Burkhead Injury

GBRNUFAN

this sucks wtf... i guess it happend in practice?

yes it did happen in practice time for Okafor/Ward/Mendoza to step up

Or Cody Green :sarcasm

Putting Green and Lee in the backfield at the same time would be pretty interesting.

We burned Green's redshirt, but he's not playing all that much. I'd like to see the kid play more than 50 snaps in mopup duty this year, personally. If Okafor, Ward and/or Mendoza simply aren't ready to go, let's put the guy on the field.

If I can just interject something here, and maybe no one agrees with me, but while I think that losing Burkhead sucks big time, I don't want people to blow it out of proportion. He isn't the starter either in the running game or kick/punt returns. Yes the depth we have behind him is unproven, but until we face off against Oklahoma, we're not going to see a stellar run defense.

I wish Rex a speedy and full recovery, but in the meantime I'm actually excited to see what our other young guys (and Mendoza) can do. Bottom line being, I don't think your predictions on Nebraska's seasons suddenly have a huge reversal because of Rex's injury. If Helu goes down, that's another story. But for now keep the dust cloth over the panic button. No need to bust it out yet.

If I can just interject something here, and maybe no one agrees with me, but while I think that losing Burkhead sucks big time, I don't want people to blow it out of proportion. He isn't the starter either in the running game or kick/punt returns. Yes the depth we have behind him is unproven, but until we face off against Oklahoma, we're not going to see a stellar run defense.

I wish Rex a speedy and full recovery, but in the meantime I'm actually excited to see what our other young guys (and Mendoza) can do. Bottom line being, I don't think your predictions on Nebraska's seasons suddenly have a huge reversal because of Rex's injury. If Helu goes down, that's another story. But for now keep the dust cloth over the panic button. No need to bust it out yet.

Agreed. Like I said earlier, RB is traditionally the easiest position to replace.

Okafor is probably VERY happy he didn't leave the team at this point. I'm betting he's in line for the snaps behind Helu this week, and if TT's run defense plays up to form, Helu should be gassed pretty early.

Agreed. Like I said earlier, RB is traditionally the easiest position to replace.

Okafor is probably VERY happy he didn't leave the team at this point. I'm betting he's in line for the snaps behind Helu this week, and if TT's run defense plays up to form, Helu should be gassed pretty early.

why do you think okafor will be getting snaps? lester ward, austin jones, and marcus mendoza are all ahead of him. personally i think and hope mendoza rises to the occasion because he has the most talent, speed/quickness, plus good hands for receiving... all qualities you want to see in a 3rd down back. if mendoza doesnt step up, im not sure ward or jones are capable of the task. hopefully im proved wrong because sounds like rex is out for the regular season. were in deep trouble if helu goes down

Rex is a Texas boy so he shouldn't be playing against a Texas school anyway. The Daughters of the Alamo would string him up upon returning home for X-mas break. :)

The Daughters of the Alamo gave Rex and Cody Green pardons, just as long as they promised not to sign with Captain Jack, er....Mike Leach

Rex is a Texas boy so he shouldn't be playing against a Texas school anyway. The Daughters of the Alamo would string him up upon returning home for X-mas break. :)

The Daughters of the Alamo gave Rex and Cody Green pardons, just as long as they promised not to sign with Captain Jack, er....Mike Leach

:laughpound:laughpound:clap:clap for you!!! btw NICE avatarS raider!!!!

why do you think okafor will be getting snaps? lester ward, austin jones, and marcus mendoza are all ahead of him. personally i think and hope mendoza rises to the occasion because he has the most talent, speed/quickness, plus good hands for receiving... all qualities you want to see in a 3rd down back. if mendoza doesnt step up, im not sure ward or jones are capable of the task. hopefully im proved wrong because sounds like rex is out for the regular season. were in deep trouble if helu goes down

You're right. I don't know who's in line for snaps after Burkhead. Maybe it isn't Okafor, but he at least had a pretty decent Spring Game. That's why I tossed his name out there. The point I was trying to make (but didn't) was that RB is an injury-plagued position, and we've got Helu with a ding on his shoulder and Burkhead out, so anyone on that roster has to think they've got a chance to play. At least a chance.