Bo Pelini: Colorado is our rival

knapplc

knapplc is usually on point with most things, but on this, he is way off. Colorado MUST be our rival because they are the only team in the north that has accomplished what we have. Their accomplishments RIVAL ours.

ri·val (rvl)

n.

1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

My head just.... asplode.

In what way have they accomplished what we have?

Here's a list of things Nebraska hangs their hat on. Fill me in on the ones CU has equaled us on:

National Championships

Conference Championships

Wins (all time)

Consecutive sellouts

Heisman Trophy winners

Any other trophy winner (any trophy, all time)

Academic All-Americans

Athletic All-Americans

Head-to-Head wins

That's a decent start. When we figure those out, I can give more. If you want to do the research I'd love to see the actual numbers but (SPOILER ALERT) they're not even close to us on any of those categories.

NOTE - please read this in a respectful way. I'm not trying to be a buffoon here.

They have won a national championship. They have won conference championships. They have won games. They have a Heisman winner. They have a walter camp, dick butkus, doak walker, jim thorpe, john mackey, ray guy, AND a bear bryant coach of the year award*

Name another school in the north with those things on their resume. They dont have as many, but they have been where we have been. They "attempt to equal or surpass" us.

*No NU award

This game has all the makings of a potential rivalry, but Nebraska flat owns CU in the W/L column. Not to mention right now both programs aren't on the same level. Not even the same universe. If Colorado got itself back to respectability, had a few good seasons, everything is in place. Last game of the season. Thanksgiving weekend. Hatred between the fan bases. Hopefully the North title will hinge on the victor. These types of things can over time develop into a rivalry, but as it exists right now, it's only spite for a classless program and a lackluster team.

THIS.

When I look at a rivalry game, I look at a game that has big implications on whoever the winner is and a game that has fans really reeling to beat the other fans' teams.

Every year, I want to beat Colorado, but I don't want to beat them any more than I do any other team in the B12. I just want to beat them so our record gets better and so we better our post-season possibilities.

This year, and in previous years, there has been literally nothing important about our match up against CU. We already won the B12 North, they have no bowl slot they are fighting for, and their coach is more than likely going to get the boot come season end.

So yeah, do we get annoyed of listening to CU fans claim their victory over us months before the game even happens? Yes. Do we get sick of listening to them bicker about how bad we are? Yes.

But the important thing is that we dominate the W/L record against them. It's not even close. I consider K-State a bigger rival than I do CU. Hell, I consider Texas a bigger rival than I do CU.

They have won a national championship. They have won conference championships. They have won games. They have a Heisman winner. They have a walter camp, dick butkus, doak walker, jim thorpe, john mackey, ray guy, AND a bear bryant coach of the year award*

Name another school in the north with those things on their resume. They dont have as many, but they have been where we have been. They "attempt to equal or surpass" us.

*No NU award

:yeah

Here is how I see it. Oklahoma/Nebraska has been a rivalry for the older Husker fans for decades and the younger Husker fans see the Colorado/Nebraska game as a rivalry because we grew up with it like that since the OU/NU match up every year went down the drain.

Kansas State has won multiple awards, too. They also border our state. They've also had recent success against us.

Does that mean they're our rivals?

Quit being obtuse. Everyone knows that the sing outside of Manhattan KS proudly proclaims it as the home of the 1997 National Championship DEBATE TEAM. They have never been the best football program in the land. Colorado has.

Colorado is not our rival. They're just obnoxious whiny fans like ksu fans. To me rivalry is a respectful matchup. I don't respect or have any concern over what happens to CU. I want to beat them like every other team. Which win would be more important to us (every 2 of 4)...Cu or OU?

By that definition, KU/MU is not a rivalry.... And I consider it one of the most entertaining rivalry that exists. Right up there with Michigan/OSU which, by your deff. is not a rivalry either...

A rivalry should at least be recognized by both sides. My definition of a rivalry isn't the same as everyone else's. I wasn't trying to tell anyone that. KU/MU is their rivalry and they hate each other. To me a rivalry is something that I have a healthy respect for the other team and a desire to see us play them more than the average team. To me colorado is just another game. You want it to be a rivalry...fine. Just tossing my 2 cents in.

How is Colorado more of a rival than Iowa State?

This is how..

The following Schedules represent 30 years of football

Bold Represent Nebraska Losses.

Series with Iowa State:

2009 L 7 - 9 Lincoln

2008 W 35 - 7 Ames

2007 W 35 - 17 Lincoln

2006 W 28 - 14 Ames

2005 W 27 - 20 Lincoln OT

2004 L 27 - 34 Ames

2003 W 28 - 0 Lincoln

2002 L 14 - 36 Ames

2001 W 48 - 14 Lincoln

2000 W 49 - 27 Ames

1999 W 49 - 14 Lincoln HC

1998 W 42 - 7 Ames

1997 W 77 - 14 Lincoln

1996 W 49 - 14 Ames

1995 W 73 - 14 Lincoln

1994 W 28 - 12 Ames

1993 W 49 - 17 Lincoln

1992 L 10 - 19 Ames

1991 W 38 - 13 Lincoln

1990 W 45 - 13 Ames

1989 W 49 - 17 Lincoln HC

1988 W 51 - 16 Ames

1987 W 42 - 3 Lincoln

1986 W 35 - 14 Ames

1985 W 49 - 0 Lincoln

1984 W 44 - 0 Ames

1983 W 72 - 29 Lincoln

1982 W 48 - 10 Ames

1981 W 31 - 7 Lincoln

1980 W 35 - 0 Ames

1979 W 34 - 3 Lincoln

Series With Colorado:

2008 W 40 - 31 Lincoln

2007 L 51 - 65 Boulder

2006 W 37 - 14 Lincoln

2005W 30 - 3 Boulder

2004 L 20 - 26 Lincoln

2003W 31 - 22 Boulder

2002 L 13 - 28 Lincoln

2001 L 36 - 62 Boulder

2000 W 34 - 32 Lincoln

1999 W 33 - 30 Boulder OT

1998 W 16 - 14 Lincoln

1997 W 27 - 24 Boulder

1996 W 17 - 12 Lincoln

1995 W 44 - 21 Boulder

1994 W 24 - 7 Lincoln HC

1993W 21 - 17 Boulder

1992 W 52 - 7 Lincoln HC

1991 T 19 - 19 Boulder

1990 L 12 - 27 Lincoln

1989 L 21 - 27 Boulder

1988 W 7 - 0 Lincoln

1987 W 24 - 7 Boulder

1986 L 10 - 20 Boulder

1985 W 17 - 7 Lincoln HC

1984 W 24 - 7 Boulder

1983 W 69 - 19 Lincoln HC

1982 W 40 - 14 Boulder

1981W 59 - 0 Lincoln

1980 W 45-7 Boulder

1979 W 38 - 10 28 # Lincoln

I count 4 Losses to Iowa State in the last 30 years and a LOT OF NEBRASKA BLOWOUTS. Iowa State is an easy place to play. Cyclone fans are for the most part respectable and good hosts.

I count 7 Losses and 1 Tie to Colorado in the last 30 years and a LOT of CLOSE GAMES.. Also Colorado has won Conference Championships and National Championships. Those are two qualities that I and a lot of other people look for in a rival.. Finally as a whole, the Colorado fans and program treat Nebraska fans poorly and without the respect we deserve making bad blood a factor and another important element for them being a rival.

Thats why Colorado is a rival and Iowa State is not.