Pelini went off on Watson

Joe_5700

That whole exchange was tense. It looked like it was a waterfall effect. I thought Bo threw some words at Watson who then turned to Lee.

But WTF was that call. SERIOUSLY an option right THEN? When we had already run like 4???

And with Lee no doubt.

:maddash

I am not a lip reader but it looked like he was saying "Why in The F are you running that play!!!!"

I agree Bo went off on Watson... Lee came in and then he got some as well. IMO

I really don't understand why his anger wasn't directly squarely at Roy? Regardless of bad playcall or poor read by Lee, he made a good pitch to Roy, which was not handled by him. If Roy grabs the pitch, like he should, we are going back to the huddle with a couple yard loss and worrying about the next play.

The pitch was right in Helu's hands and should have the been caught. Was Lee's read spot-on? No! But his read and pitch had nothing to do with Helu dropping the pitch.

Considering that Bo jumped all over Watson and Watson jumped all over Lee, do you think Lee checked off to the option play and got ripped for doing so?

Possibly, but wonder what play was called that would have made him check to the option? Regardless, it was a blown opportunity and all were to blame.

:yeah

I actually think he was to check out of that play. If you watch what Wats says to him it appears to be something that looked like "didn't you see that shift?" The secondary/LB adjusted on the play and Zac didn't adjust us.

Now maybe he said, "You can't see sh#t" but I don't think so!!

Did anyone else see how Pelini went off on Watson after the Lee/Helu fumble? I think Pelini knew we had 3 points in the bag with the field position and did not like that pitch call (neither did I).

I would've been unleashing fury on them as well, especially Zac for that dumbass pitch, although Roy still should have caught it. Should have never been pitched in the first place.

<_<

If Lee had kept the ball and gotten a touchdown or if Helu had scored on the pitch, then this conversation wouldn't exist because nobody would be complaining.

But I know, it's because it didn't work that it is being discussed.

At the same time, it's a call that wasn't executed which has been a problem all year.

I strongly disagree..... You don't run that play becuase Lee is not going to get the yards and score 98% of the time. NOBODY worried about Lee running. He is not a threat in anyway, infact looks scared most of the time. The pitch was high, and should have been caught, and looked like he was playing hot potato. I don't see why we would run an option play with Lee period... If you are going to do that, give us the best running option we have and that is not Lee.

As far as it not being executed..... thats a callaclown comment and precisely why we keep calling plays that we need to "execute" not plays that compliment our players abilities. That crap is the root of NU's probs for the last several years. You don't take a 6 ft. center in BBall and tell him to dunk it then say well..... he should have executed it... Crap!

I thought he was yelling at both because Watson looked hot too. He might have been defending Lee.

Watson went off on Lee as he came to the sidelines, but about 20 seconds later, you could see him march away form lee and go to watson yelling and pointing at the field.

Whoa, look, this proves what I have been saying for 3 weeks now that there is hint of contempt in the coaching ranks at NU.

Don't look now, but I am 9 for 10 on insider information. Pretty much the most reliable person on here. (Gotta give most credit to having connections and my sources though.)

Did anyone else see how Pelini went off on Watson after the Lee/Helu fumble? I think Pelini knew we had 3 points in the bag with the field position and did not like that pitch call (neither did I).

If was BO I would have fired Watson on the spot !! Watson needs to go coach high school or Division 3 somewhere. He is ruining the program !!

I thought he was yelling at both because Watson looked hot too. He might have been defending Lee.

Watson went off on Lee as he came to the sidelines, but about 20 seconds later, you could see him march away form lee and go to watson yelling and pointing at the field.

Whoa, look, this proves what I have been saying for 3 weeks now that there is hint of contempt in the coaching ranks at NU.

Don't look now, but I am 9 for 10 on insider information. Pretty much the most reliable person on here. (Gotta give most credit to having connections and my sources though.)

Uh a lot of us have been saying there is contempt in the ranks or a difference of philosophy...plus the way Bo was yelling into the headset in the OU game last year already showed that.

the weird thing about that play was how we had both TE and Paul on the short side of the field and then ran it back to the weakside, but just before we ran it OU's defense shifted toward the weakside where they outnumbered us. It just seems like we are giving away what we are doing somehow. Thats one where you would think you are trying to get the edge on the other side with motion. (Paul motioned over- and apparently the TE should have moved up or something? bc we got flagged too, lol)

<_<

If Lee had kept the ball and gotten a touchdown or if Helu had scored on the pitch, then this conversation wouldn't exist because nobody would be complaining.

But I know, it's because it didn't work that it is being discussed.

At the same time, it's a call that wasn't executed which has been a problem all year.

then why in the hell does Wats keep calling it? Bo needs to run his a$$ off.......Wats is no help.

For some that are begging for the option to come back, the RB needs to catch anything close to him b/c most of the time the QB is not going to be looking at him anyways. The play call at that time would have been fine in 99 not 09 with the talent we have on offense.

Funny you should say that. In the 1999 CU game, late in the 4th quarter we recovered a CU fumble on their 16, with the score tied 27 all. We just needed to burn a minute or so and kick a FG to win. But we ran the option, and I don't know if was Crouch or Alexander who botched it, but not only did CU recover, they drove down and nearly won it. The brainlessness of that option call was many times more so than the call this past Saturday.

I really don't understand why his anger wasn't directly squarely at Roy? Regardless of bad playcall or poor read by Lee, he made a good pitch to Roy, which was not handled by him. If Roy grabs the pitch, like he should, we are going back to the huddle with a couple yard loss and worrying about the next play.

The pitch was right in Helu's hands and should have the been caught. Was Lee's read spot-on? No! But his read and pitch had nothing to do with Helu dropping the pitch.

Considering that Bo jumped all over Watson and Watson jumped all over Lee, do you think Lee checked off to the option play and got ripped for doing so?

That's exactly what I thought when he ripped on him. Otherwise I think maybe he would have been just mildly pissed, but not ready to rip off his helmet and beat him with it. :)

I slow mo'd the play about 10 times to see exactly how the thing fell apart and here is my $.02.

OU had only a DT and a DE to the left of Hickman, then a db shifted in behind them. Therefore, we had 3 OL and the fullback to block 3 OU players. Hickman and OT Smith blocked no one and headed upfield. The DT basically blew through OG Williams and the DE went unblocked. The DE went unblocked so Lee could read him and turn upfield, if the DE took the pitchman, or, pitch to Helu, if the DE stepped up to tackle Lee. Once past the DE, we would have the 2 OL and the fullback to block at the next level. Nothing groundbreaking here so far.

The play broke down for two reasons: Williams did nothing to slow the DT from getting in the backfield and Lee took two steps left, saw a bit of white shirt in his way and decided he wanted rid of the ball. At this point, he stared down Helu for a few strides then pitched the ball directly at Helu's face mask, not behind him and it should have at least been caught and he could have lost a few yards. Instead, the ball popped over his head and behind him. Lee, the tough guy that he is, ran toward the fumble and did a little layout a yard short of the two Sooners intent on recovering. The two ham-fisted Sooners took a count of three Mississippi to actually secure the ball, while Lee lay on the tarmac like a 747 just in from O'Hare. No one, including Lee who was now 3 feet away tried to get in there and recover. Lee actually started to get up and head to the sideline before the OU guy had the fumble secured. He must be saving his fingers for the possibility of trying to become a concert pianist.

So, in the end, the biggest issue is trying to run the play with a guy who won't keep the ball under any circumstance other than the defense forgetting to come off the sideline to begin with. Lee runs the option like a delayed sweep, therefore it is not an option. The DE doesn't even have to choose who to take because Lee won't take it to that step. Lee either needs to hand off, or throw. Zone read or option is a joke.

Lee's only defense could be that he had two guys in front of him instead of one, but then he should have tried to cut it up inside of both and get what he could. He really has no clue or experience to run the option.