Defensive Scheme against VT

Billyball

We have not faced a ground game like VT. Did Alabama fill the box and play some man on their WRs taking away the run? Your thoughts as to how you think we will approach the game? Make the Hokie QB prove he can beat us throwing? Would seem logical. We've played a very conservative defense against a couple of teams that required no alterations because of the score. With young linebackers will we keep them up and send them in or keep them in a scheme they are familiar with in the first two games and see if that will work against VT? Twill be one exciting Saturday and tell us a lot about this team.

I expect the defense to be opened up a little bit more for this game. We really need to be able to force Taylor to make plays with his arms and not his feet. If he is forced to throw the ball, he will make mistakes because it is not his strong suit.

I expect to see mostly base defense with some nickel and dime thrown in sporadically. The keys to the game will be stopping the run and confusing Taylor. If we can do those two things and force them to be one dimensional, this game will be easy for us. Taylor is no Peyton Manning and hell, he isn't even a Joe Ganz when it comes to throwing the ball.

I expect the defense to be opened up a little bit more for this game. We really need to be able to force Taylor to make plays with his arms and not his feet. If he is forced to throw the ball, he will make mistakes because it is not his strong suit.

I expect to see mostly base defense with some nickel and dime thrown in sporadically. The keys to the game will be stopping the run and confusing Taylor. If we can do those two things and force them to be one dimensional, this game will be easy for us. Taylor is no Peyton Manning and hell, he isn't even a Joe Ganz when it comes to throwing the ball.

I was just thinking that Taylor doesn't even seem to be the issue...are the freshman running backs that good or was Marshalls defense just THAT bad?

I mean...two guys running over 160 yards? I think that is what we need to worry about....

Watching the V Tech Alabama game Alabama was successful staking the box and leaving corners one on one something only one safety over the top.

I am curious if we are blitzing like last year how the DB will hold up in coverage. In the past two games their has been alot of zone coverage.

The one thing I am excited to see is how Suh and Crick perform. This is not an allstar O-Line but they are a far better unit than we have faced. They are very athletic comparable to the top Big 12 Olines we will face.

Saturday cant come fast enough.

I was just thinking that Taylor doesn't even seem to be the issue...are the freshman running backs that good or was Marshalls defense just THAT bad?

I mean...two guys running over 160 yards? I think that is what we need to worry about....

Probably a little bit of both.

FWIW - that was the biggest offensive output (605 yards) since we amassed 606 yards in 2001 against UConn.

Personally, I think Williams and Wilson might end up being the most talented pair of running backs to play together at Tech. They both have great vision and a burst.

Like the OP said, try to make Taylor beat you with his arm. Easier said that done. But, I expect we'll see eight guys in the box a lot early, unless they try to really spread us out.

I have to say, I wasn't too worried about their running backs when their main guy from last year (I can't remember his name right now) got injured. But, those to freshmen, especially Williams, are really something. We'll have our hands full.

I'm not sure how we'll fare against VTech, but in theory I would think that the defensive scheme is easy - STOP THE RUN and you win the game. If you force Tyrod to throw they are in big trouble. He has more INT's than touchdown passes if I'm not mistaken. If we can box him in, beat down their rushing attack, we should win the game. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

I'm not sure how we'll fare against VTech, but in theory I would think that the defensive scheme is easy - STOP THE RUN and you win the game. If you force Tyrod to throw they are in big trouble. He has more INT's than touchdown passes if I'm not mistaken. If we can box him in, beat down their rushing attack, we should win the game. Easier said than done, unfortunately.

Force them into 2nd & long and 3rd & long, and that will be a good starting point. Minimize penalties, maybe force a turnover or two, will go a long way also.

As dumb, and cliche as it may sound, don't beat ourselves on defense, and I like our chances.

I don't think we will pass rush hard against Taylor. Force him to stay in the pocket and take away his scramble game, with a four man rush. Blitz on occasion but not much, mix it up and disguise it and never lose contain on the outside. If we force him to be a pocket passer we will have a good chance. Play the run and don't have any blown assignments that give up deep balls in the passing game. Not complicated in theory but on the field it's tough. Our linebackers will be a huge key in stopping the run game. If they step up, fill run lanes and make sure tackles we have a chance.

We need to keep them to less than five yards a carry, try to contain Taylor and force him to beat us with the pass. Then it will be up to our offense to avoid turnovers and we're golden.