Bo Pelini: Colorado is our rival

knapplc

Colorado is probably as close to a rival as NU has had since the start of the Big 12. OU may have been our rival when that game meant something but if you ask OU fan now and we are probably #3 to them. NU fans hold on to that one more then the Sooner fans do.

Spot on there... OU fans see us in this sense the way we see CU fans in this sense... Some think its a rivalry, most dont.

Honestly, I'm 20. I've been alive for more years of the big 12 than i have the big 8. Sure, i've been following husker football as long as i can remember and i remember watching the 95 championship game w/ my mom in our living room in sioux city... i remember both parents talking about the OU game and all that. But as far as i'm concerned, Colorado is more of our rival than anything else we have. If we were to play Iowa every year like Florida plays Florida St, then I would change my mind there.. But honestly, they are our rival.. and Maud, other than the "bell" why would mizzou be a rival?

C'mon, man. That is absolutely not what I'm saying and you know it.

Reading - still fundamental after all these years.

Well it is absolutely what you said just a few posts earlier.

I did note the furious backpedling.

And yes, they have nothing more to win by beating Colorado than they did beating Baylor. Still counts as one conference win. Same as beating Oklahoma.

But doesn't it feel a bit better beating Colorado than Baylor? Cause I think that's all this is really about.

And we haven't even beat them yet.

And had a guy missed a 57 yard field goal last year in a game that would have almost salvaged Colorado's miserable season, the off-season discussions on this board would have been very different.

I'm guessing ABC-TV would also prefer that the Huskers treat this game as something.

Lets not forget our gift against Missouri.

Our "gift" was a heads up play by matt davison. There were no rules broken. The officials handed the game to CU on the "infamous" 5th down.

And just so everyone knows....the quote from the denver post is this....

"Pelini, in only his second year, forgot this is a rivalry."

And yes, they have nothing more to win by beating Colorado than they did beating Baylor. Still counts as one conference win. Same as beating Oklahoma.

But doesn't it feel a bit better beating Colorado than Baylor? Cause I think that's all this is really about.

And had a guy missed a 57 yard field goal last year in a game that would have almost salvaged Colorado's miserable season, the off-season discussions on this board would have been very different.

I'm guessing ABC-TV would also prefer that the Huskers treat this game as something.

Baylor beat missouri and colorado beat KU....that's each teams big win this year so I think it's about the same. The only reason losing to Cu is worse than losing to baylor this season is because of record.

Lets not forget our gift against Missouri.

Our "gift" was a heads up play by matt davison. There were no rules broken. The officials handed the game to CU on the "infamous" 5th down.

And just so everyone knows....the quote from the denver post is this....

"Pelini, in only his second year, forgot this is a rivalry."

I was living in Colorado when McCartney (was it mccartney? f#*k i can't remember) manufactured the 'rivalry' with Nebraska. I thought it was a joke and never took it seriously.

Colorado just desperately wanted a rival, and we were the best choice

Besides, I thought they had a rivalry going with Colorado State now

Just listening to all on the board, and their continual screaming of hatred of Colorado you wonder what it would take to be a rival.

I never hated Oklahoma, I respected them as a power. Colorado was once a power in this conference. Way more so than any other team we play. They have a NC and several conference championships. In 71 I think we beat Oklahoma for the NC, guess who was third a the end of the year. They always play us tough. Hatred for a team in many areas is a common bond for a rivalry.

I do not hate Colorado. Never had a problem at a game, but have not been to many. I lived in Colorado and wore a Husker cap nearly every single day. Never had my tires cut or shown any type of evil alleged to their fans.

If we need a rivalry game this one would fit is my guess. Bo thinks it is and is pushing it so if it is to the coach and the team it should be for the fans no matter your lack of respect for them. :dunno

I'll scream about miami and their ways but it doesn't make em our rival.

...we gain nothing more by beating this team than we gained by beating Baylor.

Since you're still having trouble with your comprehension, I put the quote you removed back in, and made it a little bigger for you. HTH :thumbs

And no, beating Colorado means nothing more to me than beating Baylor. Baylor has a better record than Colorado. Beating Baylor stopped a two-game skid for the Huskers. When we beat Colorado... what does that give us that beating Baylor didn't? Or Florida Atlantic? Nothing.

You admit that this is a fabricated "rivalry." If you want to be led into believing this is a rivalry because someone trying to make this an important game told you it was, that's on you. Me, I'm not so gullible.

And no, beating Colorado means nothing more to me than beating Baylor.

Not everyone is you.

It's not a matter of gullibility either, chief. Doesn't matter who manufactured it or why, over the past 20 years NU vs. CU has produced some nailbiter games, some painful blowouts and some games of national signifigance. Nobody in the Big 12 North comes close in terms of memorable games.

Of course you could go back 40 years to make your case. But that would be kinda stupid.

They have won a national championship. They have won conference championships. They have won games. They have a Heisman winner. They have a walter camp, dick butkus, doak walker, jim thorpe, john mackey, ray guy, AND a bear bryant coach of the year award*

Name another school in the north with those things on their resume. They dont have as many, but they have been where we have been. They "attempt to equal or surpass" us.

*No NU award

:yeah

Here is how I see it. Oklahoma/Nebraska has been a rivalry for the older Husker fans for decades and the younger Husker fans see the Colorado/Nebraska game as a rivalry because we grew up with it like that since the OU/NU match up every year went down the drain.

Well, and I hate to say it, but this is one of the most sensible comments on this thread. Knapp, I agree with you in that CU is not my rivalry, OU is. But, this is ALL a matter of opinion when it comes down to it and no amount of stats or anything else is going to change how individuals feel about this game. Case in point, us older fans still see OU as our rival, most of them don't, so does that negate how we feel? OU see's Texas as their rival and no matter how much we would like it to be different, it isn't going to change. Yet we still feel the same. Well, if others see CU as the rival, so what. Times are changing and eventually the whole NU/OU rivalry of the 70's, 80's and early 90's is going to fade away completely. Myself, I love to relive those glory days of Big Eight football and with that the annual NU/OU game. Yet, that is the past and it isn't ever going to return.

I will say this and others have said it as well, the NU/CU games over the last couple decades have produced some great matchups and very close games. Whether or not that contitiutes a rivalry is up to speculation. But the past (NU/OU) is pretty much gone for ever thanks to the Big 12, like it or not.

Finally, this game does matter to me. Regardless of the fact that we lost to Iowa St., the team has made strides forward since then and losing to CU would be a huge step backward. I for one do not want to see that happen. Winning this game gives credibility to the North Title, losing it would take away some of it's luster. Plus, winning it gives the team needed confidence going into the Big 12 title game regardless of CU's record.

Of all the games this year we need this one the most. It gives credibility to the season. We lose it, it is a fall way down the ladder in the courtries eyes.

It normally is that way every year. It is a must win game for Nebraska every year.

I understand Bo's thinking.

I don't see how this is a must-win game at all. We've already wrapped up the North, so there's no urgency there. We'll go to a bowl game win or lose, and possibly the same bowl win or lose, so there's no urgency there either. Suh isn't a genuine Heisman candidate so there's no need to pump his stats, so there's no need there.

The season lost all credibility by losing to Iowa State, and beating a 3-8 Colorado team (3-9 if we win) won't legitimize anything about our record.

We gain nothing by beating this team. Nothing.

Only true if you want to see a team going into the Big 12 championship with their tail between their legs and get stomped while the media laughs at how impotent we were at CU, the rest of the big 12 North laughs and the recruits we are trying to attract reconsider as the bowl representatives also reconsider and say--"No thank you" to a Husker team, twice beaten in their last two games--one by a terrible team .

Other than that you argument that getting our A$$ whupped in Boulder doesn't matter makes perfect sense. Right now it is the only thing that stands between a decent season and humiliation.

I always looked at rivalry games as a must win and when you didn't the coach was in trouble, sort of like the coaches in the Ohio State and Michigan or Alabama and Auburn. The saying was you can lose all your games but you must beat them. (though thats a joke)

Beating Colorado didn't save Solich's job so I have a hard time thinking of Colorado as a real rival.

Bo stated that because people that live near Colorado and drive to the game would have to hear about losing to them is a reason it's a rivalry. Well I have to work in CB and listen to the two Iowa State fans about losing to them this year does that make them a rival to now?

And no, beating Colorado means nothing more to me than beating Baylor.

Not everyone is you.

It's not a matter of gullibility either, chief. Doesn't matter who manufactured it or why, over the past 20 years NU vs. CU has produced some nailbiter games, some painful blowouts and some games of national signifigance. Nobody in the Big 12 North comes close in terms of memorable games.

Of course you could go back 40 years to make your case. But that would be kinda stupid.

It is a matter of gullability, Indian, because you're biting on a line dangled in front of your face. It's artificial - you said so yourself. So you're willing to hang on an artificial "rivalry" created because one coach decided he needed to boost his program, then perpetuated when a new conference needed to artificially generate interest in their new product. You swallowed it all: hook, line and sinker, and now you're trying to justify it. Sorry, you're still the same sucker W.C. Fields counted on 100 years ago. What minute were you born?

Then, you asked the question, and I quote, "...doesn't it feel a bit better beating Colorado than Baylor?" I answered it. Don't get your panties in a twist because I didn't give the answer you were hoping for. ;)

And I don't have to go back 40 years to make my case. I just need to go back to the last four years - where we've won three out of four, the game meant nothing in relation to national standing, winning the conference, winning the division, or anything greater than beating Iowa State or Kansas State meant, and yet, because someone said it's a "rivalry," you're following along.

KSU has produced, over the last 20 years, some "nailbiter games," games of "national significance," and some "painful blowouts." But, because nobody on either side of the game has told you it's a "rivalry," you ignore the fact that there has been similar significance.

You can do what you're told if that makes you happy. Me, I'm going to think for myself. This isn't a rivalry. It never has been. Maybe someday it will be, and if it is, I'll be there to embrace it.