SIGNED QB/ATH Jamal Turner

Ohio Pete

with Bronson Marsh taking a Grey Shirt offer and Jamal committing I doubt that NU takes another QB in next years class

Sorry but I have to disagree and go with what others are saying. We are thin on quality QB's... Right now we have Lee, Washington, Green, and Martinez. It is tough to count Spano due to two injuries and Kellog because he is a walk on and has yet to show he will give quality depth beyond being just another guy to work out. With Lee and Washington graduating at the end of 2010 we will only have Green and Martinez as true options at quarterback and we originally wanted Martinez as a safety. Without Carnes this year we need two guys next year. Even if Spano comes back from his injuries to compete well and Kellog develops into a true option it would be best to bring in two high quality guys to really push Green and allow Martinez to move to Safety so we don't waste his athleticism just because we are thin at QB.

At best Spano comes back great and Kellog develops giving us Green, Martinez, Spano, Kellog, and Marsh if you really want to count him. At worst Spano doesn't fully recover (most likely after two ACL's), Kellog remains a walk-on, Marsh shows he doesn't fit as a college QB and moves to Safety (very likely). That would leave us with Green and Martinez as I said before. Take Turner and get another quality 3-4* QB to add competition and really help us out.

+1

Quality is the real kicker.

Carnes being a project (HA! NVM, we won't even get him), Taylor (I don't think I even counted him in my scholarship count) being a guy who had NO shot at all staying at QB until two guys in serious contention for PT went out (Witt, Spano), LTW also having no shot being a QB, all go into it. That's why I don't count Marsh into the equation at all. Any more than I'd count Ron Kellogg, whose name some people have tossed around naming how "stocked" we will be at QB. I think realistically speaking, we are going to be damn razor thin at QB, as if we aren't already. Just having names to throw out, doesn't mean a lot in the end.

i think many people are underestimating taylor martinez and i wouldn't count out spano just yet either.

• Fire 1

+1

Carnes being a project (HA! NVM, we won't even get him), Taylor (I don't think I even counted him in my scholarship count) being a guy who had NO shot at all staying at QB until two guys in serious contention for PT went out (Witt, Spano), LTW also having no shot being a QB, all go into it. That's why I don't count Marsh into the equation at all. Any more than I'd count Ron Kellogg, whose name some people have tossed around naming how "stocked" we will be at QB. I think realistically speaking, we are going to be damn razor thin at QB, as if we aren't already. Just having names to throw out, doesn't mean a lot in the end.

i think many people are underestimating taylor martinez and i wouldn't count out spano just yet either.

I think you're right, I'm probably one of those people.

+1

I recall the coaches speaking highly of Martinez late in the 2009 season and IMO, after 2 major ACL injuries in such a short amount of time, I wonder just how effective Spano will be.

+1

I recall the coaches speaking highly of Martinez late in the 2009 season and IMO, after 2 major ACL injuries in such a short amount of time, I wonder just how effective Spano will be.

Martinez practiced at WR during bowl prep. The word is he will get a shot at QB, but if that doesnt work he will play WR and Watson has drawn out some Wild Cat packages for him as well.

+1

Martinez practiced at WR during bowl prep. The word is he will get a shot at QB, but if that doesnt work he will play WR and Watson has drawn out some Wild Cat packages for him as well.

As athletic as Martinez is, don't be surprised if he becomes NU's version of Jordan Shipley. The kid can fly, but he'll need to learn how to run precise routes in Watson's system. Other than that, I could really see him lighting it up as a WR.