Cody Green

Shatel: Redshirt for Green?

One of the more intriguing story lines at Nebraska's fall camp is freshman quarterback Cody Green. What do you do with him?

Does he automatically redshirt? Or would Bo Pelini and Shawn Watson be tempted to use him like Ohio State's Terrelle Pryor last season?

In a perfect world, Zac Lee is all-terrific, Kody Spano is a healthy, capable insurance policy and Green redshirts. That's the logical scenario.

But let's see how Green performs this month. I don't expect him to beat out Lee; that would be an improbable leap. But Green was here in the spring. What if he makes it close?

What if he plays well enough to make Pelini think he can be a difference-maker in a designated role off the bench? Goal line. Third down. Whatever.

Pelini redshirted 23 players last year, but that was year one. It will be interesting to see Pelini's philosophy toward playing newbies. A lot of big-time schools do it. It's a great recruiting tool. And this isn't 1978 anymore. A lot of kids can step right in.

If playing Green could provide an edge in a year with some tough road games, and it could show future recruits that Pelini will play freshmen, you wonder if it's worth doing. This is one to keep an eye on.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090810/SPORTS/708109892

Errr.... did Shatel have the day off on April 19th or something? Green wasn't impressive at all at the Spring Game. He seemed OK, but nothing he did made me think he was even close to challenging for the starting job. LaTravis Washington was more impressive and seemed, at the time, more likely to make a push for playing time.

Green will redshirt unless the top two guys go down. If Spano is healthy and ready to go, and it sounds like he is, there's zero reason to burn Green's redshirt with ZLee, Spano and Washington at QB. That would be foolish.

Errr.... did Shatel have the day off on April 19th or something? Green wasn't impressive at all at the Spring Game. He seemed OK, but nothing he did made me think he was even close to challenging for the starting job. LaTravis Washington was more impressive and seemed, at the time, more likely to make a push for playing time.

Green will redshirt unless the top two guys go down. If Spano is healthy and ready to go, and it sounds like he is, there's zero reason to burn Green's redshirt with ZLee, Spano and Washington at QB. That would be foolish.

:yeah

yeah, i could see them trying to use LaTravis in some trick formations/ Joker stuff, but unless we get a couple injuries i see green redshirting.

yeah, i could see them trying to use LaTravis in some trick formations/ Joker stuff, but unless we get a couple injuries i see green redshirting.

That's what I see them doing with LaTravis this year, too. He's SOOOO athletic. He'd knock some LBs down if they didn't wrap him up.

Imagine the Option with ZLee and LaTravis in the backfield. Lee pitches the ball, and LaTravis throws over the defense.... TD, KYLER REED!!!!

For what Green is supposed to bring to the table, I think we have that in spades with ZLee and Spano, and they've both been in the system longer. For pure raw athleticism we have LaTravis.

As many guys as Bo redshirted last year, I would be very surprised to see Green play at all.

Think of Cody Green in the role of Robert Griffin on the Scout Team, though. He'd be ideal training for the Blackshirts.

That's what I see them doing with LaTravis this year, too. He's SOOOO athletic. He'd knock some LBs down if they didn't wrap him up.

Imagine the Option with ZLee and LaTravis in the backfield. Lee pitches the ball, and LaTravis throws over the defense.... TD, KYLER REED!!!!

For what Green is supposed to bring to the table, I think we have that in spades with ZLee and Spano, and they've both been in the system longer. For pure raw athleticism we have LaTravis.

As many guys as Bo redshirted last year, I would be very surprised to see Green play at all.

Think of Cody Green in the role of Robert Griffin on the Scout Team, though. He'd be ideal training for the Blackshirts.

I completely agree, I think we have the tools/talent for this year....Let's get as much playing time out of this kid as we can! Instead of having a true Junior after Lee graduates, imaging an experienced and very talented redshirt sophmore leading the team into 2011.

Nailed it.

True, but I doubt that many guys will redshirt every year under Bo. Sooner or later, some true freshman have to play. Its a recruiting matter, also. Many big time recruits want to play right away, and many times they are ready. Not to mention, it would create a bit of a scholarship problem if 15-20 guys redshirt every year.

True, but I doubt that many guys will redshirt every year under Bo. Sooner or later, some true freshman have to play. Its a recruiting matter, also. Many big time recruits want to play right away, and many times they are ready. Not to mention, it would create a bit of a scholarship problem if 15-20 guys redshirt every year.

You're right. What I was getting at wasn't that Bo will redshirt that many every year, it's that he's not afraid to redshirt guys. I think that's what we should take from last year. I'm certain we'll play the right guys, freshman or not.

If Bo gets a reputation of getting players into the NFL, it won't matter whether he redshirts true freshmen or not with regards to recruiting. It's few and far between to find players that are ready to play as true freshmen. We need to continue to redshirt as many as possible.

If playing Green could provide an edge in a year with some tough road games, and it could show future recruits that Pelini will play freshmen, you wonder if it's worth doing. This is one to keep an eye on.

So I'm supposed to believe that if NU finds itself down a score on the road late in a game, inside the opponents 15 and Zac Lee goes down. Your going to tell me Coach Watts is going to put the game on the shoulders of the youngest and most inexperienced QB in the group?

I think Knapple is right about the spring game. Either we weren't watching the same game, or someone has been watching the wrong player. Because Green's game is far more Jamarcus Russell than it is Micheal Vick. So why put him over the coals when you have a live arm in Washington, (although I can't speak to his accuracy just yet) and a (supposedly) healthy Kody Spano? Who I think would have the advantage of more time in the system to help him manage offense.

Who knows, maybe I'm just not drinking all the Lime Green Kool-Aid just yet. KOOLAID.gif

So I'm supposed to believe that if NU finds itself down a score on the road late in a game, inside the opponents 15 and Zac Lee goes down. Your going to tell me Coach Watts is going to put the game on the shoulders of the youngest and most inexperienced QB in the group?

I think Knapple is right about the spring game. Either we weren't watching the same game, or someone has been watching the wrong player. Because Green's game is far more Jamarcus Russell than it is Micheal Vick. So why put him over the coals when you have a live arm in Washington, (although I can't speak to his accuracy just yet) and a (supposedly) healthy Kody Spano? Who I think would have the advantage of more time in the system to help him manage offense.

Who knows, maybe I'm just not drinking all the Lime Green Kool-Aid just yet. KOOLAID.gif

Green did look good passing in the second half, but I completely agree with knapplc that he just didn't look comfortable in the game at the start. I also think that Latravis may be a faster and better runner than Green, Latravis did run an option offense in HS and was decently recruited to play QB coming out. Green is a decent runner, but not the burner that Shatel seems to make him out to be.