Arrival

I am curious what you guys think constitues our arrival back at the table of college footballs elite? I guess for me it is going to take a CC and a BCS bowl win followed by a couple of seasons of atleast making it to the CC. Not necceassarily winning a CC every year because we all know that is impossible but atleast making it to the game a few years in a row and winning it along with a BCS bowl win. Thoughts?

your criteria seems reasonable --- though if by elite we mean numbered alongside say Florida, LSU, and USC --- then a bit more would be expected. I'd suggest that several CC in a 3-4 year period (maybe 3 out of 4) with at 2 BCS wins (in 3 or more attempts) and a NC in that time period as well --- and being no less than top 5 or so on average for that period. Of course, one might call that the elite of the elite.

To be alongside the second tier of the elite --- say Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma --- then your criteria is perfectly reasonable --- so long as a 4 years of season ending rankings in the top 10 are in view.

Wow, you really think Texas, Ohio State, and Oklahoma are second tier of the elite? When was the last time USC played for a NC? When was the last time OU played for a NC?

Winning percentage, past 10 seasons:

1 Boise State 0.844

2 Texas 0.822

3 Oklahoma 0.820

4 Southern Cal 0.780

5 Ohio State 0.770

6 Virginia Tech 0.769

7 Georgia 0.766

8 Florida 0.750

9 Texas Christian 0.740

10 Miami-Florida 0.736

11 Louisiana State 0.727

robsker, your elite group members are ranked 4, 8 and 11. Your second-tier teams are 2, 3 and 5. Might want to rethink your groupings, unless you're going only by number of BCS NC games won.

Winning percentage, past 10 seasons:

1 Boise State 0.844

2 Texas 0.822

3 Oklahoma 0.820

4 Southern Cal 0.780

5 Ohio State 0.770

6 Virginia Tech 0.769

7 Georgia 0.766

8 Florida 0.750

9 Texas Christian 0.740

10 Miami-Florida 0.736

11 Louisiana State 0.727

robsker, your elite group members are ranked 4, 8 and 11. Your second-tier teams are 2, 3 and 5. Might want to rethink your groupings, unless you're going only by number of BCS NC games won.

:blink:

Winning percentage doesn't tell us anything. Put Boise State in the SEC or the Big 12 and you can cut that winning percentage in half.

I am curious what you guys think constitues our arrival back at the table of college footballs elite? I guess for me it is going to take a CC and a BCS bowl win followed by a couple of seasons of atleast making it to the CC. Not necceassarily winning a CC every year because we all know that is impossible but atleast making it to the game a few years in a row and winning it along with a BCS bowl win. Thoughts?

Beating a top 10 team...on the road. Anyone want to take a shot in the dark guess at the top 10 team, on the road, where I'd like the Huskers to start?

:lol:

Yes Jen, I think I have an idea...

I think all of Husker Nation will be rooting for the Hokies against Alabama!! Hopefully that will inspire the Hokies and give them an edge. ;) Of course, we'll be rooting for VT for purely selfish reasons (and because many of us hated/dislike Alabama/SEC), so that cancel out the good will.

As for the topic, I think we'll be back when we win the B12 again. That's what I want - win the conference and the rest will follow.

OK, but I wasn't talking about Boise St. I was comparing Oklahoma, Texas, USC, Florida, Ohio St., and LSU. All are in BCS conferences, so winning percentage does tell us something between them.

Yes and no. All BCS conferences aren't created equal. It's murky when you start comparing percentages, because you have to consider SOS as well, even if you exclude weak conferences and focus only on the subject teams.

Beating a top 10 team...on the road. Anyone want to take a shot in the dark guess at the top 10 team, on the road, where I'd like the Huskers to start?

:lol:

This would be a great start, but I think ultimately winning the Big 12 Title, not just the north.

There are zero chances of being the CC or the MNC with out beating a top ten team.

Beating one on the road has not been done since the Red Sea parted.

Let's crawl, learn to walk and then be concerned about CCG and MNCG.

Most likely not happening this year either way. A chance of playing in the CCG, but winning is not likely.

That will most likely mean 3 more straight losses to top ten teams, two on the road and one at home.

Beating a top ten team anyplace anywhere is the first step we have to take. And that is the first of many to even consider a return to the elite. I see us becoming respectable again, I do not see us on a regular basis being at the level of SC, Florida, LSU, Oklahoma, Ohio State.

Hard to raise the recruiting to the level it needs to be if you do not beat a top 10 team. Most likely will not be this year. All of the above had fantastic recruiting years for 7-8 years. They're loaded at every position 3-4 deep. WE are not there and we are not close. Suh is most likely the only player we have that could start at any of those teams and would be hard pressed at Oklahoma.

Reality as I see it grasshoppers.

Wow! You guys could be in for some serious disappointment. The only reason we were so dominant in the past is that if you were serious about your football, at all, Lincoln was on your radar. Now, kids see it as a real possibility to go to the BCS at KU, MU, CU, well, pretty much everywhere, but Waco and Ames in our conference. We would have to cheat to accomplish what you've set out so far.

You know, this was always the case. If any team wins their games they have "a real possibility" of going to the BCS- even though the difference then was merely that there wasn't a BCS, but the top tier bowl games were the same.

Wow! You guys could be in for some serious disappointment. The only reason we were so dominant in the past is that if you were serious about your football, at all, Lincoln was on your radar. Now, kids see it as a real possibility to go to the BCS at KU, MU, CU, well, pretty much everywhere, but Waco and Ames in our conference. We would have to cheat to accomplish what you've set out so far.

I guess i dont see why you would have to cheat to reach the B12 CC game on a regular basis, especially in the North. There should be no reason we cant become the UT or OU of the north and make it to the CC pretty often and from there it is rolling the dice, you win the CC game and are in a BCS game automatically.

Also, if getting to the CC game on a regular basis and winning on occasion getting us to a BCS game is far to impossible to do without cheating, what are your expectations?

First of all, I've quit expecting other teams to soil their jockstraps and ''lay down'' for us just because we have red N's on our helmets. Back before the 85 scholarship limit, when only a handful or two of teams had a chance at the National Championship, Nebraska offered a scholarship to a kid from Missouri, Kansas, or Colorado and the kid came to Lincoln. Now, we have kids ''committed'' to NU and these other schools come in with a real possibility of taking them from us (Moehler, Terry, Young). So without any real advantage to get better talent than the schools in our division, we're supposed to make it to the CC 4 out of 5 years?

And Jen. We haven't beaten (although we've taken some) OU or UT in like forever, we are now going to start beating them 50% of the time. :wtf Yeah, if we do that, everything WILL take care of itself.

Shyndy. What was always the case? Before the 90's, going anywhere in the Big 8 other than OU or NU was like flushing any chance of a New Year's Day Bowl down the toilet. Today, kids wanting playing time right away and scholarship limits have spread the talent to the point where we can't expect to be better than the other teams in our division. Hopefully it happens, but there's no guarantee.

Anyway, this thread was about what would put us back with the elite, not what we expect to happen. So, yes, regularly playing for the CC and a NC every 10 years is what would make us part of the elite. To expect it is wishful thinking.