Burkhead Injury

GBRNUFAN

Oh god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Burkheads hurt!!! For cripes sake what are we going to do?!!!!!! Oh Jeezus!!! **holds knees into his chest** Sell your house! Sell your stock! Get enough supplies to last you 6 months and head for the sandhills!!!!!

I feel bad for Rex Burkhead and wish him a speedy recovery...

For those of you wigging out... dedhoarse The sun will come up tommorow. I promise!

Not sure if anybody has touched on this, but if not here you go.

The biggest problem we face right now is trying to find a guy who can do as well as Burkhead did in the pass pro. With young running backs, it's never so much trying to make them better runners, but more of getting them to understand the pass protections better. That is going to be the toughest thing to replace.

As far as rushing goes, Burkhead has been solid but not all world. He is averaging 5.1 ypc, yes, but he only has 118 rushing yards and hasn't seen a lot of rushing opportunities so far. We have four backs right now who are going to push real hard to be that number 2 guy. I'm confident one of them is going to step up and play the same role that Burkhead did in the rushing game.

So like I said, the biggest hit we take is a guy who was phenomenal in pass pro for his age, but finding a guy to get some rushing yards will most likely not be a big worry.

If all else fails, have Helu spend more time in pass pro since he has done a great job, and then have another guy carry the ball more.

We can argue till the cows come home, but neither side will ever be able to prove whether or not Rex being gone could cost us a game or not. Personally, I think he's important. He ran as well as Helu against Missouri, and obviously is important in keeping Helu fresh. There's no telling if the guys behind him can fill in without missing a beat. Assumedly they were behind him for a reason.

But the point remains, neither side can win this argument unless someone invents a specially modified DeLorean on Sunday and goes back to save Rex's foot to replay the game without him.

Could Castille have won the VT game for us? Considering the difference was one or two plays, I bet you he could have. But I definitely can't prove it.

Just a quick question. Whats wrong with Roy Helu playing running back? If I'm not mistaken he is the starting running back and even though Helu appearently had the flu he took the snaps at running back on all but about 6 snaps.. I'm sure Mendoza,Jones,Ward, or Okafor can give him a breather if he needs it..

Just a quick question. Whats wrong with Roy Helu playing running back? If I'm not mistaken he is the starting running back and even though Helu appearently had the flu he took the snaps at running back on all but about 6 snaps.. I'm sure Mendoza,Jones,Ward, or Okafor can give him a breather if he needs it..

That is what everyone is concerned about, no one has a single concern about Helu playing. Quite the opposite actually, not sure why you would think otherwise. However Helu may get 25-30 snaps and the Huskers will still have to give significant snaps to someone else or several others. It isn't just do we have confidence in those players to run effectively, can they do all of the other things this offense requires at an effective level?