Burkhead Injury

GBRNUFAN

Just a quick question. Whats wrong with Roy Helu playing running back? If I'm not mistaken he is the starting running back and even though Helu appearently had the flu he took the snaps at running back on all but about 6 snaps.. I'm sure Mendoza,Jones,Ward, or Okafor can give him a breather if he needs it..

That is what everyone is concerned about, no one has a single concern about Helu playing. Quite the opposite actually, not sure why you would think otherwise. However Helu may get 25-30 snaps and the Huskers will still have to give significant snaps to someone else or several others. It isn't just do we have confidence in those players to run effectively, can they do all of the other things this offense requires at an effective level?

I would be more worried about one good shot to Helu's shoulder, season over

Just a quick question. Whats wrong with Roy Helu playing running back? If I'm not mistaken he is the starting running back and even though Helu appearently had the flu he took the snaps at running back on all but about 6 snaps.. I'm sure Mendoza,Jones,Ward, or Okafor can give him a breather if he needs it..

That is what everyone is concerned about, no one has a single concern about Helu playing. Quite the opposite actually, not sure why you would think otherwise. However Helu may get 25-30 snaps and the Huskers will still have to give significant snaps to someone else or several others. It isn't just do we have confidence in those players to run effectively, can they do all of the other things this offense requires at an effective level?

I would be more worried about one good shot to Helu's shoulder, season over

And there is that also.........

How bout this possibility. New back comes in to play...fumbles ball in key situation. I watched wisconsin two weeks ago put number two guy in to give their bulldozer a breather for one play...one play. They were wearing down minnesota and driving to go up 3 scores....fumble, 80 yrd td return and suddenly a ballgame.

Not saying it's going to happen but Rex came in as a true freshman and became #2 on the chart for a reason. No doom and gloom here. It's just reality that you lose a player that plays every game and it will make a difference. Just don't know how much yet. (could very well be a positive one as another guy makes the best of his shot)

Okafor is probably VERY happy he didn't leave the team at this point. I'm betting he's in line for the snaps behind Helu this week, and if TT's run defense plays up to form, Helu should be gassed pretty early.

why do you think okafor will be getting snaps? lester ward, austin jones, and marcus mendoza are all ahead of him. personally i think and hope mendoza rises to the occasion because he has the most talent, speed/quickness, plus good hands for receiving... all qualities you want to see in a 3rd down back. if mendoza doesnt step up, im not sure ward or jones are capable of the task. hopefully im proved wrong because sounds like rex is out for the regular season. were in deep trouble if helu goes down

You're right. I don't know who's in line for snaps after Burkhead. Maybe it isn't Okafor, but he at least had a pretty decent Spring Game. That's why I tossed his name out there. The point I was trying to make (but didn't) was that RB is an injury-plagued position, and we've got Helu with a ding on his shoulder and Burkhead out, so anyone on that roster has to think they've got a chance to play. At least a chance.

yes that is a good point. too add to what i said earlier, i could see ward making an impact too. i guess hes only a RFr. may have only been a two star but many texas guys get overlooked and he did have an offer from missouri. hopefully he can be a capable backup but as a starter? cross our fingers on roy staying healthy

How bout this possibility. New back comes in to play...fumbles ball in key situation. I watched wisconsin two weeks ago put number two guy in to give their bulldozer a breather for one play...one play. They were wearing down minnesota and driving to go up 3 scores....fumble, 80 yrd td return and suddenly a ballgame.

Not saying it's going to happen but Rex came in as a true freshman and became #2 on the chart for a reason. No doom and gloom here. It's just reality that you lose a player that plays every game and it will make a difference. Just don't know how much yet. (could very well be a positive one as another guy makes the best of his shot)

You mean like Witt in the Gator Bowl. This is one of many possibilities. I am not the biggest RB fan from a pure running the ball standpoint. He doesn't look all that fast. He won't run over too many people (although under looks like a possibility). In my estimation he will never be all Big 12. Yeah, I just said that. But, he was made #2 as a true Fr because of all of the intangibles. I see it like taking a Larry Bird out of the Celtics line-up and replacing him with Dominique Wilkins. DW could replace the scoring, but you would lose the rest. I'm not saying RB is the LB of the football world, I'm just saying you can replace with similar football "talent" without getting near the football ''player." Another similarity would be replacing Ganz with Keller (although it was the other way around). Ganz and Burkhead are players.

I've saw a couple people act like this is insignificant - man, that's just silly. How many carries has Austin Jones, Collins Okafor, Marcus Mendoza or Lester Ward gotten in their careers outside of blowouts? Heck, how many have they gotten this year?

And to think, last year we regularly gave 3 RBs carries. This year it has solely been Helu and Burkhead. You think that is by choice or is it something else?

From our top 2 RBs to everyone else is a SIGNIFICANT dropoff in talent. Which is why this is a huge blow to our team.

Actually, the biggest loss is Rex's development.

Four to six weeks, lets say six worst case scenario, is basically the entire season. This is going to extremely hinder his growth and potential.

Now, since we already used his redshirt, he basically lost half a year....

..that's what bugs me.

Well you are right he can't redshirt THIS year, but he still has one to use in the next 4 seasons if needed. I don't see why he would need to at this point, baring a major injury, he could still take one though.

They are right in one aspect. Lee is probably on a shorter leash. If he struggles again (and possibly early) it won't be Green signaling in plays. That change would probably be permanent. Another interesting storyline this weekend to say the least. And more...Who's #2 rb? Does Suh alter the outcome of another game? Is Nu's db shakeup for real? Do we load up and run it all day long? Is Helu 100%? Are the polish dogs better than the hot dogs? Are the Sooners looking at 4-3 when they visit Lincoln? It'll be a great Saturday once again!!! I can't wait!! GBR

It's disappointing, but we will be fine. Helu will have to carry the majority of the load....which he does. All we need is for someone to come in and spell him a series or two. If we can't find a back on our team that can carry the ball for a couple series, then we have bigger issues!

I just get sick and tired of hearing about this tech offense. I would love for us to put up 60 on them. Wear them down and wear them out. Punch that damn Pirate (Leach) right on the chin. Put him to sleep.

Living in Texas, I can put up with a lot. Tech fans is not one em. But I will say, I did run into Graham Harrell last year on the golf course. I was decked out in red, and he was with a friend of mine. I tried to talk crap about tech barely beating nebraska....he just smiled and said we had a good team. But, he did say he threw for so many yards he couldn't remember. That stung a little. He's all class. Good guy!

Can't say that for the rest of the tech brethren.