Something to really get excited about!

As good as our defense is, they can still be a lot better. OU was moving the ball quite effectively on us a few times, and crossing routes with Murray and others were good for 10+ yards at a time. Once Bo gets the players he wants, and we establish even more depth, we may see a defense the likes of which has never been seen in this state before. :)

Coach speak.

I don't care how good Crick will be. There is going to be some HUGE shoes to fill on the D-line next year.

This.

Suh is going to be a huge position to fill, arguably one of the biggest shoes to fill ever for this football team. Do we have capable guys to take over? Of course. But they are still going to be young and inexperienced. We may never see somebody the likes of Suh again.

That said, you do have to be very optimistic about this team. They have the most important defensive stat under control, and that is scoring defense, but they still give up gainers here and there and put themselves in bad positions. Bending but not breaking. If they could just limit how much they bend, this defense could be dangerous.

Yeah, I caught that. I can see why they'd say that. We lose Suh and Turner off the DL, and replace them with Moore/Steinkuhler (Suh) and Cameron Meredith (Turner). From what I've seen of Meredith in spot duty, he'll be a more than adequate replacement for Turner. Losing Suh is a huge blow, but either Moore or Steinkuhler will be just fine, and if Crick simply plays at the same level, a line featuring Allen, Moore/Stein, Crick & Meredith will wreak havoc on opponents just like the line is doing this year. I see not a lot of dropoff next year, but obviously there will be some.

At LB we return Compton and Fisher. We're going to miss Dillard, especially the way he's been playing the last couple of games, but with another year of seasoning I think Eric Martin will be able to step in and wreak havoc (although Martin is currently listed as the #2 Buck LB, I think he'll move over to Will). We're going to be just fine, and very likely better, at LB next year. Remember, Compton and Fisher are Redshirt Freshmen, with only half a season under their belts. Next year they should step it up another notch or two, and look out.

In the secondary we return a LOT of guys. At Corner we bring back Amukamara, Gomes, Dennard and West, or everyone from the base two-deep. We lose our two starting safeties, Asante and O'Hanlon, and that's a blow (especially the way Asante has been playing lately), but we return Hagg and PJ Smith, so we should be just fine. Hagg has been making a lot of big-time plays this year.

I really see this as an improving unit coming into next year. As good as these guys are playing right now, we really do have a chance to be even better next year.

Coach speak.

I don't care how good Crick will be. There is going to be some HUGE shoes to fill on the D-line next year.

I could see it. Suh is one man, granted he is one BIG man. But i think we have some talent in line at the Dline position with the new "double nickel" and Crick i think we will be fine. The secondary and LB's will get better next year as they are all relatively young. So I dont think it is a stretch to say the Defense as a whole probably will be better next year. The Dline may not be as good as this year, but everywhere else will have added more experience.

Coach speak.

You are correct, and it's possible the line won't be as good as a unit, and FOR SURE we will be "worse" at DT (because you cannot replace a once-in-a-generation player like Suh), but for an example of how things can just keep plugging along look at Texas Tech. They lost the most prolific passer in school history and arguably their best WR ever, yet they're ranked #2 in passing offense again this year with 400 yards passing/game and they're fourth in scoring offense at 40 PPG. With the correct system and good coaching you can absorb the loss of great players like Harrell, Crabtree and/or Suh, and still be very good at what you do.

I heard that comment, and yeah I kind of just shrugged it off. I think the idea is that if we can provide a top 5-10 defensive unit year and year out we should be solid enough to put up 9-10 wins each year as long as we have an offense that can put up 24-30 points a game.

SUH is one of the great ones here. He will not be replaced and you cant expect a top 3 draft pick to be replaced by someone who is going to be just as good.

Blocked passes, blocked field goals, interceptions, sacks, drawing double coverages, bulldozing and beating offensive lineman and constantly making plays. He dominates. Players feed off of him. Wow he is amazing. Could be the best we ever had.

Our defensive ends are decent but if they were better or quicker, the QB would have to step up into the pocket more and SUH and Crick would crunch him.

I agree, our D-ends could improve, our LBs can improve, and our secondary can improve.

So far I am very encouraged though.

They can be a lot better. Suh has a lot to do with our defense right now, but I think a lot of people feel linebacker and especially secondary play can be improved. It's frustrating how often QBs can complete passes against us to open WRs. I think what we see is that most of the defended passes are a result of our front four hurrying the QB, hitting him, tipping balls, etc and making up for the back seven.

If our back seven improves even more drastically next year, we could see some good things. Because losing Suh means it'll be hard for the front four to do the same stuff next year.

In the secondary we return a LOT of guys. At Corner we bring back Amukamara, Gomes, Dennard and West, or everyone from the base two-deep. We lose our two starting safeties, Asante and O'Hanlon, and that's a blow (especially the way Asante has been playing lately), but we return Hagg and PJ Smith, so we should be just fine. Hagg has been making a lot of big-time plays this year.

We should also have Thenarse back next year. Not sure who will start between Smith/Thenarse, but it's always good to have options.

Either way, I doubt we'll be better next year. Dillard, Suh, Turner, O'Hanlon, and Asante have all played well (some ridiculously well) this year and there will be dropoff with their replacements. We'll still have an excellent defense, just not quite this excellent.