Lawrence Phillips

JGS30

Yes Michael, I see you noticed KU's 2009 record. I will unfold my full rankings for the Big 12 North and South very soon. Perhaps this afternoon. They will be shocking. Many posters will be thrown off and surprised, but after many, many hourse examining the scheudle of the teams, I've come to the conclusion that KU will finish 9-3. Stay tuned for Nebraska's prediction.

:: sits on edge of seat ::

Just saw on ESPN this morning that Lawrence Phillips is facing a possible 25 years in the joint for his toubles back in 2005 and some recent fellony charges. This is just sad. To think about how much talent this guy had, and to piss it all away.

When I saw his name on the ESPN ticker, I was really hoping that it would be something positive about this guy.

Can't say it's all that shocking.

Nice sig by the way. Putting your prediction out there already, huh? Oklahoma and Texas are both losses...is the other one Nebraska?

Yes Michael, I see you noticed KU's 2009 record. I will unfold my full rankings for the Big 12 North and South very soon. Perhaps this afternoon. They will be shocking. Many posters will be thrown off and surprised, but after many, many hourse examining the scheudle of the teams, I've come to the conclusion that KU will finish 9-3. Stay tuned for Nebraska's prediction.

I'm certain it will be as accurate and detailed as your spelling.

I mean, it's just so damn depressing. People continue to judge him even though the only thing they know about him is what they read in the paper. He had a childhood we can't even imagine. He will probably be in jail for the rest of his life. Why can't they just let him be?

And if he had played for Colorado...

I get what you guys were saying, but JGS30 obviously isn't doing that and isn't that kind of fan. I don't think he could have been more even-keeled in his first post. The reaction is kind of overblown, I feel. The only thing JGS30 suffers from are delusions that KU is good. It's OK, though - a common affliction, and I think we might have a cure in the works for that.

I mean, it's just so damn depressing. People continue to judge him even though the only thing they know about him is what they read in the paper. He had a childhood we can't even imagine. He will probably be in jail for the rest of his life. Why can't they just let him be?

Because at some point, as an individual, you have to stand up and say that the reason your life is f'ed up is because you're stupid. Phillips has never, to my knowledge, done that.

Blaming mommie/daddie only goes so far before it becomes grossly pathetic. LP is a grown man and it's WAY past the time for him to stop blaming everyone around him for his failures and take a long hard look into the mirror.

Furthermore, LP received way more "passes" for his violent, aggregious conduct than any other nobody would ever receive, simply because he was a star football player.

Because at some point, as an individual, you have to stand up and say that the reason your life is f'ed up is because you're stupid. Phillips has never, to my knowledge, done that.

Blaming mommie/daddie only goes so far before it becomes grossly pathetic. LP is a grown man and it's WAY past the time for him to stop blaming everyone around him for his failures and take a long hard look into the mirror.

Furthermore, LP received way more "passes" for his violent, aggregious conduct than any other nobody would ever receive, simply because he was a star football player.

100% correct. Nice post Jen

bulls_eye.jpg

Lawrence Phillips...not much you can say about him

Well, you could say "dirtbag", "stain" and "not worth the trouble".

I am not throwing him in anyone's face though. People need chances, every coach takes a few chances, this one didn't work out famously. It happens. Oh, and nice post earlier Jen. No matter what, at some point, people need to own their own success and man up... No one is destined to do what LP has done, some just have tougher road, doesn't justify infinite wrong behaviour.

Don't really see why it makes a difference who starts the thread.

Because there are people who love nothing more than to bring up dirt on an opponent. You see it all the time, especially in SEC boards talking about SEC opponents. LP is one of the favorites of the Husker bashers out there. I have yet to see a time when LP made a headline for yet another crime that it wasn't posted by some non-Husker fan in some board that I frequent. It gets tedious, especially when there are former Huskers out there doing good things, things that are in the news, and those don't get posted by the same people.

On a scale of one to ten this is probably a two. It's not a big deal. But you asked.

100% correct. Nice post Jen

bulls_eye.jpg

I don't think we should bash JGS30 for posting this just because of his interest in LP.

I even heard the local (AZ) Hard-rock radio guys talking about this today, and delayed what I was doing just to hear what the latest was on him..(They were speculating that he shanked someone in prison).

I've also been so used to hearing bad things about Lawrence, that I'd already forgotten about it until I read the headline to this thread.

I was starting to do some volunteer work in Lincoln just before I moved out here..

In taking some classes for it, I was told about some of the consequences of going through a childhood without initial human contact by a primary caregiver (which it sounds like LP never had).

In a nutshell...Your brain's ability to associate cause/effect is permanently lost in some or even most cases...From Day-1 and for the first ~6-8 months, it's very critical that you have one primary "parent" to provide human contact (touch) to comfort you when you are crying..hungry..whatever..the neurons in your brain are still in the development stage where you learn cause/effect in relation to your environment.

I'm not around LP or even ever met him, but I also doubt he ever used or even was aware of his past as an excuse for his actions..I guessing his response has always been, "I dunno".

I've usually tried to not be one to point out scapegoats or blame for why some people do what they do..other than to try to prevent things like this from happening again.

It's really hard to give up on a person, but sometimes you just might have to come to the realization that the damage to his psyche is permanent...It's up to our own collective conscience how we isolate/punish individuals like this.

It's really hard to give up on a person, but sometimes you just might have to come to the realization that the damage to his psyche is permanent...It's up to our own collective conscience how we isolate/punish individuals like this.

Lots of good stuff in your post but this really stuck out to me. Even with some knowledge of psychology and behavior disorders, it's hard to fathom that some people are unreachable. But they exist, and there's a time when you do have to dissociate yourself from the situation.

Maybe jail is what he needs. Maybe he needed to join the military instead of play football. I'm just tired of hearing about "former Nebraska running back" LP 12 years after he played his last game here.

I'm just tired of hearing about "former Nebraska running back" LP 12 years after he played his last game here.

Everybody here always says this. But the article starts "Former NFL running back Lawrence Phillips..." :dunno

Every article mentions he played here.

Link 1

Phillips, a former NFL and University of Nebraska running back, was accused of choking his girlfriend until she lost consciousness Aug. 2, 2005, and again Aug. 13, 2005.

Link 2

The 34-year-old Phillips, a standout at Nebraska before moving on to the NFL, faces up to 25 years in state prison after being found guilty of seven counts, including false imprisonment and assault with great bodily injury.

Link 3

The 34-year-old Phillips, a former NFL and University of Nebraska running back, was accused of choking his girlfriend until she lost consciousness on two different occasions in August of 2005.

Those are the first three results from Google news. I could go on and on, but we all know he's always associated with Nebraska. We all know why, too, and that is what it is. I'm just tired of seeing Nebraska's name mentioned with this guy every single time he gets in trouble with the law.