebraska high schools never get any sophisticated coaching..

Teams are also running hurryup offense like OU and Tulsa. Garrett Gilbert ran a hurryup offense at Lake Travis and so did Spano at Stephenville. Spano's dad coaches at Lake Travis as an assistant. Kids running these offenses can step right in at Florida, WV, Michigan, Oregon and other offenses like this.

and that is exactly why Texas kids are a much more finished product coming out of high school and our kids at most Nebraska high schools never get any sophisticated coaching..

That only means that they are almost maxed at their potential in my book. I still think some of the farmboys around here would knock the crap out of anybody else in the country. Nebraska kids can improve themselves much more than a kid from Texas who is already almost maxed out, just takes less work and they could start right away (the texas kids). That's part of the reason our walk-on program is so successful. You get these kids no one knows about and they drive the team. Bottomline you need to have a system for where you are in the country. Take Michigan...they will never be good again running their new offense. We will probably never be really good with the west coast offense, because we have a different breed of guys here compared to Texas or California. We can pull from there all we like, but we still have to rely on Nebraska boys to keep the program going.

West coast offense blows...we need to get back to smashmouth and just hit someone on the field. Personally simple is better...less chances to mess it up.

Watson will be gone as soon as a good enough offer comes his way. To the earlier post, TO won championships by keeping all the coaches in place. He built a "program". That's why, year after year, we had 9 to 10 win seasons. He took care of the folks around him. I have the utmost respect for TO.

I think the problem we are going to have for the next couple of years, is, as we continue to build our program back to the way it was, we will have some attrition with our coaches. I want some folks who will be here for years. Remember...Tenopir, Young, McBride, Brown, Samuel and Darlington. Those guys had tenure. That's what made our program great. And it all started at the top.

Tenure wasn't the key. With each and every one of those guys you had tireless workers who knew their jobs, were good at it and accepted nothing less than the best.

Face it, we will NEVER see a situation like that again. With coaches the caliber of Milt, Charlie and the boys would have been long gone in todays ever changing world of coaching. We had some special by keeping those coaches around as long as we did and it is something that will NEVER be replicated again in college football.

The other thing not comparable is the tireless working effort. It's like day and night between our old staff and this staff we currently have.

Watson's system is to complicated!!! TO's system was so simple, yet complicated, that Frazier could start as a true fish. The playes are the same one ran by HS teams. Guess what, the same can be said of spread option teams. Here in Texas teams are running the Florida offense, the WV offense and the 4 wides spread like Tech, KU and Missouri. Teams are also running hurryup offense like OU and Tulsa. Garrett Gilbert ran a hurryup offense at Lake Travis and so did Spano at Stephenville. Spano's dad coaches at Lake Travis as an assistant. Kids running these offenses can step right in at Florida, WV, Michigan, Oregon and other offenses like this. NU's offense is to complicated!!!

Our offense is a spread variation with WCO mixed in. Predominantly, we would like to run our entire offense out of the gun if possible.

The difference in our offense and everyone elses is that we still give a blend to a true pro-style offense while using the flavor-of-the-day offense.

Our offense is in no way complicated for anyone but the QB. If you are a WR or RB, you should have no problem picking up things. Watch Rex Burkhead this fall or Antonio Bell if you want an example.

That only means that they are almost maxed at their potential in my book. I still think some of the farmboys around here would knock the crap out of anybody else in the country. Nebraska kids can improve themselves much more than a kid from Texas who is already almost maxed out, just takes less work and they could start right away (the texas kids). That's part of the reason our walk-on program is so successful. You get these kids no one knows about and they drive the team. Bottomline you need to have a system for where you are in the country. Take Michigan...they will never be good again running their new offense. We will probably never be really good with the west coast offense, because we have a different breed of guys here compared to Texas or California. We can pull from there all we like, but we still have to rely on Nebraska boys to keep the program going.

West coast offense blows...we need to get back to smashmouth and just hit someone on the field. Personally simple is better...less chances to mess it up.

Your premise that these kids are "maxed out" coming out of High School is flat wrong. The country is littered with Texas players who continue to improve in college.

Second, Osborne's Option attack was no less complicated than the West Coast. It was flexible, stealthy, and relied on finesse as much as power. Don't get sucked in to the false conception that it was just "line 'em up and punch 'em in the mouth" as most national talking heads would have you believe.

I think we could be successful running the Option attack, or the Nebraska Coast offense, or a pure West Coast, or the Spread... doesn't really matter what the offense is. What matters is personnel and execution. We get the right personnel and we could run any offense we want and be successful.

And regarding Coach Watson leaving - I think Bo has made it pretty clear he's interested in seeing all of his coaches move up. If moving up means moving out, he's cool with that, too. Evidence to the point - Ekeler's interviews with USF during the offseason. This kind of thing is going to be more and more frequent, especially if we keep winning.

It was great when all of our coaches stuck around for a couple of decades, but that was a very different era in college football.

Our offense is a spread variation with WCO mixed in. Predominantly, we would like to run our entire offense out of the gun if possible.

The difference in our offense and everyone elses is that we still give a blend to a true pro-style offense while using the flavor-of-the-day offense.

Our offense is in no way complicated for anyone but the QB. If you are a WR or RB, you should have no problem picking up things. Watch Rex Burkhead this fall or Antonio Bell if you want an example.

I agree 100%. The system isn't complicated unless you happen to be the QB.

During the Spring Game, you saw proof of this. Bell - a freshman - really seemed to standout as did Mendoza (a RB that was converted into a WR). If the system in place was indeed too complicated, how do you explain these two picking up the WR spot so easily when one of them is a freshman and the other was converted from a RB?

We have great potential at all of our unknown areas: WR, QB, and on a smaller scale, our o-line (although I think that our o-line will be as good if not a little better than last year). Now it's up to Wats and company to put it all together.

So are Florida kids. So are California kids. Where the weather is warm, football will be played 365 days of the year. How many hockey players claim to be from the south? I watch the National Finals a lot, and rarely if ever do you see a professional cowboy from New York or other highly urban area. The point to all of this is the kids will be a lot more polished or finished if you will from areas that play year round compared to those that don't. Considering the populations and the climates, its no wonder a lot of highly touted recruits come from Florida, California, Texas, etc. It's also of little wonder why so few come from states like Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota, etc.

I agree 100%. The system isn't complicated unless you happen to be the QB.

During the Spring Game, you saw proof of this. Bell - a freshman - really seemed to standout as did Mendoza (a RB that was converted into a WR). If the system in place was indeed too complicated, how do you explain these two picking up the WR spot so easily when one of them is a freshman and the other was converted from a RB?

We have great potential at all of our unknown areas: WR, QB, and on a smaller scale, our o-line (although I think that our o-line will be as good if not a little better than last year). Now it's up to Wats and company to put it all together.

Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith all started at WR for USC as true freshmen w/o a spring, Bush, White and Washington all played as true freshmen and won a MNC. Name your true freshmen starters at WR for NU since Callahan/Watson brought the offense?

Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, Steve Smith all started at WR for USC as true freshmen w/o a spring, Bush, White and Washington all played as true freshmen and won a MNC. Name your true freshmen starters at WR for NU since Callahan/Watson brought the offense?

The point you're inadvertently making is that USC recruited better talent than Nebraska, not that Carroll's offense is any easier to run than Watson's. If we had Williams, White and Smith, you can bet your bottom dollar they'd have started here as true freshmen.

You're trying to show that Watson's offense is "too complex" while Osborne's was "simple," and you don't know what you're talking about. The Option wasn't simple - it's a system of blocking that is as complex, in its way, as any offense in the nation. When executed properly it was fiendish to defend because of its complexity.