Couple of things that I took from Saturdays game

fro daddy

Good observations, except for one. I think it was our gameplan to not pass rush. On every play, our front four spread out and contained Taylor. I thought it was obvious they were not trying to get to him. On the plays where we blitzed, we got to him pretty quickly.

I noticed that, but dont understand the though process behind it. Once he hurts you then fine, but Taylor was obviously looking to pass the whole game. Didnt even run when he had the chance.

Do you think they will do that against MU? Gabbert runs well and MU runs him often.

It was the gameplan to just contain Taylor in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm. If they were to run a lot of stunts and blitzes (with young LB's) then you leave yourself open to him running and Taylor running is what would lose the game. I'd rather have him stay in the pocket and throw....

I watched the game once live then again on DVR. I wanted to get my first look at the Huskers (I’m cheap and not a fan so no way I was going to pony up $30 bucks to watch you play some scrubs ;) ) These are a few things I took from the game.

1) VT's offense is awful. GOD AWFUL. NE did a decent job in containing the run, in the second half especially, but that offence of theirs leaves ALOT to be desired.

2) Zac Lee....I hope for you guys that he just had a bad game...a real bad game. He was pathetic. I don’t know that I have ever seen a worse D-1 QB. (And I have seen some pretty bad ones line up under center for Ol' MU over the years) 30% completion percentage, missing wide open players and missing badly. One game does not a season make, but that was about as un-impressive as one game can look

3) Roy is every bit as good as I believed him to be. Great runner, good vision. Not in the class of the greatest Husker RB's that I have seen, but I believe clearly the best in some time to carry the ball for NE

4) What the h**L is with your pass rush?! Good God it was sad at times. Taylor had all day to pick his a** back their. He must have been sending text messages because he sure as he** wasn’t hitting open receivers, and they were open. The boys looked like they were stuck in sand half the game. The only one he looked like he tried the whole game was Suh. That last drive killed me, every one rushed 3-4 steps then just stood there for contain. Clearly a bad idea, sack the QB, pressure him. It seemed like the only time NE got pressure Taylor played volleyball with Suh. Every other sack seemed to come from Taylor acting like a re-re and dancing around then running into people

5) The DB's....man o man. They are bad. Good in run support, but they can’t cover to save their lives. I can’t even count the number of open receivers I saw in that game. Luckily Taylor sucks just as bad as Lee did because he couldn’t get them the ball until there was only 1 minute left in the game. How do you let some one get behind you in prevent?! The TD, I can understand the DB's on had to cover the wr's long enough for me to go make a bowl of popcorn after Taylor took the snap, and I still made it back to see the catch. When someone has that long to find somebody, they usually will

6) Dillard seems to be an improvement over random RS Freshman lost in action LB. Made some nice plays, even when he was not the one making the tackle (funneling ball carriers and eating up pulling linemen)

7) Niles is a good return man. I would like to have someone like that on my team to return kicks. Aggressive, and pretty consistent. Give him a crease and watch him work.

8) Henery = good kicker...DUH :)

9) It was not a catch...you must maintain position of the ball all the way through. Not till a knee hits, not till an extremity hits out of bounds. You must have the ball all the way through. Some of you who claim to be the most knowledgeable fans in college football should clearly know a basic rule. Quit crying foul, nobody is out to get you because you are Nebraska :dumdum

Overall it is just one game, and a close loss on the road at that. It's not like it was a blow out. It's not the end of the season but I don't know that it tells us that much. Nebraska's D looked good, But VT has sucked on O since 2005, they are no better this year and Taylor is just crappy as a passer. So whats the real story? IS NE that good, or VT that bad, or...a little of both.

Ne ran well, but VT's run D sucks. They gave up nearly 300 yrd to Alabama and are averaging something like 5.5 yards allowed per rush. So is it that VT opens up like a drunken Kearney girl on prom night or that NE was able to assert their will? Little of both maybe?

I am unsure what to take from this game. Ne did some things I thought were impressive, some things that were not. I don't think it's a down hill spiral from here. There are still plenty of games that you should win. Maybe some of those games look a little tougher now, maybe not. After all it was just one game.

But I do know this. If Lee plays in B12 ball like he did this weekend, NE will not reach their goals this year. He must get better.

Thanks for your honest comments. Most of them are right on, I think. You are either a really passionate college football fan, or you have a closet crush on the Huskers. :clap

1. Unfortunately, I agree. I thought we'd really know how good our defense is after that game, and I still think there are questions. We did very well against the run, but Tyrod was so bad in the passing game, we still don't know much about our pass defense. That test will come against you guys.

2. Completely agree. Most of us Husker fans are fairly biased and only looked at the good, trying to make it look like his overall performance was average. Thanks for calling a spade a spade. He was really bad in that game. Worst in D-1 history? That's pushing it quite a bit. But he did play horribly. He'll need a leap forward to keep us with Mizzou.

3. Check

4. As mentioned, that was the strategy. You can't say for sure what he would have done had we rushed him hard. He didn't have any big runs available so he stayed in and passed. I'd say we executed the strategy almost perfectly throughout.

5. Not sure if I think they are as bad as you say. There will be receivers open when you're trying to contain a running QB. In fact, even the best defenses are going to give up a somewhat open receiver on nearly every play. It's whether your designed pressure gets to the QB before he has time to find the open man and make an accurate throw. Our plan contained the pass (well, except for one notable exception) for the most part. Yeah, Tyrod's accuracy was pretty awful, but that's part of the gameplan. Again, we'll have a better idea of the DBs against MU.

6. Don't disagree

7. Eh, don't think his vision is very good honestly (Swift's was considerably better). Also, he probably has as many fumbles as he does 20+ yard returns in his career. He did have one very good return Saturday though.

8. Check

9. DUH

See ya in a couple weeks. I think it'll be close. I doubt you rush for over 100... you'll have to beat us with the pass. If Lee gets it together we have a chance.

#10 - You don't understand what Nebraska was doing on Defense. The Pass rush wasn't there because they were playing containment. They did an outstanding job of it to.

If you watched the VT game last year, you should know that Taylor Ran all over them because the Huskers went after him and created running lanes. This is where Taylor is a weapon. Taylors weakness is sitting in the pocket and throwing.

Lee? I have a feeling he did hurt his hand. If he did, he should have told the coaches or the coaches if they knew should have pulled him when he couldn't hit an open reciever.

I know our Freshman doesn't know many plays but what good is a QB that can't execute because of injury?

Great...observations on a team that just got beat by the #13 team in the country by one point coming from a guy whose team pounded....FURMAN?!? Is that even a college or just a bunch of frontier guys who trap beavers and muskrats and sell the pelts at the local trading post?

Cy, im pretty sure furman would beat ISU. And I also believe we would all agree that VT is not the 13th best team in the country. Heres to your last chance at victory this year. Beat K-State :clap

#10 - You don't understand what Nebraska was doing on Defense. The Pass rush wasn't there because they were playing containment. They did an outstanding job of it to.

If you watched the VT game last year, you should know that Taylor Ran all over them because the Huskers went after him and created running lanes. This is where Taylor is a weapon. Taylors weakness is sitting in the pocket and throwing.

Lee? I have a feeling he did hurt his hand. If he did, he should have told the coaches or the coaches if they knew should have pulled him when he couldn't hit an open reciever.

I know our Freshman doesn't know many plays but what good is a QB that can't execute because of injury?

I like what you said.

All things considered, I'll just add the Huskers come away with a tough, gritty 15-10 victory as long as the defense stops VT on that last drive, some 88 yards away. I could taste the victory. But they made two huge plays to win it.

Great...observations on a team that just got beat by the #13 team in the country by one point coming from a guy whose team pounded....FURMAN?!? Is that even a college or just a bunch of frontier guys who trap beavers and muskrats and sell the pelts at the local trading post?

Cy, im pretty sure furman would beat ISU. And I also believe we would all agree that VT is not the 13th best team in the country. Heres to your last chance at victory this year. Beat K-State :clap

You'll be gumming those words when we come down there and knock your collective tooth out.... :angry:

You're out of 2nd string QB's to bring in after we put Gabbert into the ground...this won't be like the year when we smashed what's his name and you brought Smith in and killed us or when we destroyed Smith and your brought Daniel in to smash us or when....uh....You know...you all down in Columbia should really be paying us more after all we've done for you.... <_<

You'll be gumming those words when we come down there and knock your collective tooth out.... :angry:

You're out of 2nd string QB's to bring in after we put Gabbert into the ground...this won't be like the year when we smashed what's his name and you brought Smith in and killed us or when we destroyed Smith and your brought Daniel in to smash us or when....uh....You know...you all down in Columbia should really be paying us more after all we've done for you.... <_<

NICE :clap

Cy, maybe Suh can take care of a couple of MU's QBs first. Then when you take out one it'll be their 3rd or 4th string coming in, is ISU up to that challange?

That's what happens when the assistant towel boy gets a shot at place kicker <_< ISU did enjoy giving North titles to Mizzou :bang

That's what happens when the assistant towel boy gets a shot at place kicker <_< ISU did enjoy giving North titles to Mizzou :bang

We felt sorry for them so we thought it would be the neighborly thing to do...and what do we get in return? Scorn...laughter...an all expense paid trip to Skidmore? No more Fro Daddy...we're gonna hit you coming off the bus... :angry:

Ooops...we'll be the ones coming off the bus won't we? Uh...well, then I guess we'll just...uh...trick you into getting onto the bus and then hit you when you figure out you've been tricked! That's it! We'll put some sheep on the bus...and then when you guys run onto the bus and pick our your dates for Homecoming...THEN we'll hit you!

We felt sorry for them so we thought it would be the neighborly thing to do...and what do we get in return? Scorn...laughter...an all expense paid trip to Skidmore? No more Fro Daddy...we're gonna hit you coming off the bus... :angry:

Ooops...we'll be the ones coming off the bus won't we? Uh...well, then I guess we'll just...uh...trick you into getting onto the bus and then hit you when you figure out you've been tricked! That's it! We'll put some sheep on the bus...and then when you guys run onto the bus and pick our your dates for Homecoming...THEN we'll hit you!

sheep might be the only thing your defense can corral all year. come to think of it, you iowa boys have lots of experiance getting behind 4 legged animals... :clap

No, no it is Wyoming.

The whole pass rush used for this game was interesting, but it is what needed to be done to keep Taylor in check. I just wish that Suh and others would have pressured him more on that last play, but the area of the field is where a running QB can make a defense look very foolish if they get too far up field.

Let's not forget that you barely got past BG who is not very good at all. I hope it is a good game with Missery and that the Huskers take to the Tiger cubs.