NU isn't "back"yet

Lol I feel you on this one, shyndy. He's gotta be smoking something if he thinks Washington is that much better than our backs. Mizzou's "First B12N team to run the spread" mystique is gone, and Washington isn't gonna gashing our D this year. Take that to the bank.

:rollin

Hi dudeguyy,

Nice to meet you. My name is Fro Daddy. I see that you are new to football. I can help you with info on MU if you ever need it. And you can ask you Husker brethren about things that happened previous to last year...

Here are some fun facts:

-Mu's Rushing Avg against NU since going to the spread in 05 - 198 yrds a game

-Since going to the spread Mu has never had less than 119 yards against NE

-Since going to the spread Mu is 3-1 against NE

-NE hasnt won in Columbia since 2001.

-In Bo Bo's two games agaisnt MU his D has given up 235 yrds passing and 221 yrds rushing per game (and that includes his 2003 #1 ranked D at the time, cause your new, you wouldnt have know that)

OH!! I almost forgot. Somethings "mystique" or novelty usually would wear off by the second time you have seen it. This will be the 5 time. So....not sure where you were going with that...Opps! I forgot, your new to football.

1 more point for you since I sure you wont know this, But...MU beat NE before Daniel, Maclin, Coffman, Moore, Hood, ect...

So pretending like now that those guys are gone, its "back to normal" wont do you any good. Maybe since your new to football you could ask the older folks about when they said that same things when Brad Smith, Justin Gage, Dwayne Blakely, Damian Nash, Atiyyah Ellison, ect... all left MU. How'd that turn out for you again... <_<

:laughpound BTW I am a smart arse and this post was done in fun :clap SO dont take it personal and go and get your panties in a bunch. ;) Its Thursday, one day closer to Friday and I am in a good mood so I though I would have some fun with you.

:LOLtartar

I'm digging up some stats for you, Fro, but suffice it to say that Helu is every bit the back Washington is, and Castille is right there as well. Hang on for stats....

I said that there is little difference between Helu and Washington. I believe they are on the same level.

Castille had 467 yrd on 106 carries for 4.4 and 6 tds.

Moore (Mu's backup) had 231 yrds on 41 carries for 5.6 and 1 td

Stats say Moore is the better back, but he and Castille are different types of backs. So is Moore on the same level as Castille? Because if he is, then accoriding to somes line of thinking MU has 2 quality backs the same caliber as NE.

I saw Castille alot, I also saw him putthe ball on the ground alot and lack side line to side line speed. But you are right that he had a great game agaisnt Clemson, but 1 game doesnt mean he is a great back, it means he had 1 game. He was going for qbout 3.7 a carry before that game. Nice, but not elite by any means. He is a nice back , dont get me wrong. I am not knocking him and saying he is not talented. I just feel that Helu is on a seperate level. Washington and Helu are on the same level and that is a level above Castille and Moore. Both Castille and Moore are nice second backs, but I believe that both of us would say that if we ONLY had Castille and Moore, that it woudl be a down grade from what we have now with Helu and Washington starting.

You're right. Everyone was ready to ship Castille off to the defense last year. He did have one good game, but as you said he put the ball on the turf way too many times last year. Time will tell how he does this season. If he continues his fumbling ways, he's way too much of a liability out there. I think he's got the athletic ability and skills to be a very good RB for us, but we can't afford his fumbles if he continues down this path.

You're right. Everyone was ready to ship Castille off to the defense last year. He did have one good game, but as you said he put the ball on the turf way too many times last year. Time will tell how he does this season. If he continues his fumbling ways, he's way too much of a liability out there. I think he's got the athletic ability and skills to be a very good RB for us, but we can't afford his fumbles if he continues down this path.

:yeah

I'm digging up some stats for you, Fro, but suffice it to say that Helu is every bit the back Washington is, and Castille is right there as well. Hang on for stats....

I said that there is little difference between Helu and Washington. I believe they are on the same level.

Stats say Moore is the better back, but he and Castille are different types of backs. So is Moore on the same level as Castille? Because if he is, then accoriding to somes line of thinking MU has 2 quality backs the same caliber as NE.

I saw Castille alot, I also saw him putthe ball on the ground alot and lack side line to side line speed. But you are right that he had a great game agaisnt Clemson, but 1 game doesnt mean he is a great back, it means he had 1 game. He was going for qbout 3.7 a carry before that game. Nice, but not elite by any means. He is a nice back , dont get me wrong. I am not knocking him and saying he is not talented. I just feel that Helu is on a seperate level. Washington and Helu are on the same level and that is a level above Castille and Moore. Both Castille and Moore are nice second backs, but I believe that both of us would say that if we ONLY had Castille and Moore, that it woudl be a down grade from what we have now with Helu and Washington starting.

I am with you on this fro. Washington is a heck of a back, you could argue convincingly that he is better than Helu and visa versa. Helu had a better YPC than Wasington, but Washington had more TD's. Helu got less carries and a lot less goal line opportunities, but Washington was out hurt a lot, etc. I think both are darn good backs, I am estactic we have Helu. I like Castille, he is a good back. He isn't Roy Helu IMO.

I'm not saying Castille is as good as Helu. I half-jokingly said he was as good as D. Wash. Many defenses that MU faced last year sold out to defend the pass. That opened up plenty of running lanes for Washington. (see the Cotton Bowl from two years ago.)

And of course Castille's ypc are going to be low. That will happen when you are used primarily in short yardage situations.

(and for the record, I don't think Castille is actually better than Washington. I'm mostly just trying to get a rise out of people. Check my posting history after the Gator Bowl . . . I believe I said multiple times that Castille had one good game and everyone was now going to forget his fumbleitis.)

Hello. My name is Mike DeArmond. And first off, understand that I never wanted to be meeting you like this. In the blogosphere.

Vlogs? Short for video logs, that has been another thing. As some of you well know. Particularly the ones who upon viewing my sometimes twisted perception of all things college football and basketball, are not shy about declaring that I simply must be drunk.

Let me say (burp), that I have not been drinking. Whether you believe that or not.

Anyway, back to the point. I never wanted to write a blog. For one reason. I always figured that if something was important enough to be mentioned in a blog, then it was important enough to be mentioned in a story that would be printed in The Kansas City Star.

Perhaps this blog will wind up there as well. Perhaps not.

Anyway, my bosses here at The Star have prevailed upon me - and the rest of the college writers - to join the blogosphere. And these days in journalism, when the boss prevails . . . well, the boss prevails.

That was effing retarded. If you're going to write a blog just write it.

Hello. My name is Mike DeArmond. And first off, understand that I never wanted to be meeting you like this. In the blogosphere.

Vlogs? Short for video logs, that has been another thing. As some of you well know. Particularly the ones who upon viewing my sometimes twisted perception of all things college football and basketball, are not shy about declaring that I simply must be drunk.

Let me say (burp), that I have not been drinking. Whether you believe that or not.

Anyway, back to the point. I never wanted to write a blog. For one reason. I always figured that if something was important enough to be mentioned in a blog, then it was important enough to be mentioned in a story that would be printed in The Kansas City Star.

Perhaps this blog will wind up there as well. Perhaps not.

Anyway, my bosses here at The Star have prevailed upon me - and the rest of the college writers - to join the blogosphere. And these days in journalism, when the boss prevails . . . well, the boss prevails.

That was effing retarded. If you're going to write a blog just write it.

His attempt at cuteness...

EPIC FAIL

Lol I feel you on this one, shyndy. He's gotta be smoking something if he thinks Washington is that much better than our backs. Mizzou's "First B12N team to run the spread" mystique is gone, and Washington isn't gonna gashing our D this year. Take that to the bank.

:rollin

Hi dudeguyy,

Nice to meet you. My name is Fro Daddy. I see that you are new to football. I can help you with info on MU if you ever need it. And you can ask you Husker brethren about things that happened previous to last year...

Here are some fun facts:

-Mu's Rushing Avg against NU since going to the spread in 05 - 198 yrds a game

-Since going to the spread Mu has never had less than 119 yards against NE

-Since going to the spread Mu is 3-1 against NE

-NE hasnt won in Columbia since 2001.

-In Bo Bo's two games agaisnt MU his D has given up 235 yrds passing and 221 yrds rushing per game (and that includes his 2003 #1 ranked D at the time, cause your new, you wouldnt have know that)

OH!! I almost forgot. Somethings "mystique" or novelty usually would wear off by the second time you have seen it. This will be the 5 time. So....not sure where you were going with that...Opps! I forgot, your new to football.

1 more point for you since I sure you wont know this, But...MU beat NE before Daniel, Maclin, Coffman, Moore, Hood, ect...

So pretending like now that those guys are gone, its "back to normal" wont do you any good. Maybe since your new to football you could ask the older folks about when they said that same things when Brad Smith, Justin Gage, Dwayne Blakely, Damian Nash, Atiyyah Ellison, ect... all left MU. How'd that turn out for you again... <_<

:laughpound BTW I am a smart arse and this post was done in fun :clap SO dont take it personal and go and get your panties in a bunch. ;) Its Thursday, one day closer to Friday and I am in a good mood so I though I would have some fun with you.

:LOLtartar

STYLES MAKE FIGHTS.I think this comparison is an example of that.Just like a boxer can be tailor made for another and a terrible match for another its the same with football.

A guy like Q is a bigger guy his strengths wont be going sideline to sideline on a fast defense but running it down that defenses throat.Clemson had one of the 3 fastest defenses that we faced last year and while they were very fast they were a good match for Q...not so for Helu.Q is more a 1 cut downhill runner while Helu is probably a little better at getting outside.Against Clemson they were enrirely to fast to run outside on so Helu ended up being less effective PLUS he was injured/hurt also.

Its just like having a big CB on a big WR its a better matchup for the CB because PHYSICALLY he can match the strength of a big bodied WR where as a smaller CB MAY be the better CB he simply doesnt match up well with a bigger stronger guy.

JMHO its hard to judge these guys.Im sure Mizzu wouldnt trade Washington for Helu and I KNOW NU fans nor coaches would trade Helu for Washington.That said I honestly think most of the country will be suprised at how good Helu is this year.PERSONALLY I think Washington is more of a product of MUs system but that remains to be seen.IMO hes the benefit of teams worrying about Maclin,Coffman,Daniels etc.I think we will see just how good he is this year as well.Lets have this same conversation in November and see if anyones opinions change.

From Tim Griffin Interpret this as you see fit.

Here's a list of the active leaders heading into the upcoming season.

100-yard rushing games No. High game Opponent Year

Kendall Hunter, Oklahoma State 11 210 Houston 2008

Chris Brown, Oklahoma 7 169 @Baylor 2006

DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma 7 128 vs. Texas 2007

Jake Sharp, Kansas 6 181 Kansas State 2008

Robert Griffin, Baylor 4 217 Wash. State 2008

Jay Finley, Baylor 3 119 Wash. State 2008

Rodney Stewart, Colorado 3 166 West Virginia 2008

Alexander Robinson, Iowa State 3 149 @Missouri 2007

Derrick Washington, Missouri 3 139 @Nebraska 2008

Roy Helu Jr., Nebraska 3 166 Colorado 2008

Keith Toston, Oklahoma State 3 148 Mo. State 2008

Zac Robinson, Oklahoma State 3 144 @Baylor 2007

Quentin Castille, Nebraska 2 125 Clemson* 2008

Colt McCoy, Texas 2 106 @Okla. State 2007

Lamark Brown, Kansas State 1 137 La.-Lafayette 2008

Logan Dold, Kansas State 1 115 @Texas A&M 2008

Mossis Madu, Oklahoma 1 114 Missouri ** 2008

Cody Johnson, Texas 1 102 Texas A&M 2008

Note: * - 2009 Gator Bowl

** - 2008 Big 12 championship game

These predictions are a trap. Everyone here in Huskerdom will have high expectations based on these predictions, then reality will set in and there will be grumblings for change if it does not pan out. Don't fall into it. There are some big question marks going into this year but I think Bo and the Boys are up for the job FOR THE LONG HAUL!! And don't forget I said IF it does not pan out. GBR

These predictions are a trap. Everyone here in Huskerdom will have high expectations based on these predictions, then reality will set in and there will be grumblings for change if it does not pan out. Don't fall into it. There are some big question marks going into this year but I think Bo and the Boys are up for the job FOR THE LONG HAUL!! And don't forget I said IF it does not pan out. GBR

First of all unlike Nebraska, MOs defense at the end of last year was pathetic and KUs was as well.. Since they werent learning a new defense what was there excuse..

Except for the Dline last year NU was green as grass on D and learning a new scheme.. The huskers had one starter in the secondary at the start of last year that had actually started and very little depth.. The LBs were in the same boat. Dillard went down with an injury and Cody Glenn was suspended. This year the Huskers are in far better shape just in terms of depth and a years experience in the system now.. If Defense is going to be a factor and Bo thinks the D will be greatly improved.. I think NU has an edge here.

NU will be able to put a little more speed on defense this year too..

As far as the running backs are concerned... Helu is considered by many to be among the top backs returning in the conferance. There is no reason to think he wont.. Frankly NU did not have the whole sale losses on offense that MO did..

NU is loaded at TE and while they are not starting entirely from scratch at receiver either.. Granted Holt, Paul others will have to step up no doubt.. One thing I dont think can be over looked is the return of Christianson on the Oline.. He apears to be back in football shape. The coaches on counting on him.. The speed NU has on offense at some point is going to play a huge factor.. Watson said they are much faster this year. Actually he said they are faster than at any time since he has been at NU... It would seem the key perphaps is at QB.. Its going to come down to how Lee handles the intangibles.. Lee is a considered a great athlete. What he had/has to learn how to do is play with in the offense.

No one said its going to be easy.. but the Missouri writer is clueless... NU fans should have higher expectations...This is not podunk U