Bo Pelini: Colorado is our rival

knapplc

:facepalm:

Bo Pelini considers Nebraska's game against Colorado a rivalry game, and says the Huskers won't be looking ahead to the Big 12 Championship against Texas on Dec. 5.

Nebraska (8-3, 5-2 Big 12) travels to Colorado (3-8, 2-5) on Friday. The game begins at 2:30 p.m. on ABC.

Nebraska has won six of the past eight meetings in Boulder, but did lose in its last trip to Folsom Field in 2007.

In part, Pelini decides what a rivalry game is based on the fans.

“I know this is a special game to our fans and to Colorado fans,” Pelini said Monday during his weekly news conference. “The two states are close together and this game is important to our fans in western Nebraska, and they want bragging rights. They make a lot of sacrifices driving a long way to see us play, and we’ve got to have their back this week.”

Maybe this is just coach-speak, trying to maintain focus. But this makes me want to hurl. It's like-- wait... hang on... OH GOD

PLAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

.... uhhhh.... sorry about that. I thought I could hold it in. I'll clean that up.

I just don't see it. I never have. Put the CU game in early October and the Iowa State game the day after Thanksgiving and I'd feel the same way.

It's not a rivalry.

Here's the stupid LINK

This game has all the makings of a potential rivalry, but Nebraska flat owns CU in the W/L column. Not to mention right now both programs aren't on the same level. Not even the same universe. If Colorado got itself back to respectability, had a few good seasons, everything is in place. Last game of the season. Thanksgiving weekend. Hatred between the fan bases. Hopefully the North title will hinge on the victor. These types of things can over time develop into a rivalry, but as it exists right now, it's only spite for a classless program and a lackluster team.

In the far reaches of western Nebraska, where I grew up, we see it as some intense bragging rights. There were more than a fair share of obnoxious Buffs fans that I would have to deal with every year. I would always look forward to us stomping them so they would shut up and go back to talking about the Broncos.

knapplc is usually on point with most things, but on this, he is way off. Colorado MUST be our rival because they are the only team in the north that has accomplished what we have. Their accomplishments RIVAL ours.

ri·val (rvl)

n.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

Here are my personal criteria for a rivalry:

1. Play each other every year CheckMark.gif

Played every season since 1948.

2. Each team has won a decent amount in recent years CheckMark.gif

4-4 in the last eight.

3. Most of the games in recent years have been close and exciting CheckMark.gif

Eight of the last 13 have been close games. The '99, '00 and '08 games have been three of the most exciting Husker games I've ever watched.

A general dislike for the other team's fans isn't a must, but it adds a little to the NU-CU rivalry IMO.

Colorado is not our rival. They're just obnoxious whiny fans like ksu fans. To me rivalry is a respectful matchup. I don't respect or have any concern over what happens to CU. I want to beat them like every other team. Which win would be more important to us (every 2 of 4)...Cu or OU?

By that definition, KU/MU is not a rivalry.... And I consider it one of the most entertaining rivalry that exists. Right up there with Michigan/OSU which, by your deff. is not a rivalry either...