Zack Lee or Cody Green

In speaking with some friends that went to yesterdays game, they all said the same thing. NU needs to a find a QB and both Lee and Green aren't it.

How is Green not it? He might not be today, but the kid I think has the makings of a great QB at NU.

Where else are we going to find a QB that isn't Lee or Green today anyway?

All all said the same thing.

1. Green can't read a D

2. He has a gun for an arm but God knows where it's going to go

Where to find one today will be tough. But they all said same thing in seperate conversations. They all can't be wrong.

We don't know how well he can readt defense yet. He was forced to throw basically every down because of the situation. If he starts next game and has choices I am sure he would run it instead of throwing it. Also I remember at the start of practices the coaches were raving about his ability to read safety's and read when blitz's were coming. Just give him time.

We also remember how much the coaches and players were raving about Lee's abilities as well at the start of practices.

Green needs to start, he has the pocket presence of a senior, all he needs to work on is reading progressions of routes, and sometimes settle for a check down pass. He will deffinately make mistakes but he will also make good plays, and at least this year we have the defense to get away with a few mistakes, but at least with Green the offense will put points on the board.

In speaking with some friends that went to yesterdays game, they all said the same thing. NU needs to a find a QB and both Lee and Green aren't it.

you're judging a guy off of 16 plays? most were after the game had been decided. Green at least deserves the same opportunities lee was given

There might be an accidental benefit with Green, and it'll be because he only has so many plays down pat, the offense will be forced to find their 'identity' real damn quick. You're going to learn how to run the zone read. You're going to learn how to execute a few dozen pass plays across the line. And why? Because you've got no choice now.

This doesn't make our situation on offense a sunny one, but we might see some benefits of addition by subtraction. Get rid of the crap Green can't do yet, and you'll be put in a position where you're forced to get real good at a couple of things.

Karma alert!!!!!

I remember NU starting another Freshman QB against Iowa State about 17 years ago...although the game didn't go well, the rest of Tommie Frazier's career at NU did!!!!!

Actually, Tommie's first start was at Mizzou (win) then against CU (win) and KU (win). In his 4th start NU lost to ISU.

But I totally agree with the rest of your statement...

And guys, I wonder...there is a reason they didn't redshirt Green this year. You don't redshirt a player at the QB spot just to be a backup...right?

Personally, I enjoyed the way Green took risks. I got pretty tired of Zac reading only one side of the field and then throwing the flat route for a 2 yard gain. I was amazed at how Green could make things happen (even if he did throw a pick)

The running game was also very poor, but I blame the O line for that problem.

I dont actually blame Watson for the problem because once Green started playing, the ball started moving down the field.

I think Green should play against ISU. He strikes me as a guy who WANTS to get the ball in the end zone, not wait a three quarters to score.

Just an opinion. BTW, I think Chris Brooks is the best receiver on the team.

You can spin it any way your want. But the bottom line is, who looks like the better player right now? To me it is Green by a long shot. He stands in the pocket with more poise than 95% of true freshmen I have ever seen, releases the ball when he's supposed to and fires it in with pretty solid accuracy and confidence. He keeps his eyes downfield and yet still manages to elude pressure very well, even when lineman get a handful of jersey. Lee looks jittery and nervous, sometimes imagines pressure and can completely misfire even the short and simple routes. He's too scared of pulling the trigger on anything longer than 10 yards most of the time, and takes sacks because of it.

Do I think Green is going to be Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch or even Joe Ganz right away? Of course not. He'll make plenty of bone-headed freshman errors and maybe even lose us a game. But we have to score points to win games, and we are very little threat to do that with Lee at the helm. Aside from a big fourth quarter against Missouri (aided by amazing field position twice from our defense getting INTs), Lee has not led a TD drive against a real defense. Not one against VT and not one against TT. That's unacceptable. We have the best defense we've had since 03, but unfortunately (under Lee) we also have the worst offense since 03 (and possibly worse than that one).

If we can just develop some form of deep passing threat, the whole offense will improve because of it, and if we can score 20-25 points, our defense is good enough to keep us in any game. Even OU. But we aren't going to be able to do that with Lee. I'm sorry, great kid and I have nothing against him personally, but that's the truth.

Excellent post!!!! :include

Personally, I enjoyed the way Green took risks. I got pretty tired of Zac reading only one side of the field and then throwing the flat route for a 2 yard gain. I was amazed at how Green could make things happen (even if he did throw a pick)

The running game was also very poor, but I blame the O line for that problem.

I dont actually blame Watson for the problem because once Green started playing, the ball started moving down the field.

I think Green should play against ISU. He strikes me as a guy who WANTS to get the ball in the end zone, not wait a three quarters to score.

Just an opinion. BTW, I think Chris Brooks is the best receiver on the team.

I also like how green is not the "take what the defense gives you" type a guy, He's going to try to make something happen every play. This of course will lead to interceptions but so what? I saw todd reasing throw a pick that was almost run back that night, I also saw him put 30 points on the board. We need a gamer! Cody Is a Gamer! Lee is not!

Ha, OR, he can be a T.Pryor type and not exhibit much improvement at all. Keep his flawed mechanics, continue making mistakes and posting sub-50% completion rates.

It really goes both ways.

People want Green because they are COUNTING on him to show quantum leaps of development. I mean, really, you're asking for a lot there and there's nothing to indicate that he will make those leaps. Lee could just as likely, even more, make those leaps. Look at Zac Taylor, beginning of year 1 to end of year 1 to year 2. Do we REALLY want to go the uncertain true frosh path already?

Take this as you will, but every great offense and defense has one thing in common: great lines.

That's why our defense is on fire this year, because we have one of the best defensive lines we have had in a long time.

That's why our offense is having a tough time against good competition, because they just down right blow against better than average competition.

You saw it against VaTech in the passing game, and you saw it against Missouri in the pass and the run. The o-line couldn't do anything until the fourth quarter at MU. But even in the fourth quarter, they still didn't look that great. I attribute those two great runs in the fourth quarter by Helu (the 40 yarder and then TD run) to even a blind squirrel finding an acorn sometimes (in reference to the o-line, not Helu).

Against TT on Saturday, the o-line beat TT on first moves but got beat by second moves. Yes, Lee was taking his time finding receivers, but the o-line was not helping him out at all, and it is a trickle down effect. The o-line misses a coverage, the QB has to move around, stops him from focusing on receivers, he makes a bad throw.

I'm not saying this happened on every play, but somebody needs to help him out. Receivers dropping balls and the offensive line not producing is what is killing this team more than anything. It's not as much Zac Lee as some of you think. From my honest opinion, it is Zac Lee's fault maybe 80% of the time.

How is Green not it? He might not be today, but the kid I think has the makings of a great QB at NU.

Where else are we going to find a QB that isn't Lee or Green today anyway?

All all said the same thing.

1. Green can't read a D

2. He has a gun for an arm but God knows where it's going to go

Where to find one today will be tough. But they all said same thing in seperate conversations. They all can't be wrong.

Anyone can see that Lee's not the answer now. I don't need a few people telling me that or a whole stadium full either. Give Cody a week to work with the first team, let him have that start against Iowa. ST. Playing a game from the start is a lot different, than coming in and trying to throw touchdowns on almost every play, late in a game to catch up. There are two very winnable games coming up, good time to get the future leader of this offense, some critical playing time. Why waste the rest of the season watching him learn nothing on mop up duty.

GBR!!!

you're judging a guy off of 16 plays? most were after the game had been decided. Green at least deserves the same opportunities lee was given

I'm not judging him. They are. They saw him play - I didn't.

Here is my biggest concern. Lee was not productive against MU and he was not productive against TT. The coaches see more than we do. Just how not ready is Green if he isn't starting over Lee?

I'm not judging him. They are. They saw him play - I didn't.

Here is my biggest concern. Lee was not productive against MU and he was not productive against TT. The coaches see more than we do. Just how not ready is Green if he isn't starting over Lee?

The kid is a true freshman who is involved in a highly, yet not as Callahan-highly, complex offensive play book.

This situation happens all the time in football. One guy out-performs in practice, the other guy may play better in game situations.

I think the coaches are giving Lee some leash, considering his great performance in 3 of 4 non-con games. Now that he has looked poor against better than average teams, things are going to be re-considered. Lee also knows more of the play book, a disadvantage to Cody.

This is like saying your 10 year old son won't be a good football player some day because he got tackled in the back field in his pop-warner game <_<

Interesting tidbit from the NFL:

http://www.patriots.com/news/index.cfm?ac=...594&pcid=41

After the Patriots loss to the Broncos, fans were up in arms calling for BRIAN HOYER to get his shot over TOM BRADY.

At this point, I don't think Hoyer could do any worse and it will also help determine if he is the future of the Patriots or not.

Well, they look like fools now, with Brady having tossed his 5th TD of the 2nd quarter just now.

I think we'll see Lee get a good performance against ISU, follow that up with one against Baylor, and be at least a different QB than he was today heading into the OU game.

Patience, everyone. Lee is still in the first half of his first season starting. It is somewhat comforting to me too to know that we aren't the most ridiculously bipolar fanbase out there.