Brook Berringer Question

Hey this might be a random question, but I'm just curious what was Brook's draft stock like before he passed away? I was just looking him up, and didn't realize he died that close to draft day...

Brook is prolly my earliest memory of anything husker football and I don't remember much, but I remember him being my first player i really followed and then he died and I remember being upset, but didn't know much about his draft stock or what his chances at Pro ball were...

That was an extremely weak QB class and there wasn't a QB taken in the first round at all. Brook was projected as the #1 or at worst #2 QB in the draft (behind Michigan State's QB Tony Banks) and thus probably would have gone in the mid-late 2nd or early 3rd round.

- however at the time it was speculated that the Carolina Panthers wanted him so badly that they would have been prepared to take him as high as the #8th overall pick in the first round if they thought someone was going to try to take him before they could pick or trade up for him.

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the Broncos were thinking of picking him up too, maybe the Buffalo Bills even. It was a tragic loss to have #18 gone too soon. Before the plane crash, I had planned to make whatever team Brook was going to play for in the NFL my favorite team, and I was going to buy his NFL Jersey after the draft too.

Geez, in a few more years, he's going to be remembered as the probable #1 pick.

From the SI Vault: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/art...08053/index.htm

Last Saturday was also draft day, and it held a special promise for Brook Berringer. Unlike many Nebraska players who are drafted each year, Berringer had not been an unqualified star. Except for eight terrific games in the fall of 1994, when he saved the Corn-huskers' perfect season, Berringer had been the understudy for Tommie Frazier, one of the most productive quarterbacks in college football history. But now it seemed likely Berringer would be drafted into the NFL—if not on Saturday, perhaps on Sunday—finally with another chance at recognition. "He was looking at it as a fresh start," said center Aaron Graham. In Berringer's hometown of Goodland, Kans., his widowed mother, Jan, had ordered food for the party that would accompany Brook's selection and had arranged to rent a satellite dish so that she could tune in the later rounds of the draft.

--

His stock was rising as he had good workouts with the NFL, and it's possible some team was staying quiet about plans to draft him fairly high so that no other team would trump them. It was a weak draft for QBs, but Banks actually did step in and start as a rookie. It's not really useful to compare the potential and memory of Berringer with the reality of how other QBs like Hoying and Kanell turned out.

This isn't totally related, but reading these posts made me remember... I was working as a cop in Goodland Ks., during Brook Berringer's playing years for Nebraska and I remember seeing him on TV and thinking, "Man, that kid is so thin, I wonder HOW he holds up...?" Well, one day in I saw him walking up to one of his friend's parent's home (in fact it was the friend that he later was killed with in that tragic crash) and I literally did a double take. That 'thin kid' was like a MOUNTAIN of a man! My LORD it looked like he had 4 foot wide shoulders and was 7 feet tall! It was then I truly began to appreciate the POWER OF THE CORN! I remember that season and how he helped carry that team, inspiring young man. GBR...

Um, he was like 6'4. He didn't have 4' shoulders or even close. I realize after people are gone things get viewed a little different, but come on. From what I remember he was projected anywhere from 2nd round to 4th round. A lot of people forget he had tennis elbow which would have limited him to 20-25 passes per game. At the time, I believe some were viewing him as a resemblance to Steve Young as was a running threat QB.

Um, he was like 6'4. He didn't have 4' shoulders or even close. I realize after people are gone things get viewed a little different, but come on. From what I remember he was projected anywhere from 2nd round to 4th round. A lot of people forget he had tennis elbow which would have limited him to 20-25 passes per game. At the time, I believe some were viewing him as a resemblance to Steve Young as was a running threat QB.

I don't think that get huskin was being serious when he said that and was just explaining that he was bigger in person than what he looked like on TV and was just exaggerating to prove his point about Brooks size.

If any of you haven't read 'The Final Pass' that Brooks mom wrote I highly recommend it. I'll read it from time to time and in my opinion Brook is one reason why we won the National Title in 94'. I don't remember on how high he would've went in the draft but I do remember scouts being in Lincoln and watching Berringer throw the ball to Clester Johnson one of Brooks favorite targets and the scouts came out pretty impressed on how far and accurate Brook could throw the ball.

There's no doubt that Brook was a major part of the 1994 championship, and the way that he accepted his role in 1995 probably did a lot for team unity and kept that team on track.

We'll never know how he'd have done in the NFL, and he was impressing the scouts. But as I recall, that raised him from a big maybe of getting drafted at all, to looking like a 4th, 3rd, or a longshot 2nd rounder.

I never heard any hints of 1st round, though we don't know what would've happened.