Something I noticed about our defense...

Saunders

Looking back at some of the stats, our defense has held every offense to their lowest (or tied) points scored this season except ISU (3 vs IA) and Mizzou (7 vs Texas). Obviously, Texas' defense is legit good, and ISU we can chalk up to an absurd amount of turnovers. Still, the marked improvement is amazing.

Last year, we didn't do this to a single team.

The thing I am most impressed about regarding the defense is that even though they are giving up yards every game, the scoring defense is holding strong. I don't care if we give up 400 or 500 yards of total offense as long as we are keeping teams to below 20 points. With our offense, I think keeping teams below 20 points can give us a chance to win.

The defense is good, but my complaint is that they never seem to make big plays when they are needed. Yeah, our offense is absolutely horrible, but elite defenses find ways to overcome this (see: 2009 Missouri game). It just seems that this defense fails to come up with game changing plays (Missouri would be the exception to this).

The defense is good, but my complaint is that they never seem to make big plays when they are needed. Yeah, our offense is absolutely horrible, but elite defenses find ways to overcome this (see: 2009 Missouri game). It just seems that this defense fails to come up with game changing plays (Missouri would be the exception to this).

You cant expect the defense to score all the points. They are there to get the ball back and keep the other team from scoring. Our defense has done more than their share at preventing teams from getting into the endzone (i.e ISU had 8 takeaways yet only crossed the 50 twice, never got in the redzone and scored 9 pts, ISU had one more point than takeaways, that there is great defense). The offense needs to contribute to this team as well.

You cant expect the defense to score all the points. They are there to get the ball back and keep the other team from scoring. Our defense has done more than their share at preventing teams from getting into the endzone (i.e ISU had 8 takeaways yet only crossed the 50 twice, never got in the redzone and scored 9 pts, ISU had one more point than takeaways, that there is great defense). The offense needs to contribute to this team as well.

I never said they had to score all the points. All I was getting at was that game changing plays/turnovers is what is keeping this defense from being of the elite status. Any elite defense gets turnovers and makes plays when they need to be made.

I never said they had to score all the points. All I was getting at was that game changing plays/turnovers is what is keeping this defense from being of the elite status. Any elite defense gets turnovers and makes plays when they need to be made.

That's true, but you also have to figure, teams aren't really taking chances against us. They know our O is weak, and by hanging around, they have a good chance to get a TO from our offensive ineptitude. If our O was better, teams would have to take more chances and shots downfield to keep close, thus enabling our guys a better chance at turnovers. Plus, we've dropped a retarded amount of interceptions.

That's true, but you also have to figure, teams aren't really taking chances against us. They know our O is weak, and by hanging around, they have a good chance to get a TO from our offensive ineptitude. If our O was better, teams would have to take more chances and shots downfield to keep close, thus enabling our guys a better chance at turnovers. Plus, we've dropped a retarded amount of interceptions.

Yeah, but you could also say our defense looks really good because teams don't need to take chances down the field and therefore, aren't getting the big time plays.

That argument works both ways.

Yeah, but you could also say our defense looks really good because teams don't need to take chances down the field and therefore, aren't getting the big time plays.

That argument works both ways.

Wow, both of you really don't have a clue about the game of football do you?

Our defense is very good. In fact, they've given up even fewer that the stats show. Gabbert was six inches short at the end of the half. The brilliant backwards WR screen pass that we stared at while Tech's slow defender took 80 yards on us had nothing to do with the defense, and the same thing with Green's pick six against Baylor.

But I'm not convinced our defense is great yet. I think we still need more talent at DB and LB before we will really be great. If we hold Oklahoma to 10 points I'll change my mind.

I would rather not see out defense give up 400-500 yards because this would mean the other team's offense is on the field the better part of the game. If this is the case, then it will be hard for our offense to score 20 or more.

Yup. It's that bend to break mentality that Bo preaches finally kicking in. In numerous games this year teams have put up a good 40 or 60 yard drive on us but more than not it ends in a FG or punt.

I can remember many times when we have given up a 20 or 30 yard play due to a missed tackle or blown coverage but we dont panic we just keep playing solid d the rest of the drive. That is a big upgrade from last year.