Rex Burkhead Hype...

Been reading over at HI that Rex is doing so well that not only will he be the #3 RB, but that Ward and Okafor are losing ground. Positive comments on his athleticism, hands and moves. As much as I liked to hear all that, I am maybe more impressed with his character. This young man was BORN to wear scarlet and cream. Check out his run at the 1 minute mark. Dang!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycDP5s9t-kM

:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t:w00t

If there's one guy we can count on to be a team player and not break any rules, it's this guy. Not that there aren't others, there are a lot of upstanding players on the team actually, but I think Rex is a cut above. At least we get to see what he can do this year, which I think could be a lot.

After seeing some of his highlight clips, this guy likes to use the spin move as much as Helu likes to go airborne. He also has good hands to be a receiving back, i think there is alot more to this young man than what meets the eye. Especially a 4.46

For me, Rex was my favorite land in the class last year. I think he will go down as a "great" husker back. THe opportunity now with Q out just got much bigger. Rex has game and give him time to adjust ... I think Husker Nation will find him to be a great leader.

I also believe he's gonna go to the pro's and he'll be a great NFL RB. You can't teach heart, guts and determination ... and again, this boy has game. Let him body catch up to his desire and talent ... and this guy "studs" out in the later part of his sophomore year and we get two awesome years with Sir Rex!

He's gonna be a great ambassador of the "N" and stir the hearts of the Husker faithful. Although my heart sunk with the loss of Q ... it rose from the dead hearing that Rex is #2.

SheepdogMark

Dallas, TX

Granted all of the following should be taken with a grain of salt because he hasn't played a down of college football...

but...

Is Rex Burkhead the real deal? I remember people saying this guy was a top player in the nation talent, but quite frankly being a white RB hurt him and feeling he couldn't be a RB labeled him a "Guy with no position"

I just can't believe how much people are talking about him. Not only the media, who pretty much immediately labeled him as a Freshmen who will play in 09 but also Watson assuring people that Burkhead WILL play in 09 in some capacity.

Even tonight Lane Grindle, who I think is great but can get carried away with seeing Red sometimes, but he was saying how he thinks he would take a guy like Burkhead who will work his ass off and play hard for 4 years over Bryce Brown who was the nations top player.

I guess I just over looked Rex, what do you guys think? Are you buying the hype do you think Rex is as good as advertised?

Maybe this has already been brought up, but watching clips from Burkhead, I started thinking I was watching Adrian Peterson...then I saw some things that I don't even know if AP could do. I really think this kid could be really good, if not standout...I wouldn't be surprised if he was sharing time with Helu by season's end. It sucks to lose Q, but he might have opened a nice door when he was booted out.

Maybe this has already been brought up, but watching clips from Burkhead, I started thinking I was watching Adrian Peterson...then I saw some things that I don't even know if AP could do. I really think this kid could be really good, if not standout...I wouldn't be surprised if he was sharing time with Helu by season's end. It sucks to lose Q, but he might have opened a nice door when he was booted out.

I understand hype, but a kid who has never played a snap of D-1 football being compared to the best running back in the NFL is a little silly at this point.

I understand hype, but a kid who has never played a snap of D-1 football being compared to the best running back in the NFL is a little silly at this point.

I just call it like I see it. No, he isn't AP. No, he may never be that good. No, he hasn't taken a D-I snap. But rather than smoking weed and being shown the door, I'd rather that the hype may play out and he becomes a great Nebraska running back who values his teammates, coaches, and program, and makes the most out of the opportunity.

For me, Rex was my favorite land in the class last year. I think he will go down as a "great" husker back. THe opportunity now with Q out just got much bigger. Rex has game and give him time to adjust ... I think Husker Nation will find him to be a great leader.

I also believe he's gonna go to the pro's and he'll be a great NFL RB. You can't teach heart, guts and determination ... and again, this boy has game. Let him body catch up to his desire and talent ... and this guy "studs" out in the later part of his sophomore year and we get two awesome years with Sir Rex!

He's gonna be a great ambassador of the "N" and stir the hearts of the Husker faithful. Although my heart sunk with the loss of Q ... it rose from the dead hearing that Rex is #2.

SheepdogMark

Dallas, TX

Well said, Sheep....

As a huge Rex fan, I was just hoping he could get into the game, late for some mop up duties or come in as third down slot back. He guy flat out leap and will catch anything near him. This is a lot of pressure on him a little too early in his career. It's not like playing at SMU, where he could of been an impact player his whole career.

(I was hoping he would stay closer to home, so Rick and Robyn and a third of Plano could still watch him play in person).

as good as helu is, it sounds like Rex is the Rx that the huskers need.

corny? yes.

that's his nickname now. The Prescription.

He's already nicknamed Superman, but I like the Prescription.

Aspirin is kind of a do-all. We could call him that.

I can just here the play by play now.

"Lee takes the snap, looks left, turns back and flips a screen pass to Burkhead. He breaks a tackle, follows his block...oh what a move, he left that Missouri defender grasping for air. He will score. Rex "The Prescription" Burkhead had just what the doctor ordered on that play for Nebraska."

I got a chance to talk to Rex at the end of Fan Day. He hung around on the field to sign autographs along with some of the upperclassmen and my son. I was impressed by his down to earth attitude. Both my son and I came away feeling like we just became huge Rex Burkhead fans.

I get the sense where the coaches can see some intangibles in him. Not all kids at that age GET IT!