Why we burnt the N.

OwlFamily

I'm over burning the "N" but if anyone stomps on the N at midfield during the coin flip about 70,000 red faithful will be up out of their seats (I'm assuming the other 10,000 are blue hairs from the west stadium that don't get excited about this stuff).

Good luck Saturday.

do you remember when we lost to TX at home, and some longhorn c*&ksmoker planted the TX flag right in the middle of the N in midfield? There was nearly a riot that night!

It's not us that the burning N has to be explained to. I think most of us thought it was pretty cool, especially that picture.

It's the kids on our team who have sacrificed and sweated and struggled through the past few years that are fired up about it.

I think most people poo-poo it when we see the American flag burned in effigy on TV by some third-world nation. But I know soldiers for whom that's a grave insult, and who have since been sent overseas with retribution in mind.

People honor different things. For some it's family, for some it's country, for some it's their school. When people disrespect something you hold in high esteem, it's difficult to just brush it off.

I would imagine that by 10pm Central Time, most of Owl Nation will understand how our team felt about that bonfire. Maybe the team brushed it off. Maybe they don't care.

Maybe they're going to hang 100 points on the board while pitching a shutout.

Excellante! (I made up a word! Wikipedia, here I come.)

I haven't actually talked to anyone who cared about the N burning. I also have no idea why anyone would get pissy about it. Like many others, I think it's kinda cool.

The only thing I can figure is there are definitely some fans that were really, really shaken when Nebraska went through its tough period with Callahan. They may be overly sensitive when it comes to anything that could be perceived as a slight to the program. I'd say those people deserve a good slap in the face, so I think you should burn another N!

I think it is like knapplc said, we as fans may not care as much but the players might. That N represents what they all work for. If you have seen clips of Bo's pre-game speeches, one of them he talks about what that N on the side of their helmet is all about. I think the Staff are putting an emphasis with the players on stressing the status of the program and representing the program, as they should, and are using the N on their helmets as a symbol of that status to be revered. From the tone of Asante, I think they take representing the symbol on their helmets very seriously and that is why this is a big deal to them.

I wasn't addressing the player reactions. They're separate from the fan reactions because their perspective is totally different (like the military vs. civilians as in the example).

Why would the fans care? I don't think we do. My reaction to the burnt "N" is to laugh, because it's cute. But Schnellenberger and FAU shouldn't be worried about my reaction.

You should be worried about the reaction from 6'4" 300 lb, top 5 overall projected NFL draft pick lining up 2 feet from your quarterback.

Other than that, yeah, it's all in good fun. :)

So... I wonder who they're talking about when they say "some Husker fans were upset" in that blog. Like Ebyl, the majority of people I've talked to and read online weren't too concerned about the burning N. I have the pic and I plan to use it for years to come.

Has anyone read a board or forum anywhere where the overall sentiment is anger at this burning? I'm interested in seeing where the angst is centered.

I know we had some folks here who were upset about it, but to my recollection they were in the minority. Anyone know where this base of angry fans lies?

The reason I ask is, I'm wondering if this blog isn't a reaction to Asante's comments from the presser more than comments/angst from "some Husker fans."

I think the perception may be that FAU is grabbing the tiger by the tail, and there's a bit of spin control going on.

It's not us you have to worry about. It's this guy.

doc49694670de751820334516.jpg

you know what is cool about that pic? Helu is laying flat on his stomach, almost saying... 'Suh has got this under control, I am going to take a little rest'. :dumdum

actually i think if you look closely he is laughing at Ducky's superman pose lol

So... I wonder who they're talking about when they say "some Husker fans were upset" in that blog. Like Ebyl, the majority of people I've talked to and read online weren't too concerned about the burning N. I have the pic and I plan to use it for years to come.

Has anyone read a board or forum anywhere where the overall sentiment is anger at this burning? I'm interested in seeing where the angst is centered.

I know we had some folks here who were upset about it, but to my recollection they were in the minority. Anyone know where this base of angry fans lies?

The reason I ask is, I'm wondering if this blog isn't a reaction to Asante's comments from the presser more than comments/angst from "some Husker fans."

I think the perception may be that FAU is grabbing the tiger by the tail, and there's a bit of spin control going on.

On another board that I wont mention, (starts with a R and ends in a S) they were pretty hostile about it. I dont post there because I dont like the boards and they way they make people pay to read.