Burkhead Injury

GBRNUFAN

VT lost their #1 tailback in the preseason of each of the last two seasons. They found out, as we will, that replacing a RB is the easiest thing to do on your roster.

Here's the ball. Run that way.

At this level there are no chumps. Lester Ward, Collins Okafor, Marcus Mendoza - these guys aren't here because we felt sorry for them. They're here because they have skills.

We'll miss Burkhead. But we'll be OK.

VT lost their #1 tailback in the preseason of each of the last two seasons. They found out, as we will, that replacing a RB is the easiest thing to do on your roster.

At this level there are no chumps. Lester Ward, Collins Okafor, Marcus Mendoza - these guys aren't here because we felt sorry for them. They're here because they have skills.

This may be premature. Not sure Rex is hurt that bad. Next day or two will tell.

This may be premature. Not sure Rex is hurt that bad. Next day or two will tell.

True. But after spending the better part of the summer and the early season being the Humbug here on Huskerboard, and having every rumor turn out to be true, I'm in a believing mood once again. I'm buying this story, I guess, and I'm prepped for reading about a Burkhead injury in the press in the next couple of days. People here tend to be accurate, apparently.

If we are without Rex for a month, it not only affects the ground game, but punt/KO returns as well. I'm sure Paul can handle it, but if he muffs another one who is Bo gonna put in?

I was scanning the posts to see if anyone would touch on the punt return thing. This is a big deal. First, the reason Burkhead, a true freshmen, was made #2 at running back was because no one else stepped up. This means the coaches aren't comfortable with the other guys. Playing rb is more than just run through this hole or that one. Second, problems catching punts, who do they turn to? Rex. Coaches put Rex in because he doesn't make mistakes, the others have. Mistakes lose games.

If we are without Rex for a month, it not only affects the ground game, but punt/KO returns as well. I'm sure Paul can handle it, but if he muffs another one who is Bo gonna put in?

I was scanning the posts to see if anyone would touch on the punt return thing. This is a big deal. First, the reason Burkhead, a true freshmen, was made #2 at running back was because no one else stepped up. This means the coaches aren't comfortable with the other guys. Playing rb is more than just run through this hole or that one. Second, problems catching punts, who do they turn to? Rex. Coaches put Rex in because he doesn't make mistakes, the others have. Mistakes lose games.

Rex was ahead of the others in picking up blitzes and doing a good job on his blocking assignments...ie less mistakes that also could cost a game or a QB in a blitz.

Second, problems catching punts, who do they turn to? Rex. Coaches put Rex in because he doesn't make mistakes, the others have. Mistakes lose games.

If there is a drop of rain in the air, I would say the best thing they could do is send 11 after the punter and let it land where it does if the guy gets it off.

Couldn't agree more.

Plus, he really hasn't had a large impact on the game thus far, in all fairness.

He has one rushing TD and 118 yards rushing, but he is also average 5.1 ypc.

I do wish we had gotten more guys involved earlier in the season though. If i'm not mistaken, the first time we get to see our entire depth at RB this season was the ULL game and each only got a few snaps.

Rex was ahead of the others in picking up blitzes and doing a good job on his blocking assignments...ie less mistakes that also could cost a game or a QB in a blitz.

Good points, the coaches see these guys practice everyday and they must have felt that Burkhead was talented enough for the number 2 and/or the others were not getting the job done.

As much as you think this isn't a big deal, I THINK IT IS MASSIVE. Rex has provided a wonderful bump in energy every time he has touched the ball. It is going to hurt if he is gone for a month or more.

Who do we turn to? I bet Mendoza ends up getting the majority of Rex's snaps.

:yeah

There is no one faster at that position, on the Huskers. The kid can play if they would just find away to get him in there. I would guess by his size that maybe he has trouble with his blocks, but in a two back set he may not really have to block on a quick hitter play, or put him in the slot position. Once he breaks clear this kid can take it to the house from any where. No one will ever catch him from behind.....

GBR!!!