Green the starter by Conference time?

Billyball

Well it is refreshing to see that others, including a knowledgeable Husker who attended the game shares my thoughts that Green may possibly be given an opportunity to lead this team, out of MERIT and/or necessity this season.

Granted he may not be up to the task and the Big Red will go as far as Zac can take us. I can live with that. I do however think there is a ceiling on that plan. I don't think those who claim Zac and these recievers are as good or better than Ganz and last year's WOs are truly knowledgeable fans.

When we face a real defense and you lock in on a reciever, you will get shut down. When you throw behind a reciever against a good defense you are not going to be successful and you will have some 'pick six'. Lee is not going to run much.

A simple playbook with a great athlete that adds another dimension to the game might well be better than a long playbook with a less athletic and versatile player when we play the biggies. Options well run with Helu, Burk. and Green will worry any defense in the Big 12. Only time will tell.

If our passing game under Lee does not really click against topflite opponents, our running game will get shut down. To me the obvious answer if that does happen, is to try Green. We'll have an idea as to what the coaches are thinking (again they would not have pulled the redshirt in the first game of the season to have him back up Lee for 2 years) as to when they use Green. Only in a mop up role or gets some snaps earlier in the game? If that happens you will know that the staff is thinking they may need him to start. Or so it seems to me.

I hope we are a dominant offensive team clicking on all cylinders or we try Green by the time we play Misery and then the rest of the Big XII. Fans can differ on how to get to the next level where we want to be. GBR

dedhoarse

Green's not going to take over until he learns more of the playbook. He may be the more gifted athlete, but Watson's not going to try to beat VT, Mizzou, Kansas, and Oklahoma with 15 plays on offense.

Green Starter By Conference time! lol :wtf I hope not! That means Lee is down and Green probably only has what 30 plays down by then! :)

Get real! Sure if this was Madden football (or what ever the college version is) you'd red shirt green. Well Bo is all about competition. And bringing the #2 guy up will only keep Lee as crisp as he can be! And Green would be prepped as possible to take over!!

This is a legitimate argument by next spring or if Lee really struggles at some point this season.

So let's wait until Lee really struggles to even talk about this, then.

Harrison Beck looked mighty good in High School. He's a career backup since. We've seen NOTHING from Green to show us that he's not going to be another Beck. The amount of work he has to put in means he's just started climbing the mountain, and people already want to put him at the top. Give it time.

Green Starter By Conference time! lol :wtf I hope not! That means Lee is down and Green probably only has what 30 plays down by then! :)

Get real! Sure if this was Madden football (or what ever the college version is) you'd red shirt green. Well Bo is all about competition. And bringing the #2 guy up will only keep Lee as crisp as he can be! And Green would be prepped as possible to take over!!

I just don't think you understand how a top program would handle a special player that they saw taking over the program.

You go through fall practice. If you think this top player who has 4 yrs of eligibity and a bright future is not capable of being a starter you

REDSHIRT HIM.

If you are undecided about his ability to be a starter you:

KEEP WATCHING BUT KEEP THE REDSHIRT ON UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NEEDED AFTER A QB GOES DOWN.

You would never lift his redshirt in the first game in a mopup role unless you thought he was in the mix for playing time this season and you were thinking he would compete for the starting job.

You don't decide in the first game to let Green give up 1 yr of eligibilty to spend 2 yrs backing up Lee. You would wait.

Bo didn't fall off a turnip truck. He has been watching this all summer. If he ripped the redshirt off of Green and he was too "green" to play this year or didn't know enough plays to contribute, Bo should be a poster instead of a coach. Bo is a coach. He has plans for Green to contribute in a very meaningful way--I would bet start or be a part of a package that is used in important situations to open up a defense and prevent stopping our traditional offense. Bo sensed a need in the offense for this true freshman to be ready to play THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR or he would not have made an uneeded decision in a blowout first game to cut this talented kid's stay with the Big Red by a year. It's really that simple.

Misery burned Gabbert's shirt because they knew he would be starting this year. But they would have never burned his shirt if Daniels had been a Jr nor would any other Div. 1 coach. I would wager you cannot find another 4* freshman who had his shirt burned in the first game to backup a QB with 2 yrs to play. By the time conference season is well underway I would bet that we are like USC riding the shoulders of a talented true freshman QB. I could be wrong, but the logic is all on that side. No offense to Zac who had a good game at FAU and to those Big Red fans who think he will lead us the next two years.

I assume we all want what Bo is keyed in on. What is the best player we can put on the field to give us a chance to win. I'd bet on Bo.

I think this discussion should die down until we are able to gauge an opponent of merit. Winning the Sun Belt Conference championship is good, but we need to see the QB's perform against V Tech to know which one is ready to play. With that being said for right now BO has made the decision to start Zac Lee so unless we are in practices, the meeting rooms, or have some insight that they don't have he will remain the starter until he messes up.

I just don't think you understand how a top program would handle a special player that they saw taking over the program.

You go through fall practice. If you think this top player who has 4 yrs of eligibity and a bright future is not capable of being a starter you

REDSHIRT HIM.

If you are undecided about his ability to be a starter you:

KEEP WATCHING BUT KEEP THE REDSHIRT ON UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NEEDED AFTER A QB GOES DOWN.

You would never lift his redshirt in the first game in a mopup role unless you thought he was in the mix for playing time this season and you were thinking he would compete for the starting job.

You don't decide in the first game to let Green give up 1 yr of eligibilty to spend 2 yrs backing up Lee. You would wait.

Bo didn't fall off a turnip truck. He has been watching this all summer. If he ripped the redshirt off of Green and he was too "green" to play this year or didn't know enough plays to contribute, Bo should be a poster instead of a coach. Bo is a coach. He has plans for Green to contribute in a very meaningful way--I would bet start or be a part of a package that is used in important situations to open up a defense and prevent stopping our traditional offense. Bo sensed a need in the offense for this true freshman to be ready to play THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR or he would not have made an uneeded decision in a blowout first game to cut this talented kid's stay with the Big Red by a year. It's really that simple.

Misery burned Gabbert's shirt because they knew he would be starting this year. But they would have never burned his shirt if Daniels had been a Jr nor would any other Div. 1 coach. I would wager you cannot find another 4* freshman who had his shirt burned in the first game to backup a QB with 2 yrs to play. By the time conference season is well underway I would bet that we are like USC riding the shoulders of a talented true freshman QB. I could be wrong, but the logic is all on that side. No offense to Zac who had a good game at FAU and to those Big Red fans who think he will lead us the next two years.

I assume we all want what Bo is keyed in on. What is the best player we can put on the field to give us a chance to win. I'd bet on Bo.

Actually, you are completely wrong. Did you ever think that we don't have another QB on the roster even remotely good enough to play in the Big 12? I think that is the case and because of Kody Spano's injury the coaches had their hands forced to play the back up in case Lee goes down for the season with an injury.

Wow, some people really stretch with their reasoning about things.

BTW, ever heard of this guy Bradford? He won the Heisman, got hurt, OU didn't have anybody ready with real game action to replace him, they lost to BYU.

THAT IS WHY YOU PREPARE YOUR BACKUP, NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK HE IS GOING TO ALL OF THE SUDDEN UPROOT YOUR STARTER.

Jesus Christ, I have a headache in my eye from the bullsh1t being spewed on here over Green because of 1 play against a tired, beaten down SUN BELT team.

I think this discussion should die down until we are able to gauge an opponent of merit. Winning the Sun Belt Conference championship is good, but we need to see the QB's perform against V Tech to know which one is ready to play. With that being said for right now BO has made the decision to start Zac Lee so unless we are in practices, the meeting rooms, or have some insight that they don't have he will remain the starter until he messes up.

Well I don't understand why a QB discussion should "die down now" among a few posters on the internet when they all want the best for Big Red and not a single person is questioning the coaches decision as to who to play. It would be different if that were the case. Some, including myself are thinking that the coaching staff is grooming Green to play this year. Like Misery not shirting Gabbert last year, I think Bo and company have given Green the accelerated program and if he progresses as he seemed to show in the fall; he will take over the team this year. It's a competition. To declare a winner because a more experienced player started the first game is silly. The important thing in that first game as to the future of Big Red football is that the burned Green's RS. He is competing every week and in every game from now on to take over as the number 1 QB. It is a serious competition and one that will make whoever wins the job that much better. Lee knows this. Green knows this. Bo and his staff are watching like a hawk what goes on in practice and in games from here on. If they feel they have a better chance to win with Green, he will play. The same is true for Lee.

I commend the coaching staff on the gamble that Green is ready to contribute big time this year and not redshirt him. I bet they know what they are doing. PS What any of us think does not matter a whit and expressing our opinions is hardly something that needs to be stifled.

When Lee leads us to the Big 12 Championship many can say I told you so. When Green takes over as the starter with no injury to Lee and leads us to the big game in Jerry's new stadium, others will say "I told you so"

Bo sensed a need in the offense for this true freshman to be ready to play THIS YEAR and NEXT YEAR or he would not have made an uneeded decision in a blowout first game to cut this talented kid's stay with the Big Red by a year. It's really that simple.

I agree that Bo will play the best talent available but your statement is funny to me becuase no matter when they start playing they still only get four years. People make a big deal about whether a kid red shirt or not. It not your career its theirs. They decided to go to a school to get a chance to play and be a part of a team. I never met a D1 athlete that said I'm excited to go to college on a scholarship to get a chance to red shirt. Every kid believes that if given the chance they can compete.

Before the game on Saturday Zac Lee really didn't have much more experience in a D1 game than Cody Green. There will be a point in the season when both players are contributing and bringing their tools to the table. Choosing to play Cody this year indicates to me that they know he is special and there will be a battle next year for the starting job. However, this year barring injury Lee will start but Cody will see a lot of action.

Well I don't understand why a QB discussion should "die down now" among a few posters on the internet when they all want the best for Big Red and not a single person is questioning the coaches decision as to who to play. It would be different if that were the case. Some, including myself are thinking that the coaching staff is grooming Green to play this year. Like Misery not shirting Gabbert last year, I think Bo and company have given Green the accelerated program and if he progresses as he seemed to show in the fall; he will take over the team this year. It's a competition. To declare a winner because a more experienced player started the first game is silly. The important thing in that first game as to the future of Big Red football is that the burned Green's RS. He is competing every week and in every game from now on to take over as the number 1 QB. It is a serious competition and one that will make whoever wins the job that much better. Lee knows this. Green knows this. Bo and his staff are watching like a hawk what goes on in practice and in games from here on. If they feel they have a better chance to win with Green, he will play. The same is true for Lee.

I commend the coaching staff on the gamble that Green is ready to contribute big time this year and not redshirt him. I bet they know what they are doing. PS What any of us think does not matter a whit and expressing our opinions is hardly something that needs to be stifled.

When Lee leads us to the Big 12 Championship many can say I told you so. When Green takes over as the starter with no injury to Lee and leads us to the big game in Jerry's new stadium, others will say "I told you so"

whoa dude! put down the :koolaid2::wasted i will take a drink with you after we win some tough games :cheers

Actually, you are completely wrong. Did you ever think that we don't have another QB on the roster even remotely good enough to play in the Big 12? I think that is the case and because of Kody Spano's injury the coaches had their hands forced to play the back up in case Lee goes down for the season with an injury.

Wow, some people really stretch with their reasoning about things.

BTW, ever heard of this guy Bradford? He won the Heisman, got hurt, OU didn't have anybody ready with real game action to replace him, they lost to BYU.

THAT IS WHY YOU PREPARE YOUR BACKUP, NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK HE IS GOING TO ALL OF THE SUDDEN UPROOT YOUR STARTER.

Jesus Christ, I have a headache in my eye from the bullsh1t being spewed on here over Green because of 1 play against a tired, beaten down SUN BELT team.

So this has nothing to do with Watson even making comments that the difference between the #1 and #2 QBs is quickly disappearing.. You're absolutely right, Green is terrible. Lets all go home and come back next year when Lee is even more seasoned than he is right now because Green will obviously never play. His redshirt wouldn't have been burned the first game if he wasn't going to play this season for considerable a considerable amount of time.. we also played LaTravis Washington in the first game who looked more than capable to be a back up QB.. Not a 10 win great QB, but capable to run plays and throw the ball. If we were merely worried about a backup to the starter, why even burn CG's rshirt and why not just prep Washington to take over Lee should he be injured? By your reasoning that is more logical for the program.