Anybody heard any rumors lately??

All trash-talking aside for a moment. I did some work at a former employer regarding HIPAA laws, which govern what types of information can be shared and how regarding injuries and illnesses. This is from HIPAA regarding the subject:

For coaches and other school administrators, an authorization would need to be provided before this information could be shared. Another concern is on-field evaluations information. Can this be shared with the necessary parties? The answer, it seems, is that these evaluations would fall under the category of emergency evaluations, for which prior authorization is unnecessary.

Finally,
regarding the sharing of information with the media, this issue is clear-cut. Under HIPAA, personal health information can be provided to sports information staff or the media only with authorization from the athlete
(Magee et al., 2003).

My point is there may be a reason why Bo is being coy about potential flu rumors and names of players -- for now.

This is a lot of posts for a rumor that was mostly started in this thread.

It didn't start in this thread, I heard things elsewhere first, not on Unsportsmanlike Conduct either. The UBIQUITOUS, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. It seems to be picking up steam. Unfortunate if true, but proper perspective is in order: it's just a game. I hope the illness isn't too serious for the sake of the guys, not the sake of a game.

I'm just saying, it's scary enough to think about, let alone talk about. it's not worth getting worked up if it is unsubstantiated.

I believe it is substantiated though, just based on where it's coming from. Even so, it's not even rumored to be widespread, 1 or 2 guys, 3 at most? One of them a reserve tight end? Never mind that a lot of the swine flu "scariness" is media flogging dedhoarse Hell, the WHO (world health organization, not the band The Who) said at one point regular seasonal flu was worse.

To quote that Tennesse coach in the 2000 Fiesta Bowl game: "WASH YOUR HANDS!" Or. . .something like that.

Personally, I would feel better if Pete Townsend told me.....

This is only a rumor, and I have no way to confirm.....

However, I got a call from a buddy of mine in Omaha who said that he was told that Ben Cotton is out of Thursday's game w/H1N1, and that Hickman and Helu are being tested for the flu. This friend of mine has been right in the past, as he told me about Castille before the rumors started on that issue.

I sure hope this is false.....please don't kill the messenger!

if that's the case, that would make it Rex Burkhead's time to shine.

You guys know when they "test" for H1N1 they're not actually testing for H1N1 right? It may be different with football teams because the program has a lot of money, but to the general population they don't give H1N1 tests. All those reports of X number of swine flu cases at your local campus or whatever are not necessarily swine flu. They could be, or they could be regular flu.

You guys know when they "test" for H1N1 they're not actually testing for H1N1 right? It may be different with football teams because the program has a lot of money, but to the general population they don't give H1N1 tests. All those reports of X number of swine flu cases at your local campus or whatever are not necessarily swine flu. They could be, or they could be regular flu.

Dude, what the f*ck did you just say??

Maybe it's just me, but that made little to none sense at all. :wacko:

Dude, what the f*ck did you just say??

Maybe it's just me, but that made little to none sense at all. :wacko:

I can't recall exactly . . . but I believe they test for influenza A or influenza B. If you have A then it's LIKELY but not certain that you have H1N1.

I'm saying H1N1 tests are too expensive right now, so when you see that people have cases of swine flu, they may not actually have swine flu. They don't give H1N1 tests right now. Like I said, that could be different for the football team because they have enough money to do it. But the swine flu cases you read about are not necessarily swine flu. They do a general flu test, that's all.

Sorry, but that is wrong. They are doing specific tests to differentiate between the "seasonal" flu and H1N1.

What are these rumors that were talked about on 1620 regarding an injury or an illness?? Kevin Kugler said that he had nothing to report yet. Anybody know of these rumors that he is speaking of?

This is how it starts.

Hope Helu is ok. Hate to beat a team because of an injury.

Sorry, but that is wrong. They are doing specific tests to differentiate between the "seasonal" flu and H1N1.

With the football team? That could be.

With the general population, you sure about that? Ask your doctor or nurse. I volunteer at an urgent care clinic.. doctors and nurses both told me that they don't test for H1N1.

that's what I also heard, that if a person has a flu, they just record it as H1N1.