tommie frazier at football 202

hack

It's too bad we can't get Tommie to come back as part of the QB coach and teach his skills to the new guys. I can only imagine what Spano and Green would be like under Tommie "Fraz-uhhh!"'s tutelage.

Great to see Tommie back though. The greatest NU QB evah!!

Really? I don't think Tommie did so well as a coach. He was an incredible athlete . . . but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a great teacher. Also I don't know how useful his knowledge would be with our current offensive philosophy.

No, Tommie was not a good coach, but so far as skills go, even in this offense, I'd take him over virtually any other player in the country. Contrary to many people's belief, TF could throw the ball and a trend toward spread option would probably only have further complimented his abilities. Besides, Tommie didn't just win with his legs or his arm, Tommie won with his heart. He may have been a jerk sometimes, but he knew how to win, and his teammates believed he would.

??? I didn't disparage his physical skills did I?

It's too bad we can't get Tommie to come back as part of the QB coach and teach his skills to the new guys. I can only imagine what Spano and Green would be like under Tommie "Fraz-uhhh!"'s tutelage.

Great to see Tommie back though. The greatest NU QB evah!!

Really? I don't think Tommie did so well as a coach. He was an incredible athlete . . . but that doesn't necessarily translate to being a great teacher. Also I don't know how useful his knowledge would be with our current offensive philosophy.

No, Tommie was not a good coach, but so far as skills go, even in this offense, I'd take him over virtually any other player in the country. Contrary to many people's belief, TF could throw the ball and a trend toward spread option would probably only have further complimented his abilities. Besides, Tommie didn't just win with his legs or his arm, Tommie won with his heart. He may have been a jerk sometimes, but he knew how to win, and his teammates believed he would.

??? I didn't disparage his physical skills did I?

I didn't think so, I took it to mean you just didn't think his abilities where best suited to the new offensive schemes. I understand the point, but think that with his overall talent he would have been just as effective today.

Had Tommie done a better job as RB coach at Baylor, he wouldn't have ended up at Doane. I agree though, he could possibly be put to good use by the AD a in fund raising capacity and propably with recruiting as well.

I doubt they would have him do recruiting, especially if it's true what they say about his ability to connect with kids in his coaching runs.

And Sorry I didn't realize you were making a point!

Listen. This isn't a place for any grudges to be aired. If you have some beef with me we can take it to the woodshed. Let's not crap in someone's thread for no reason, got it?

Where did that come from? All he said was "Gill was mine.." and you flip out? Good God.

He failed at Doane because he was so driven. There were not, nor are there many athletes like Tommy. His only mission was to graduate and win. He did both. He is a living legend in Nebraska.

Could he coach Tebow, you bet your ass, but 90% of todays athletes do not want what Tommy preaches. Could he work under Bo, thinking about it possibly, because Bo is looking for what Tommie was. 100% college football player, if they make the pros fine, but life and mission are to win at Nebraska.

Could he help on the fund raising tour, my guess is by millions. He obviously has changed in some regards with the rave review he is getting in the article.

But would I want him coaching at Nebraska the way he coached at Doane, most likely not. As stated todays athletes are not of the same mold. Too hard core is my guess. In a couple of years when Bo has what he wants here, he might be a fit, but I do not think our players currently would adapt well to him.

If we were measuring hard core determination and love for Nebraska and winning, Bo would come in a distant second to Tommy. That is good on some points and not so good on others.

And in no way did I mean my comments to be negative towards Tommie, I love his attitude and drive.

He failed at Doane because he was so driven. There were not, nor are there many athletes like Tommy. His only mission was to graduate and win. He did both. He is a living legend in Nebraska.

Could he coach Tebow, you bet your ass, but 90% of todays athletes do not want what Tommy preaches. Could he work under Bo, thinking about it possibly, because Bo is looking for what Tommie was. 100% college football player, if they make the pros fine, but life and mission are to win at Nebraska.

Could he help on the fund raising tour, my guess is by millions. He obviously has changed in some regards with the rave review he is getting in the article.

But would I want him coaching at Nebraska the way he coached at Doane, most likely not. As stated todays athletes are not of the same mold. Too hard core is my guess. In a couple of years when Bo has what he wants here, he might be a fit, but I do not think our players currently would adapt well to him.

If we were measuring hard core determination and love for Nebraska and winning, Bo would come in a distant second to Tommy. That is good on some points and not so good on others.

And in no way did I mean my comments to be negative towards Tommie, I love his attitude and drive.

:clap

Good post!

And Sorry Knapple..You're right.

I've been in an ornery mood this week with some kind of fever.

Something about being included with "everybody having Tommy being their favourite" just rubbed me the wrong way..Although he's deffinitely one of my Favs..And the part about calling Warren a "fat ass" endeared him to me even more ...

Something about being included with "everybody having Tommy being their favourite" just rubbed me the wrong way..Although he's deffinitely one of my Favs..And the part about calling Warren a "fat ass" endeared him to me even more ...

Sorry to derail this thread (again), but you're forgiven. And my sincere apologies for being such a #!$& in the other thread. Sometimes I bulldog on points that are really... pointless.

We're all Husker fans. I'd have a beer with you any time. :thumbs

Sorry to derail this thread (again), but you're forgiven. And my sincere apologies for being such a #!$& in the other thread. Sometimes I bulldog on points that are really... pointless.

We're all Husker fans. I'd have a beer with you any time. :thumbs

Not sure what other thread you're talking about, but then again..I've been a little delirious lately..

And sorry to the new cat person (Chesire?)..That distrust of cat's was mainly a joke..My Big Brother was..and my Son are both "Cat people"..sometimes my giving them a hard time carries over here to virtual life.

And don't tell anyone..I sorta like cats too..I even brought home a kitten once for my Siberian Husky to chew on..er..play with.

Great to hear that guys. We may not agree all the time but it is never about a lack of of Love for our Huskers.

Now kiss and make up.

lips.jpg

If I remember - one of his big bug-a-boos at Doane was he recruited outside of their usual SE Nebraska territory and he went to Florida and Texas. And he commuted from either Lincoln or even Omaha. I think this upset some of the establishment there. Having lived in small towns, I know this isn't difficult.

If I remember - one of his big bug-a-boos at Doane was he recruited outside of their usual SE Nebraska territory and he went to Florida and Texas. And he commuted from either Lincoln or even Omaha. I think this upset some of the establishment there. Having lived in small towns, I know this isn't difficult.

Actually Tommie screamed profainities constantly at the players and wouldn't teach just say that is wrong. His coaching staff hated him and said he was terrible, and he lost nearly all of the players. They were down to less than 30 players his last year because they all quit and he couldn't convince anyone to come play for him.

Just because you are a great athlete doesn't make you a great coach...cases in point:

Larry Bird

Isaiah Thomas

etc..

The TO and Frazier situation is interesting at best. Frazier was a gift to TO. TO probably doesn't win a NC without Frazier. Frazier was the IT factor that showed the rest of the team how to win. However, most of Frazier's teammates hated him. There was almost a mutiny in 95' when Frazier was handed the starting job because the team wanted Berringer to be the starter. This is where TO stepped in and shows why he's a better coach than most. TO difused the ticking bomb, and the rest as we say is history. I'm hopefule the University will find some role for Frazier to fill. He's good to have around, and he's a good reminder of how things used to be. However, I'm not sure having him on the coaching staff would really be a very good idea.