Cody Green

Green did look good passing in the second half, but I completely agree with knapplc that he just didn't look comfortable in the game at the start. I also think that Latravis may be a faster and better runner than Green, Latravis did run an option offense in HS and was decently recruited to play QB coming out. Green is a decent runner, but not the burner that Shatel seems to make him out to be.

I think if it comes down to LaTravis, especially early in the season and maybe all season (not really sure what we're getting here with the guy), we'll shift the offense into a heavy run-oriented attack, most likely focusing on the zone read. Anyone who saw LW throw in the Spring Game knows he has a cannon, but throwing just isn't his game. He's fast and agile and would be an absolute beast to take down. If we're in a position to start him, he won't be running the Wats Coast offense.

And yeah - I don't know what Shatel is talking about here with Green. If I had to guess I'd say it has more to do with needing something to write about since practices are 95% closed to the press, and he's written about most everyone else already.

Otherwise... this story doesn't make a lot of sense....?

Green did look good passing in the second half, but I completely agree with knapplc that he just didn't look comfortable in the game at the start.

Totally understandable that we're skeptical about Cody playing year 1. However, most of that skepticism is coming from what we saw in the spring game. I know it wasn't all that long ago, but keep this in mind: When Cody played in that game he was still 17 years old (didn't turn 18 til June). For his entire time at NU during the spring semester, whether in class or in team workouts, he must have felt pretty uncomfortable being so young, away from home, not having other incoming freshmen to gel with, etc.

My guess (hope) is that he's much more comfortable now. Not just with the offense, but with the idea of being a leader of the new guys. He's been there months longer than the other freshmen. He's run the offense and can help teach it to the younger guys. Teachers always learn just as much if not more than students, especially when they're putting it to practice on a daily basis.

This is why there's a small part of me that believes Cody Green will indeed play this season. Is it realistic? Maybe not, but like other guys have said, I hope he is so good that it forces the coaching staff to get him in there.

Totally understandable that we're skeptical about Cody playing year 1. However, most of that skepticism is coming from what we saw in the spring game. I know it wasn't all that long ago, but keep this in mind: When Cody played in that game he was still 17 years old (didn't turn 18 til June). For his entire time at NU during the spring semester, whether in class or in team workouts, he must have felt pretty uncomfortable being so young, away from home, not having other incoming freshmen to gel with, etc.

My guess (hope) is that he's much more comfortable now. Not just with the offense, but with the idea of being a leader of the new guys. He's been there months longer than the other freshmen. He's run the offense and can help teach it to the younger guys. Teachers always learn just as much if not more than students, especially when they're putting it to practice on a daily basis.

This is why there's a small part of me that believes Cody Green will indeed play this season. Is it realistic? Maybe not, but like other guys have said, I hope he is so good that it forces the coaching staff to get him in there.

Is there something about Green that makes him a focus for you, or are you just saying that you hope we have a QB who is so good the coaches have to play him?

What if that guy who is so good is Zac Lee? Or LaTravis Washington? Or Kody Spano?

Is there something about Green that makes him more important to play, or is it just that you want a good QB?

Is there something about Green that makes him a focus for you, or are you just saying that you hope we have a QB who is so good the coaches have to play him?

What if that guy who is so good is Zac Lee? Or LaTravis Washington? Or Kody Spano?

Is there something about Green that makes him more important to play, or is it just that you want a good QB?

Seeing it like that, I guess its not just Cody. I would love to see any true freshmen play a bit, because that means we have some great athletes for many years to come, as well as the present. Not saying I want an all freshmen team or anything, just that we don't need to redshirt all of them.

Speaking specifically of Cody Green, what I was referring to was that the inexperience he faced in the spring could very well be dwindling because he was here early and learned many things he otherwise would not have if he didn't come early. I'm thinking he knows that its a huge advantage for him and that he's developing into a good leader for the younger crew.

Speaking specifically of Cody Green, what I was referring to was that the inexperience he faced in the spring could very well be dwindling because he was here early and learned many things he otherwise would not have if he didn't come early. I'm thinking he knows that its a huge advantage for him and that he's developing into a good leader for the younger crew.

Either Lee or Spano (I don't think both, though) came early like Green did. I think we have more experience at QB than most people unfamiliar with the program (read: sportswriters/voters) know, so I think we'll be OK there. I think ZLee's time here, and maturity, will work in his and the team's favor.

I would be shocked to see anyone besides Lee start, and I would be shocked to see Green play this year.

Unless Green is just that good, I wouldn't throw him in. Especially if all he'll get is some cleanup duty. If at all possible, give him the RS. It gives him another year to physically and mentally prepare for his future at Nebraska. Now if it's the difference between the division and Cody's RS, put him in. Anything short of that, on the bench. See you next year.

As many guys as Bo redshirted last year, I would be very surprised to see Green play at all.

True, but I doubt that many guys will redshirt every year under Bo. Sooner or later, some true freshman have to play. Its a recruiting matter, also. Many big time recruits want to play right away, and many times they are ready. Not to mention, it would create a bit of a scholarship problem if 15-20 guys redshirt every year.

If Bo gets a reputation of getting players into the NFL, it won't matter whether he redshirts true freshmen or not with regards to recruiting. It's few and far between to find players that are ready to play as true freshmen. We need to continue to redshirt as many as possible.

exactly!

Cody Green is your starting QB before the end of the season, and yes he is that good

I hope you are right. Would you like to make a bet though? I think the only way Green sees the field is if Lee get injured. <knocks on wood>

Yeah I don't see it either, I think that statement really under estimates Lee's abilities. I think Lee will be really really good, Green will get his shot in 2011.

Cody Green is your starting QB before the end of the season, and yes he is that good

Will Compton is "that good" too, and he rode the pine all season long, because we didn't have a terrible need at the position. With three QBs, two of whom are supposed to be pretty darned good, there's no way we put 2014 ahead of 2009.

Either Lee or Spano (I don't think both, though) came early like Green did. I think we have more experience at QB than most people unfamiliar with the program (read: sportswriters/voters) know, so I think we'll be OK there. I think ZLee's time here, and maturity, will work in his and the team's favor.

I would be shocked to see anyone besides Lee start, and I would be shocked to see Green play this year.

Spano. Being able to be here for the Spring was one of the reasons he dropped/was dropped from OK State and switched to us. Lee, I think was, but he was injured that first spring.

Will Compton is "that good" too, and he rode the pine all season long, because we didn't have a terrible need at the position. With three QBs, two of whom are supposed to be pretty darned good, there's no way we put 2014 ahead of 2009.

They almost pulled Compton's redshirt off at least once during a tense game, then cooler heads prevailed.