2010 schedule

hskerholic

Ughhhh

What an abysmal non conference schedule. It's....embarrassing.

I'm not looking forward to all the crap we're going to get from opposing fans about having south dakota state on our schedule.

I've been griping LOUDLY about it for awhile now, but who, exactly, would be giving us crap? Have you seen other Big 12 non-conference schedules? I'd say at least we don't have a recent track record of playing FCS teams like many of the conference teams.

I do agree...however, have you been paying attention to the type of opposing fanbases we get on here. Logic isn't really one of their strong suits.

They could lose to Eastern West Tennessee Tech for the blind and still give us crap for scheduling South Dakota State.

Having seen the the Huskies and the Vandals play the last few years, I'd say the Jackrabbits might not be the worst team we play in non-con next year. I'd say all around we couldn't get a much easier start to the season. I'm actually not opposed to cupcake schedules, I'm just pointing out that just because they're FCS doesn't mean that they're the worst team we could schedule.

Shatel has an interesting take on the crummy schedule:

Shatel: Meat was served first in '81

So the guy in the elevator says, “What no-name school is Nebraska playing this week?’’

Answer: Arkansas State. You got a problem with that?

The wise guys say Nebraska is trying to win the Sun Belt championship this year. I say go for it. Why?

Because it’s not 1981 anymore.

For years, whenever I heard people accuse Nebraska of ducking the big boys, I would politely direct them to their nearest media guide and give them four numbers: 1-9-8-1.

That was the year that Nebraska’s warm-up acts looked like a kamikaze mission: Iowa, Penn State, Florida State and Auburn.

That’s Iowa, as in Hayden Fry’s first Rose Bowl team. Penn State, as in the Nittany bunch that would go 10-2 and to the Fiesta Bowl and deliver Joe Paterno’s first national title a year later. FSU and Auburn were “merely” good teams.

NU would go back for seconds in 1982, playing Iowa, Auburn and Penn State again. It was not a news story. Back then, major conference (now known as BCS) teams usually played other major conference teams or a vanishing breed known as independents (Florida State’s status at the time). You played quality competition because it was the right thing to do.

Imagine that.

Well, those days are long gone.

These days, one home game is worth millions ($4 million at NU), and football programs that bring home the bacon for the athletic department insist on having seven home games a year.

Because of that fiscal responsibility, the majority (not all) of Bowl Championship Series teams play only one game against a fellow BCS team.

The solution used to be to go after Brigham Young, Colorado State or Utah or a Boise State or Nevada. But somewhere along the line, BYU, Utah and Boise developed an attitude. Now they won’t play unless you come to their place next year.

After the results of last week, I don’t think BCS schools will be lining up to play BYU, Utah or Boise State on the moon.

So dear ol’ NU turned to three Sun Belt teams to round out a trip to Virginia Tech. A footnote: This schedule (along with next year’s menu of Western Kentucky, Idaho and I-AA South Dakota State) was put together by former Athletic Director Steve Pederson. This certainly smells like an attempt by Pederson to keep his coach, Bill Callahan, afloat with victories.

NU’s schedule could be better, but it makes sense because of what comes after Louisiana-Lafayette: Missouri, Texas Tech, Iowa State, Baylor, Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State and Colorado.

You see a lot of gimme putts on that list?

The situation has completely flipped from 1981. In those Big Eight days, NU basically planned on one big game a year: OU. Back in the ’70s and ’80s, the fluff came during the conference season.

Now you’d better take your breathers when you can — and the money, too — if you want to compete in the Big 12.

This is hard to compute for traditionalists. We want great matchups. But now these mega-leagues are so competitive that the good stuff happens most every week after Oct. 1.

Let’s be honest, too. A lot of fans want to take on the world because it’s the honorable thing to do. But then they want to get rid of their coach if he loses too many games. These days there are a lot more games to lose.

For better or worse, Nebraska fans have a coach who is part daredevil. In the next several years, Bo Pelini has NU making trips to Fresno State, Wyoming and Southern Miss while also playing Washington, UCLA and Tennessee.

“It’s harder for schools to schedule,’’ NU Athletic Director Tom Osborne said. “There has been some discussion in the Big 12 about playing more Big 12 games. We’re trying to upgrade our schedule. Bo’s been good about that. I think we owe that to our fans.’’

So enjoy Arkansas State while you can. By the way, the Red Wolves won at Texas A&M last year.

I do recall those years when it was an absolute shock that Nebraska lose to any member of the big 8 (besides OU). Now would we be super-surprised if Nebraska lost to any of the teams on its conference schedule (besides KSU)? Oh they would be upsets, but the Big 8 was so far below NU and OU back then that losses like that seemed like a once in a lifetime event for the little 6. Anyway, things have changed.

Texas, Okie State, Missouri 3 weeks in a row looks like about the only problem to me. I don't know how much Okie State returns, but regardless, that 3 week stretch looks like about the only challenge in the season.

Looks like 3 losses to me.

Let's say that the Huskers are at .500 this year....6-6.

Or slightly over at 7-5.

In 2009, very realistic losses are:

at Va Tech

at Mizzou

at Baylor

Oklahomo

at Kansas

at Colorado

Do the natives get restless?

Then in 2010, there is a possible stretch when the 'skers lose three straight:

Texas

Okie Light

Mizzou

Do you start the 'Bo No Mo' chants?

Fans ran Callahan out of town and in the process lost a 5 star recruit in Blaine Gabbert.

Now he's starring for Mizzou and people are heaping praise on him.

Just curious.

Texas, Okie State, Missouri 3 weeks in a row looks like about the only problem to me. I don't know how much Okie State returns, but regardless, that 3 week stretch looks like about the only challenge in the season.

Let's say that the Huskers are at .500 this year....6-6.

Or slightly over at 7-5.

In 2009, very realistic losses are:

at Va Tech

at Mizzou

at Baylor

Oklahomo

at Kansas

at Colorado

Do the natives get restless?

Then in 2010, there is a possible stretch when the 'skers lose three straight:

Texas

Okie Light

Mizzou

Do you start the 'Bo No Mo' chants?

Fans ran Callahan out of town and in the process lost a 5 star recruit in Blaine Gabbert.

Now he's starring for Mizzou and people are heaping praise on him.

Just curious.

Or they could run the table and play in the MNC game and Bo earns Sainthood in NE. If you want to come here and talk football then let's talk football, if you just came to stir the pot.....

Let's have a legitimate discussion.

I asked a question and you're accusing me of being inflammatory.

Callahan was run and the Huskers lost Gabbert.

How patient are the fans up here?

What is the timetable on a decent season or Big XII championship for Bo?

I live in Omaha....hear nothing but 24x7 Husker.

I'm just asking a simple question.

I guess the combination of you posting right after bonomo makes it look like you are stirring a bit like he/she was. If not, ok simple questions.

I liked how Blaine looked in game 1, but it was just that game #1. He has a lot more to do to make us fear him like CD. Looks promising for you guys though. NU has a pretty good situation at QB ourselves. We have a 4 Star QB starting with a 4 Star QB backing him up. Both looked pretty darn good in game #1, but like with Gabbert, we know it is just game #1 and we are cautiously optimistic. We feel extra confident because Watson is the OC and has a very good track record developing QB's. In short I don't think most NU fans are too upset about Gabbert anymore, the Zac Lee vs. Cody Green fascination has replaced that.

As far as this year, if we go 6-6 then yes I think the fan base gets a bit hyper. However looking at the games you listed as good bets to be losses I don't see 6 losses in there. Remember that NU went 8-4 in the regular season with less talent and still learning the scheme on D, plus NU beat 3 of the 6 on that list last season. I don't see anything worse than 3 losses out of there. Frankly I think 9-3 is a good bet for this year, with a decent shot for 10-2. I don't think Va. Tech, MU, OU, or KU are gimmies by any stretch nor sure losses either, I think each are possibles with varying degrees of difficulty.

As far as the 2010 schedule. Frankly this is the year that most expect a 10-2 or 11-1 type year. Talent is upgraded and almost all of the team will return, only 6 Seniors on the 2-Deep this season. A team loaded in talent and experience. UT and OSU also loose a lot of players. If this season's Husker squad goes at least 8-4 or 9-3 as many expect, then expectations for 2010 will be sky high. If Bo doesn't get 10+ wins that season, I think you will hear grumblings.

Let's have a legitimate discussion.

I asked a question and you're accusing me of being inflammatory.

Callahan was run and the Huskers lost Gabbert.

How patient are the fans up here?

What is the timetable on a decent season or Big XII championship for Bo?

I live in Omaha....hear nothing but 24x7 Husker.

I'm just asking a simple question.

These are legitimate questions. True, many people wouldn't be very happy with an average W/L record this year, and really won't like a below average record, but at this point, Pelini's seat is very cool. I think reasonable people realize just how far the previous administration and coaching staff tore this place down, and that as long as we see continued improvement (regardless of the final scores), we'll know it's going the right direction.

For me, personally, if things are done the right way, the W/L will eventually take care of themselves. The right way means preparation, game plans, adjustments, effort, intensity, passion, physicality, and above all, chemistry. (Team players over the individual accolades.) It's what football is supposed to be, win or lose.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching Washington beat USC last Saturday, our 2010 OOC schedule looks a little better. Could be a battle of ranked teams, if Washington continues to impress.

Yeah, it was impressive. Hats off to Washington, but in the same breath, I will tell you right now that USC is not as good as usual (both on defense and offense).

It will be interesting to see what Washington does the rest of the year.

That schedule is embarrassing. We again pay for three wins, which is absolutely disturbing in my mind (two of the saddest programs in FBS, Idaho and Western Kentucky and a frickin' FCS school, SDSU). We play one average team in Washington (one win against USC doesn't make a program). For the love of god, do people really feel good about making it to a bowl game when we're giving ourselves three free wins? We're halfway to a bowl before we even have to play a real game. It's sad.

Then our Big 12 schedule is about as favorable as you can imagine. Toughest game is against a McCoy-less Texas at home. No Oklahoma or even Baylor. Colorado, Kansas and Mizzou all at home. Toughest road game in Stillwater and the Pokes lose Robinson and maybe even Bryant. If we don't go at least 10-2 we should be ashamed.