Blackshirts

n.e.husker

To those of you wondering where are pass rush was and why we didnt blitz, it was because FAU was in mass protection most of the night. They had 7 or 8 players blocking on most every play. You do this against a team with a dominant D-line. Problem is this only gives you 2 or 3 wrs on a play. Thats why you seen the qb have a lot of time to throw but didnt cause both of their wrs were double covered.

Now a couple reasons why we gave up so many yards. Most of our touchdown drives were not time consuming. We scored fast so our offense was not on the field long, which put our defense back out there sooner than they would like. Plus how many yards were given up in the fourth quarter when the game was well out of hand. what they call junk time.

That being said we still only held them to 3 points. I think thats an excellent job but I also dont think they earned their blackshirts yet.

Exactly right. Ever wonder why USC quarterbacks look like they just grabbed their jerseys off a mountain valley clothesline, smelling like jasmine and flowers? It's because they have about three hundred guys protecting him. Bo said in his presser that he didn't expect to get much pressure. The tradeoff was we got more play on the ball in the secondary. We could have had four INTs if Crick hadn't blasted Smith on the first pick and Asante hadn't dropped one.

The rushing yards is a bit of a surprise. I thought our D-line would have held them under a hundred pretty handily. There were a few missed tackles, sure. And our young LBs had to get to the outside in a hurry on a few plays. No panic button anywhere in sight yet, but in the film room this is something I imagine they'll take a close look at.

Final point is three points. That's all FAU managed. Whatever else your defense might be good at, scoring defense is all that really matters. If they give up 900 yards and one touchdown, they're still dominant, even if it doesn't look good.

As I posted in another thread and a few mentioned in this one, I think there is still some work to do. Holding a team to 3 points is great, but giving up 358 yards isn't so hot. Granted the points on the scoreboard is the most important thing, we still need to cut down on total yards to give them fewer chances.

Even though the game plan didn't call for a huge pass rush, I still expected more from the front four on defense. I expected a double team here or there to open up a sack or two for somebody on the defensive line, but that didn't happen. Credit Rusty Smith for keeping his composure for most of the game.

I think the secondary looked great, minus one blown assignment that cost us 38 yards (even though I think that Fullback was Lawrence's responsibility).

Linebackers looked solid, and think we have a lot to look forward to with four more years with these guys.

Overall, I'd give them a B- to a B. I think some blackshirts are deserved, but only at a few spots as of right now.

Although allowing only 3 points is cool, giving up 350+ yards was not blackshirt at all.

No blackshirts this week.

That being said they are way ahead of last year, talent and depth much better.

I think folks are making far to much of this stat considering nearly a third of their total yards came in the 4th quarter. I was a little surprised at the amount of rushing yards FAU gained. But that is something that can be shored up with practice reps.

My biggest concern was blown assignments in the secondary and the bone headed miscues that where epidemic last season. And I really didn't see a lot of that last night. There was a bit of confusion at times, but the players where flying to the ball, weren't missing a lot of tackles. And for a first game this is better performance than the Huskers have had in years!

As for the Blackshirts, just give them out already! Do we have starters selected? Did they play hard and compete all game? Then I would say they have already earned them.

Over 350 yds of offense and no sacks. Maybe wait one more week.

They did have just as many turnovers as points though :bonez

They'll definitely have to play better for a blackshirt to be awarded. I did like how they subbed in some fresh faces to get them some time in a real game, though, and I think that disrupted some of the continuity quite a bit. Perfect time to do that, IMO.