Tackle football: showdown in Lincoln could determine nation’s best DT

Daily Oklahoman

NORMAN — Oklahoma boasts Lee Roy Selmon and Tommie Harris. Nebraska claims Larry Jacobson and Rich Glover.

But despite the two schools’ proud tradition at the position, never before in the history of OU-Nebraska has the defensive tackle matchup commanded the spotlight like it will Saturday.

Sooner Gerald McCoy vs. Cornhusker Ndamukong Suh. Superstars who figure to go in the top five of next year’s NFL Draft.

"Their guy is a great player and obviously you know how we feel about Gerald,” said OU defensive coordinator Brent Venables. "They are two of the best defensive tackles to come through this league in a long time.”

Forget the league.

McCoy and Suh are two of the best defensive tackles to come through college football in some time.

Both are favorites to win Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. Both are near locks to be named first-team All-American. Both will vie for the Lombardi and Outland trophies.

In fact, Saturday’s showdown could go a long way in determining all of that, despite the best efforts of both players attempting to downplay the matchup.

"I’m interested to see how well our offensive line does against him, but for me, my concern is their offensive line,” Suh told The Oklahoman in a phone interview. "I’m not really paying too much attention to the hype. We’re on two total opposite sides.”

McCoy tried to avoid taking any questions about the matchup by preemptively declaring he had nothing to say about Suh. But even McCoy acknowledged it’s not often the focus is on the defensive tackles.

"Well true, but it is about time we get some credit,” he said. "We work hard enough. But we don’t want credit. We just want to do what we can up front to help our team.”

McCoy and Suh have helped their teams profusely, but in different ways.

Suh relies more on his athleticism to separate from blockers before chasing down ball-carriers across the line of scrimmage, one reason why he leads the Huskers in tackles, which is rare for a defensive tackle.

McCoy often relies on his power to get penetration and disrupt opposing backfields.

Of course, Suh has plenty of power; and McCoy, athleticism.

"They’re both great players, but they play two different styles of football,” said OU center Ben Habern, who will be charged with the tall task of helping contain Suh. "Gerald is more of a penetrator trying to get through the line, while Suh is stand up, read the play, shed blocks and make tackles down the line of scrimmage.

"Either way, they’re both big-time NFL-status players.”

It'll just be coincidence that they're on the same field. They don't go head-to-head, so it's not like it's a "matchup."

Well you know how the media is they have to build drama and emotion in to everything. Good thing the two best place holders aren't matchin-up for this one. WHEW that would be something.....

Another comment:

"Gerald McCoy is testimony to the virtue of spending four years in college, before going to the NFL. Nobody in the NFL has had more fun the past two years than Gerald McCoy has had on campus. He's one of the greatest kids to come through the program. While I hope and expect him to have a long and dominant NFL career, I am glad that he chose to fulfill the four years of his scholarship."

um, so is Suh. one of the better testaments to the virtue of spending 4 years in college due to the fact that he was a guaranteed top 10 pick in last year's NFL draft. I'm sure McCoy was too, but give Suh some credit here.

I definitely agree that only folks in Oklahoma would think McCoy is on the same level as Suh. Granted, i have not seen to much of McCoys play but I can almost be certain from watching Suh every week that noone is on his level. anywhere.

Testimony to only OU fans can think McCoy is on Suh's level is the fact that so many people coming into the year had McCoy and Suh neck and neck on their better DT's, draftboards, etc... Now, almost EVERYONE has Suh ahead in that category. Bout all that needs to be said.

Yeah. There is no comparison.

McCoy - 19 Tackles (15 solo), 1 pass breakup, 0 interceptions, 3.5 sacks, 9 hurries, 0 kicks blocked.

Suh - 49 tackles (28 solo), 7 pass breakups, 1 interception, 5 sacks, 9 hurries, 2 kicks blocked.

Looks like McCoy only has one tied stat. Suh is flat out DOMINANT. McCoy is just good.

Edit: Heck . . . even Crick has better stats than McCoy. That's almost embarrassing for OU fans now . . .

Crick - 49 tackles (22 solo), 1 pass breakup, 0 interceptions, 8.5 sacks, 8 hurries, 1 kick blocked.

In summary: Carl/Bo Pelini are DL WIZZARDS. These guys can coach.

At one point or another during this season I have heard both Jason Peter and Joel Makovicka say that they thought McCoy was the best DL in the country. Peter may have changed his mind because he said it right around the first game, but Makovicka said it before the La-Laf. game, which came after Suh's monster game against Va-Tech. He kept saying how Suh took to many plays off and that he only knocked down passes because he was getting blocked and gave up on his rush. He kind of sounded like a boob when he was saying it.

I personally don’t think that the things McCoy does show up on the stat sheet. He is a space eater that takes on blocks which allows the LB’s and Safety’s to make the tackles. Their starting LB’s have a combined 166 tackles compared to 113 for NU. Their 3rd leading tackler is a safety and he has over 50 tackles. Maybe I’m wrong in thinking that the DT philosophies for both teams might be just a little different. I could be wrong though.

IMO: Suh is better then McCoy, that being said they are both pretty stinking good.