Comments from Beamer's telecon

There is a great deal of respect for Beamer around the country, as there should be. He is a class act and runs a class program.

I don't think the Huskers need any pumping up to get ready for this one. I think it will come down to the defenses. We need to play 4 full quarters in this one, to have a shot. They haven't shown that they can keep it up for a full game yet.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we get a win in this one.

GBR!!!

Comparing the quarterback of last year to Zac Lee, who will be going into just his third start as the Husker QB, Beamer said he didn’t see a lot of differences. “I think they’re very similar – heady guy out there, good pocket presence, very accurate – I think it’s a lot of the same guy it looks like to me,” Beamer said. “He’s got some impressive stats, I can say that.”

I'm sure VT won't overlook it, but it's interesting that Beamer doesn't mention Lee's superior athleticism to Ganz. Not that Ganz was a statue, but if Zac can make a couple big plays with his feet when no one gets open against that D, it could be the difference in the game from last year.

Comparing the quarterback of last year to Zac Lee, who will be going into just his third start as the Husker QB, Beamer said he didn’t see a lot of differences. “I think they’re very similar – heady guy out there, good pocket presence, very accurate – I think it’s a lot of the same guy it looks like to me,” Beamer said. “He’s got some impressive stats, I can say that.”

I'm sure VT won't overlook it, but it's interesting that Beamer doesn't mention Lee's superior athleticism to Ganz. Not that Ganz was a statue, but if Zac can make a couple big plays with his feet when no one gets open against that D, it could be the difference in the game from last year.

I agree. I'm wondering (hoping) the fact Lee likes to spread the ball around will force VT to focus on the pass first giving Lee the chance to gain some huge yardage with his feet.

I agree. I'm wondering (hoping) the fact Lee likes to spread the ball around will force VT to focus on the pass first giving Lee the chance to gain some huge yardage with his feet.

Not to mention that NU will be more vertical this year in the passing game. We have already seen Lee stretch the D more.

Not a knock on Lee (and obviously my mancrush for the Ganzinator has not completely wore off yet), but Ganz was a pretty good runner as well. Yes at times he was erratic with his passes, but he could tuck and run when he needed to. We have only 2 games vs. weaker defenses to guage Lee, lets see what happens after Beamer throws the kitchen sink at him.

GBR

Can't wait for the weekend. I always think that way but with the VT game this week is dragging by.

This early in the season there is nobody that could have a good read on this game if one were an oddsmaker.

We almost beat them last year and most think we are a better team now.

We have been impressive offensively in both of our games, a passing game ranked 7th in the nation.

On the downside, our competition has been such that we just don't know how it will translate when playing a really good team.

With VT we know that Alabama, although the game was close for most of the way was the superior team and shut VT down with their defense. We don't know how our defense would compare to Alabama.

VT ran roughshod over Marshall, but we are pretty certain that our defense is better than Marshall.

But where between those two is going to be the question. Though I am sure he is getting doubled and our two opponents kept lots of blockers in and threw the ball quickly, I am hoping we hear more of Suh's number this game.

Can our offensive line against VT give the offense the same time? Will VT's linebackers and Dbs be so much better than FAU and AKS that we have a much more difficult time moving the ball?

That of course is why it is so exciting. Nobody knows the answers. Is VT more likely to dominate like they did Marshall or be dominated like they were by Alabama. Will the Big Red continue their impressive offensive performance in Blacksburg? Come Saturday we'll have the answers.

Can't wait! GBR

Not a knock on Lee (and obviously my mancrush for the Ganzinator has not completely wore off yet), but Ganz was a pretty good runner as well. Yes at times he was erratic with his passes, but he could tuck and run when he needed to. We have only 2 games vs. weaker defenses to guage Lee, lets see what happens after Beamer throws the kitchen sink at him.

GBR

Dude, this...... :facepalm:

Lee is obviously a better athlete, even Ganz said so himself.

There is a great deal of respect for Beamer around the country, as there should be. He is a class act and runs a class program.

I don't think the Huskers need any pumping up to get ready for this one. I think it will come down to the defenses. We need to play 4 full quarters in this one, to have a shot. They haven't shown that they can keep it up for a full game yet.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think we get a win in this one.

GBR!!!

Has VT's D showed that they can keep it up for 4 quarters too? The answer is no, they have not.

Did you watch the Alabama game, they looked comatose in that game.

I think it's stupid to think that we have to play a perfect game to beat them and not come back and say that they do too.

There's two teams playing this game, both with flaws and advantages.

GBR

Dude, this...... :facepalm:

Lee is obviously a better athlete, even Ganz said so himself.

What do expect Ganz to say? "No I'm definately a better athlete than Lee...." BTW Joe was a 2 sport star in HS and almost picked baseball before coming to NU. I don't think Lee is 'obviously' better than anything Joe did, Lee accuracy is probably better, but lets see what happens in the next couple games when he faces real college defenses.

What do expect Ganz to say? "No I'm definately a better athlete than Lee...." BTW Joe was a 2 sport star in HS and almost picked baseball before coming to NU. I don't think Lee is 'obviously' better than anything Joe did, Lee accuracy is probably better, but lets see what happens in the next couple games when he faces real college defenses.

Actually, that would be a very Ganz thing to say.

And by all accounts, Lee is one of the best athletes on this entire roster.