WR Willis Wright

Player: Willis Wright

Hometown: Miami Springs, FL

Position: WR

Height: 6'2"

Weight: 185 lbs.

40 time: 4.5

Visit Date: 9/25

Scholarships: Auburn, Florida International, Florida State, Miami, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Purdue, Rutgers, Tennessee, UCF, USF, West Virginia

Favorites: Florida International, West Virginia

COMMITTED TO FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL

Rivals: :star:star:star

Scout: :star:star:star

How'd his visit go?

Loved it. Said it was a '10' and liked every aspect. Really enjoyed seeing the offense in person and how we pass the ball a good amount.

Also said he won't be deciding on a college until signing day.

all you can ask for.. i hope all those memories stay fresh in his mind :clap:clap:clap

He is kinda fast, pretty quick, great agility, great footwork and route running.

His handiness on the ball and jump seems a little subpar, but he could be decent WR or KR if he came to NU.

How'd his visit go?

Loved it. Said it was a '10' and liked every aspect. Really enjoyed seeing the offense in person and how we pass the ball a good amount.

Also said he won't be deciding on a college until signing day.

Not sure we hold a spot for him until that time.

Always tough to pull a kid out of the state of Florida; especially one that has an offer from just about every college in the sunshine state like Wright does. Let's hope we made a big enough impression.

Always tough to pull a kid out of the state of Florida; especially one that has an offer from just about every college in the sunshine state like Wright does. Let's hope we made a big enough impression.

I dont see an offer from UF or FSU... Miami and USF have, but that'd be half imo... but hopefully we can hold up if they offer..

Brian Munson said that either one of them or both of them wanted to get out of the state of Florida.

I wouldn't be too sad to get two florida boys.

has a top 5 per Rivals: Florida International, Nebraska, Rutgers, UCF and West Virginia

What is he being recruited as? He has the build of a OLB or even a safety.

I hope he is getting recruited at WR because we need at least another one for this

he could kill it for us RIGHT AWAY.. i wonder if recruits see the chance for themseleves to be a major player right away for us on offense... getting this guy would defintely soften the blow of some of the others things that have gone on for us this year in terms of recruiting.... lots of ups and downs but lots of ups!!!!

come on bruddah willis we need you!!!

Was checking on ESPN, and I saw that he was 4 stars and he is in the top 20 receivers. Why aren't people going after him harder?

Perhaps the coaches are and we just don't know about it. or maybe Wright told them he doesn't want to come here?

Who knows. I have heard his grades are suspect as well.

I would like 1 more WR in this class, but I would be surprised if this guy is it.

Who knows. I have heard his grades are suspect as well.

:yeah

He and Joshua Reese have work to do in the classroom.

sounds like West Virginia is the school to beat

Wright has taken official visits to Nebraska, Florida State, Florida International and now West Virginia. He says he was supposed to visit Miami as well, but he couldn’t find a ride in time to get to their campus. That said, he has decided not to take a fifth visit, so West Virginia will be his last. As of now, he says WVU and Miami are his top two schools.

When he watches the upcoming Gator Bowl, he’ll be checking out two schools that he has taken official visits to, but he is not going to be torn between them – he’s rooting for the Mountaineers.

“I don’t like Florida State like that. My little brother likes Florida State and we always bet and I always bet against Florida State.”

Wright likes what he has seen in Morgantown – even though he obviously picked a quiet weekend for his first trip to campus – but the facilities and the indoor practice Saturday were the highlights of his visit.

“The practice was wonderful. I liked a lot of what I saw. It was very organized.”

The increased interest that Wright has shown in WVU over the past few months is in large part a result of his relationship with wide receivers coach Lonnie Galloway. Seeing how Galloway worked on the practice field Saturday solidified Wright’s opinion of the man as a coach he would certainly enjoy playing for.

“I’m really starting to like Coach Galloway. He’s a great person, he knows how to have fun, and I see that he and his players get along with each other.”

As many positive attributes as Wright has found in Galloway, it is safe to say the receivers coach has been similarly impressed with what he has seen out of one of his top prospects. Wright is confident whichever school he chooses will not be disappointed with the player they are getting.

“I bring a lot of effort to the table,” he says. “I really like to put in work to try and help my team win and have their backs. I just want the team and the coaches that I’m playing for to have my back."

Wright has equal interest in his potential school’s playbook as he does its textbooks, and he and his family have discussed the importance of academics now that he is in position to accept a full scholarship at a major university. He says a combination of factors will go into the decision he makes, but ultimately, he trusts that the right choice will be made for him on signing day.

“On decision day, God may tell me West Virginia is a great place for me, but I’m just waiting for February 3rd.”

WVU is starting to move to a pass more offense...cause before this year they mainly recruited shorter "athletes" and put them at WR instead of recruiting natural WR's....

WVU is starting to move to a pass more offense...cause before this year they mainly recruited shorter "athletes" and put them at WR instead of recruiting natural WR's....

Now that you mention it, that seems to be the case. Maybe there is gradual shift in philosophies happening over there? Afterall it was Rodriguez who masterminded the spread option over there, but now Stewart is probably making some alterations? :dunno

ESPNU 150 wide receiver Willis Wright names five finalists

Four-star prospect Willis Wright (Miami/Springs) updated ESPN affiliate Web site InsideTheU.com on the current status of his recruitment.

"West Virginia, UM, Ole Miss, USF and FIU," Wright said. "My visits were real cool. I liked everything I saw, but I got to be a man and make my own decision. It got to make the decision as to where I want to be the next few years."

He continued, "I am waiting til signing date, February 3rd, that's my decision date."

Wright, who also made an official visit to Nebraska, caught 29 passes for 677 yards (23.3 average) and 10 touchdowns as a senior.

Apparently we are out of it.

ESPNU 150 wide receiver Willis Wright names five finalists

Four-star prospect Willis Wright (Miami/Springs) updated ESPN affiliate Web site InsideTheU.com on the current status of his recruitment.

"West Virginia, UM, Ole Miss, USF and FIU," Wright said. "My visits were real cool. I liked everything I saw, but I got to be a man and make my own decision. It got to make the decision as to where I want to be the next few years."

He continued, "I am waiting til signing date, February 3rd, that's my decision date."

Wright, who also made an official visit to Nebraska, caught 29 passes for 677 yards (23.3 average) and 10 touchdowns as a senior.

Apparently we are out of it.

We've been out of it for a while.

Miami Springs wide receiver Willis Wright visited FIU last week and his high school coach, Alex Pacheco, said FIU is “right there.”

Pacheco said that Wright is down to FIU and West Virginia, and will announce on signing day.

Interesting story about how he ended up committing to FIU on the ESPN big 12 blog. To be honest I will give ESPN a lot of credit they knew what they were saying since we did make his top 3 and he almost did decide on Nebraska.

Link to story

Interesting story about how he ended up committing to FIU on the ESPN big 12 blog. To be honest I will give ESPN a lot of credit they knew what they were saying since we did make his top 3 and he almost did decide on Nebraska.

Link to story

I gotta admit it's more than a little painful knowing how close we were to landing this guy. Get him & we land two surprises in one day. And both surprises would've been the kind of game-changers our offense needs.

It said he waited almost five minutes, face in hand deciding and that it was very, very difficult. I wonder if Owa's decision to sign with UCLA opened a spot for him and he found out last minute. Or maybe he would have been able to regardless of Owa, I don't know.

Major grade issues. He would not have made it to campus had he committed. Had the NU hat there as a prop.

Sunbelt standards are as low as it gets, he might get into FIU. IMO though he'd be better-off getting his grades squared at JUCO then seeing if he can catch-on with a major program.

Sunbelt standards are as low as it gets, he might get into FIU.

it's my understanding that NU's academic requirements for athletes are no different than the NCAA mandated ones, meaning that if he can get in any D1 school, he should be able to get into NU.

Sunbelt standards are as low as it gets, he might get into FIU.

it's my understanding that NU's academic requirements for athletes are no different than the NCAA mandated ones, meaning that if he can get in any D1 school, he should be able to get into NU.

Not true, if you met the Core classes, had a 2.275 GPA (bottom half of class) and a sum of a 76 the ACT which is equal to a 19 composite you would be NCAA eligible, but not meet NU's requirements. You may get a waiver, but that's the only way you could get in.

NU's requirements are

16 Core Courses

4 English

4 Math

3 Social Sciences

3 Natural Sciences

2 Foreign Languages

And

Be ranked in the upper one-half of their high school class, OR

have received an ACT composite score of 20 or higher*, OR

have received a SAT total score (Critical Reading and Math only) of 950 or higher*.

NCAA

16 core classes

4 English

3 Math

2 Natural\Physical Science

1 additional English\Math\Science

2 Social Science

4 additional from any of the above or foreign language or nondoctrinal religion\philosophy

Performance

Only core courses are used in the calculation of the grade-point average.

The ACT score used for NCAA purposes is a sum of the four sections on the ACT: English, mathematics, reading and science.

Sliding Scale

Core GPA SAT ACT

Verbal and Math ONLY

3.550 & above 400 37

3.525 410 38

3.500 420 39

3.475 430 40

3.450 440 41

3.425 450 41

3.400 460 42

3.375 470 42

3.350 480 43

3.325 490 44

3.300 500 44

3.275 510 45

3.250 520 46

3.225 530 46

3.200 540 47

3.175 550 47

3.150 560 48

3.125 570 49

3.100 580 49

3.075 590 50

3.050 600 50

3.025 610 51

3.000 620 52

2.975 630 52

2.950 640 53

2.925 650 53

2.900 660 54

2.875 670 55

2.850 680 56

2.825 690 56

2.800 700 57

2.775 710 58

2.750 720 59

2.725 730 59

2.700 730 60

2.675 740-750 61

2.650 760 62

2.625 770 63

2.600 780 64

2.575 790 65

2.550 800 66

2.525 810 67

2.500 820 68

2.475 830 69

2.450 840-850 70

2.425 860 70

2.400 860 71

2.375 870 72

2.350 880 73

2.325 890 74

2.300 900 75

2.275 910 76

2.250 920 77

2.225 930 78

2.200 940 79

2.175 950 80

2.150 960 80

2.125 960 81

2.100 970 82

2.075 980 83

2.050 990 84

2.025 1000 85

2.000 1010 86

Not true, if you met the Core classes, had a 2.275 GPA (bottom half of class) and a sum of a 76 the ACT which is equal to a 19 composite you would be NCAA eligible, but not meet NU's requirements. You may get a waiver, but that's the only way you could get in.

2.000 1010 86

i did not know that. obviously there is still not that big of a difference between the two, but enough that it is indeed possible. i have to wonder though how hard it would really be to get a waiver at NU. in any case, thanks for the info.