Arrival

I am curious what you guys think constitues our arrival back at the table of college footballs elite? I guess for me it is going to take a CC and a BCS bowl win followed by a couple of seasons of atleast making it to the CC. Not necceassarily winning a CC every year because we all know that is impossible but atleast making it to the game a few years in a row and winning it along with a BCS bowl win. Thoughts?

I am curious what you guys think constitues our arrival back at the table of college footballs elite? I guess for me it is going to take a CC and a BCS bowl win followed by a couple of seasons of atleast making it to the CC. Not necceassarily winning a CC every year because we all know that is impossible but atleast making it to the game a few years in a row and winning it along with a BCS bowl win. Thoughts?

I would pretty much echo that. I don't expect to win the conference title every year, but judging by the lack of strength in the North every year, we should at least win our division and compete well in the Big 12 championship.

your criteria seems reasonable --- though if by elite we mean numbered alongside say Florida, LSU, and USC --- then a bit more would be expected. I'd suggest that several CC in a 3-4 year period (maybe 3 out of 4) with at 2 BCS wins (in 3 or more attempts) and a NC in that time period as well --- and being no less than top 5 or so on average for that period. Of course, one might call that the elite of the elite.

To be alongside the second tier of the elite --- say Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma --- then your criteria is perfectly reasonable --- so long as a 4 years of season ending rankings in the top 10 are in view.

Agree that frequenting the CC more often and an occasional BCS game (with a win) would be part of being back in the national spotlight, but we would also need to be competitive in all regular season games as well. We had a great record in 2001 up until the end, and got our @ss handed to us in the last two games of that year and on several different occasions since.

As long as we stay competitive in every game, then we'll be right back in the picture!

Beating a top 10 team...on the road. Anyone want to take a shot in the dark guess at the top 10 team, on the road, where I'd like the Huskers to start?

:lol:

Wow! You guys could be in for some serious disappointment. The only reason we were so dominant in the past is that if you were serious about your football, at all, Lincoln was on your radar. Now, kids see it as a real possibility to go to the BCS at KU, MU, CU, well, pretty much everywhere, but Waco and Ames in our conference. We would have to cheat to accomplish what you've set out so far.

Wow! You guys could be in for some serious disappointment. The only reason we were so dominant in the past is that if you were serious about your football, at all, Lincoln was on your radar. Now, kids see it as a real possibility to go to the BCS at KU, MU, CU, well, pretty much everywhere, but Waco and Ames in our conference. We would have to cheat to accomplish what you've set out so far.

I guess i dont see why you would have to cheat to reach the B12 CC game on a regular basis, especially in the North. There should be no reason we cant become the UT or OU of the north and make it to the CC pretty often and from there it is rolling the dice, you win the CC game and are in a BCS game automatically.

Also, if getting to the CC game on a regular basis and winning on occasion getting us to a BCS game is far to impossible to do without cheating, what are your expectations?

What a remarkably optimistic appraisal. <_<

No cheating is necessary...we'll leave that to teams from the SEC.

Bo is righting the ship and more importantly he's doing it the right way.

If Nebraska can start beating Texas and Oklahoma 50% of the time we'll get out share of elite recruits. Continuity of our coaching staff is also a huge factor. Kids want to play for the same coach(es) who recruited them. The past 5 years have been tough for the Huskers. Coaching changes, uncertainty and struggling on the field have all combined to make recruiting suffer. Bottom line, we start winning against top competition and everything else will take care of itself.

And to answer your question, my idea of "arriving" isn't much different. I would say, over a three-year period, we would need to:

1. Beat at least two top 10 teams

2. Win at least two Big 12 North titles

3. Win at least one Big 12 Title

4. Win at least 29 games

5. Finish in the top five at least once

I'm not a sunshine-pumper and I still think this is realistically possible. OU has accomplished all of these things consistently over the past nine years. And in that period, the South has been considerably stronger than the North. So there's no reason we can't reach the same level if this coaching staff turns out to be as good as we all hope it is.

I wouldn't go as far to say recruiting has suffered at all. Our 07' class was rated very highly and our 08' and 09' classes have plenty of star power to them in Green, Burkhead, Bell, Ankrah, Williams, Martin, Steinkhuler, Reed, Dennard, PJ Smith and more that could emerge. But I will completely agree that the perception of NU football has taken a major hit the past 7 years. Anyway, I will say I think we will be back when we make the CC game 4 out of every 5 years, win a BCS game 2 out of those 4 years and compete for a NC 1 out of those 2 years.

Beating a top 10 team...on the road. Anyone want to take a shot in the dark guess at the top 10 team, on the road, where I'd like the Huskers to start?

:lol:

Yes Jen, I think I have an idea...