Why we burnt the N.

OwlFamily

FAU SunSentinel Blog

I truly dont understand why it would cause all the commotion. When Howard said what he said about Texas yes, I could see that. Burning an effigy and having it cause this much consternation seems ludicrous to me.

An interesting read and here are some facts that put our program vs your in perspecitve.

BY THE NUMBERS

I guess some Husker fans were upset when FAU burned that big N.

Get over it.

Nothing personal. A reminder – FAU is entering its ninth season of football. NINE, as in first game played in 2001.

Nebraska has a 110-year head start on the Owls.

FAU is still trying to establish some traditions. It’s kind of tough when the team plays at a high school stadium a dozen miles from campus, and most of the students drive to school and live at home.

Nebraska got its 100th win in 1907. Not sure if Boca Raton even existed back then. FAU has 48 wins.

Nebraska has 297 straight sellouts at its stadium, while FAU has had one sellout at Lockhart.

Nebraska has been to 45 bowl games, FAU to 2.

Nebraska has had 28 walk-ons make it to the NFL. FAU has not had a single player in the NFL.

The Nebraska sellout streak goes back to 1962, and FAU did not even exist at the time.

This isn’t David versus Goliath, it is a minutes-old-baby still gooey versus Goliath.

I can proudly and honestly say I couldn't give 2 craps about FAU burning the N. And actually kind of think its cool or an honor that a 'smaller program' would do that. It's not like they think that their regular season/conference opponents are worth that kind of display and effort. Now, if Missouri, Colorado, etc. does it, that would get under the skin a little.

FAU SunSentinel Blog

I truly dont understand why it would cause all the commotion. When Howard said what he said about Texas yes, I could see that. Burning an effigy and having it cause this much consternation seems ludicrous to me.

An interesting read and here are some facts that put our program vs your in perspecitve.

BY THE NUMBERS

I guess some Husker fans were upset when FAU burned that big N.

Get over it.

Nothing personal. A reminder – FAU is entering its ninth season of football. NINE, as in first game played in 2001.

Nebraska has a 110-year head start on the Owls.

FAU is still trying to establish some traditions. It’s kind of tough when the team plays at a high school stadium a dozen miles from campus, and most of the students drive to school and live at home.

Nebraska got its 100th win in 1907. Not sure if Boca Raton even existed back then. FAU has 48 wins.

Nebraska has 297 straight sellouts at its stadium, while FAU has had one sellout at Lockhart.

Nebraska has been to 45 bowl games, FAU to 2.

Nebraska has had 28 walk-ons make it to the NFL. FAU has not had a single player in the NFL.

The Nebraska sellout streak goes back to 1962, and FAU did not even exist at the time.

This isn’t David versus Goliath, it is a minutes-old-baby still gooey versus Goliath.

:yeah

We just wished you could have burned Lil Red along with the N. But I took no offense to it, and any Husker fan that does needs to grow a pair.

It's not us that the burning N has to be explained to. I think most of us thought it was pretty cool, especially that picture.

It's the kids on our team who have sacrificed and sweated and struggled through the past few years that are fired up about it.

I think most people poo-poo it when we see the American flag burned in effigy on TV by some third-world nation. But I know soldiers for whom that's a grave insult, and who have since been sent overseas with retribution in mind.

People honor different things. For some it's family, for some it's country, for some it's their school. When people disrespect something you hold in high esteem, it's difficult to just brush it off.

I would imagine that by 10pm Central Time, most of Owl Nation will understand how our team felt about that bonfire. Maybe the team brushed it off. Maybe they don't care.

Maybe they're going to hang 100 points on the board while pitching a shutout.

I haven't actually talked to anyone who cared about the N burning. I also have no idea why anyone would get pissy about it. Like many others, I think it's kinda cool.

The only thing I can figure is there are definitely some fans that were really, really shaken when Nebraska went through its tough period with Callahan. They may be overly sensitive when it comes to anything that could be perceived as a slight to the program. I'd say those people deserve a good slap in the face, so I think you should burn another N!

It's not us that the burning N has to be explained to. I think most of us thought it was pretty cool, especially that picture.

It's the kids on our team who have sacrificed and sweated and struggled through the past few years that are fired up about it.

I think most people poo-poo it when we see the American flag burned in effigy on TV by some third-world nation. But I know soldiers for whom that's a grave insult, and who have since been sent overseas with retribution in mind.

People honor different things. For some it's family, for some it's country, for some it's their school. When people disrespect something you hold in high esteem, it's difficult to just brush it off.

I would imagine that by 10pm Central Time, most of Owl Nation will understand how our team felt about that bonfire. Maybe the team brushed it off. Maybe they don't care.

Maybe they're going to hang 100 points on the board while pitching a shutout.

Well said....Well said...

I haven't actually talked to anyone who cared about the N burning. I also have no idea why anyone would get pissy about it. Like many others, I think it's kinda cool.

The only thing I can figure is there are definitely some fans that were really, really shaken when Nebraska went through its tough period with Callahan. They may be overly sensitive when it comes to anything that could be perceived as a slight to the program. I'd say those people deserve a good slap in the face, so I think you should burn another N!

I think it is like knapplc said, we as fans may not care as much but the players might. That N represents what they all work for. If you have seen clips of Bo's pre-game speeches, one of them he talks about what that N on the side of their helmet is all about. I think the Staff are putting an emphasis with the players on stressing the status of the program and representing the program, as they should, and are using the N on their helmets as a symbol of that status to be revered. From the tone of Asante, I think they take representing the symbol on their helmets very seriously and that is why this is a big deal to them.

Its a tradition thing... that red N stands for so much more than just this years team. Like you said, NU football has been around 110 years! During those years, Nebraska found an identity that no other place in the country can match. Its our history, our tradition... that N symbolizes people both past and present who have played for and supported the team through the ups and downs over the past century. To those it offended, its a lack of respect. While it may motivate FAU players to think they can hang with Nebraska, it was childish at best.... but coming from a 9 yr old, we would expect nothing less. FAU can burn the L they take home after Saturday, if they arent too sore to get out of bed the next day! :bonez