Nebraska vs Mizzz Speculation

BigRedNV

However, if Nu doest keep it honest with the outside run you can stack the box.

Helu got a Brazilian yards running off tackle against VT. I'm pretty sure that's part of the game plan.

one thing i noticed that was much different against Miami then it was against NE and Ala was the tackling of the LB's and DB's for VT. If the weather had something to do with that i dont know. I do know that they sucked against NE and ALA most of the game. I swear there were a seasons worth of broken tackles in those two games. Against MIAMI they tackled very well. First man ussually brought them down

I do know that what ever team tackles well will have a much better chance.

Good tackling takes a Helu run from 12 yards and a first down to a 3 yrd gain and second down

Good tackling takes a Alexander TD catch and keeps it to a first yard gain or less

Helu to his credit has broken tackles quite a bit this season thus far. He is starting to show a combination of shiftyness and the ability to break tackles. Tackling the MU receivers is an absolute must for NU, Alexander is impressive but I think in many ways the opposing D's made him look even better.

Helu got a Brazilian yards running off tackle against VT. I'm pretty sure that's part of the game plan.

one thing i noticed that was much different against Miami then it was against NE and Ala was the tackling of the LB's and DB's for VT. If the weather had something to do with that i dont know. I do know that they sucked against NE and ALA most of the game. I swear there were a seasons worth of broken tackles in those two games. Against MIAMI they tackled very well. First man ussually brought them down

Good tackling takes a Helu run from 12 yards and a first down to a 3 yrd gain and second down

Good tackling takes a Alexander TD catch and keeps it to a first yard gain or less

Helu to his credit has broken tackles quite a bit this season thus far. He is starting to show a combination of shiftyness and the ability to break tackles. Tackling the MU receivers is an absolute must for NU, Alexander is impressive but I think in many ways the opposing D's made him look even better.

Helu is a hell of a back, but you guys aleady know that. Alexander is someone that if you take them high may bounce of you and keep going, hit him low and he goes down easily. Probably protecting that knee of his. He is a heck of a talent, started in front of Maclin for a reason, just never could stay healthy

Helu is a hell of a back, but you guys aleady know that. Alexander is someone that if you take them high may bounce of you and keep going, hit him low and he goes down easily. Probably protecting that knee of his. He is a heck of a talent, started in front of Maclin for a reason, just never could stay healthy

Yeah Alexander has been impressive and frankly scares me, but I agree it seems that if you stay low on him he will go down. Really tall and fast, nice bail out weapon for Blaine.

Alexander is someone that if you take them high may bounce of you and keep going, hit him low and he goes down easily. Probably protecting that knee of his. He is a heck of a talent, started in front of Maclin for a reason, just never could stay healthy

Gabbert is the star, being the QB, but Alexander so far looks like the best player on your OFF. We'll quadruple-team him and hope Gabbert doesn't see his other WR or TE all alone. :)

both teams are about where they deserve to be in polls. not really much excitement about either program and untill either beats someone from south, likely to remain so. On the other hand both play couple of big teams from south and if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. Just Do it!

After this game one will arise into top 20 and the other will sink out of sight for remainder of year. After thursday week, we shall find out who is who.

:yeah

good post....

good conversation, running attack will be vry important as which MU dline will show up? the one that totally shut down IL's running game? Or the one that allowed BG, Furman and NV too many yds too easily? I can't say, lot of size and ability in tackles but will they get it done? Lbers are very good tacklers and blitz well but havn't done much of that. Lots of questions.

How Helu does is key to this game. Had a big game against a good D at VT in open field but not so much in red zone. How Lee handles the pressure will be huge, as he seemed to get happy feet against VT's pressure. MU's ends are very fast, how will huskers tackles do? If they don't get pressure Lee will be able to hit underneath routes for good yardage.

does tigers try to establish run or throw the ball as in yrs past very successfully to open up running lanes?

Is a mystery, answers coming soon!

good conversation, running attack will be vry important as which MU dline will show up? the one that totally shut down IL's running game? Or the one that allowed BG, Furman and NV too many yds too easily? I can't say, lot of size and ability in tackles but will they get it done? Lbers are very good tacklers and blitz well but havn't done much of that. Lots of questions.

How Helu does is key to this game. Had a big game against a good D at VT in open field but not so much in red zone. How Lee handles the pressure will be huge, as he seemed to get happy feet against VT's pressure. MU's ends are very fast, how will huskers tackles do? If they don't get pressure Lee will be able to hit underneath routes for good yardage.

does tigers try to establish run or throw the ball as in yrs past very successfully to open up running lanes?

I think you'll see a stingier run d against NU. We struggled a bit with Nevada because of the threat that their QB presented. Our ends had to patiently play the edge, rather than crash inside and help up the middle. Let's remember that while Nevada has had a rough beginning, they had the third best rush offense in football last year. THey'll recoop, and I think our boys will be just fine. Ultimately, this game will fall on Lee's shoulders.

I think you'll see a stingier run d against NU. We struggled a bit with Nevada because of the threat that their QB presented. Our ends had to patiently play the edge, rather than crash inside and help up the middle. Let's remember that while Nevada has had a rough beginning, they had the third best rush offense in football last year. THey'll recoop, and I think our boys will be just fine. Ultimately, this game will fall on Lee's shoulders.

:yeah Good post Bob. I do believe that NU will have success in the running game. I'm not sure how stingy MU's defense is capable of being. But yes.... when it all comes down to it, this game falls squarely on Zac Lee's shoulders. NU has already shown this season that success in the running game doesn't necessarily mean a W. Hopefully Thursday night will be a different story.

I do think that our defense is going to give your offense fits. This is nowhere near the weak level of opponent that you faced last year or in 2007. The kids are learning the program and are getting much more confident and instinctual in it. This year could easily be a breakout year for the defense.

Let me remind you (granted the stats are against cupcakes, but most Husker teams from the past 20 years have played cupcakes to start), the huskers are only allowing 7 points a game, at 28 points through 4 games. That is the lowest total of points allowed through 4 games since 1990, when the 'skers allowed 21. That's playing better scoring defense then all three of the national championship teams. That speaks volumes towards the POTENTIAL that this team has over the rest of this year and the next couple years.

:restore

bob problem was ends didn't do anything on the edge, just looked inside at rb while copernick ran around them, very troubling. Same time they have two weeks to make adjustments and lee running the option doesn't pose much of a problem as nv qb who was much better at it. Helu is the guy there, ends smack lee, backers pick up Helu. that is the theory, now lets see who executes.

This doesn't make any sense. Missouri was porous on run defense against Nevada because Colin Kaepernick posed a threat? A threat passing or running? Because neither "threat" is as much of a threat from Kaepernick. The dude just isn't that good.

Through four games, playing bad defenses, Kaepernick's stats are:

Colin Kaepernick										
YEAR	CMP	ATT	YDS	CMP%	YPA	LNG	TD	INT	SACK	RAT
2009	 54	89	 546	60.7	6.14	32	2	  4	   6	110.64

Zac Lee's stats:

Zac Lee										
YEAR	CMP	ATT	YDS	CMP%	YPA	LNG	TD	INT	SACK	RAT
2009	68	 105	927	64.8	8.83	51	7	  3	   3	155.21

Maybe you're talking rushing yards, where Kaepernick leads Lee by about a hundred yards on the season, but even still, Lee can run - he just hasn't been asked to yet.

If Missouri was keying on Kaepernick to shut him down and sacrificing the run to do it (which seems silly, since Nevada is a run-first team), they're going to have to rethink their philosophy against the Huskers.

:yeah Good post Bob. I do believe that NU will have success in the running game. I'm not sure how stingy MU's defense is capable of being. But yes.... when it all comes down to it, this game falls squarely on Zac Lee's shoulders. NU has already shown this season that success in the running game doesn't necessarily mean a W. Hopefully Thursday night will be a different story.

I do think that our defense is going to give your offense fits. This is nowhere near the weak level of opponent that you faced last year or in 2007. The kids are learning the program and are getting much more confident and instinctual in it. This year could easily be a breakout year for the defense.

Let me remind you (granted the stats are against cupcakes, but most Husker teams from the past 20 years have played cupcakes to start), the huskers are only allowing 7 points a game, at 28 points through 4 games. That is the lowest total of points allowed through 4 games since 1990, when the 'skers allowed 21. That's playing better scoring defense then all three of the national championship teams. That speaks volumes towards the POTENTIAL that this team has over the rest of this year and the next couple years.

:restore

No doubt... Your defense is talented. You guys have recruited well in the past. While I think he's out of control a bit, Pelini has proven to be a great defensive coach. So, I agree that it will not be nearly as easy for our Tigers. Actually, I fully expect NU to probably lead into half time. For some reason, we've started slow in each of our games. (I'm hoping that changes, but it is what it is.)

Thankfully, our new OC Yost has shown a great job of resituating the gameplan coming out of the break. That's when Gabbert and the offense has exploded. That will be key for the Huskers... how they handle that mid-game adjustment.