Pelini wasn't ready

Ok the main thing about this is that I'm positing that Bo wasn't ready to be a head coach after 2003. While I won't say that Callahan was a great hire (he did have a couple of productive years, but overall his stay here was a failure of the highest degree), I don't know how much better Bo would've been if we had just kept him here.

Say what you will, but he earned a whole lot of experience in the years between Nebraska. He was on National Championship contender football programs for all of his years, he probably learned exactly how to run a program like Nebraska from Stoops, and he learned how to win at high levels at both but mostly LSU where he won a National Championship.

So while we have no clue how good we would've been if we would've just kept him, I don't think anyone can disagree that coaching at top programs like Oklahoma and LSU didn't prepare him to bring Nebraska back to prominence.

(I'm pretty sure that this probably would've been better posted when he was hired or anytime before this, but I just found this message board so I didn't have a chance)

Welcome to the board, first of all. I can agree with what you are saying, but you are correct this subject has been discussed at length many times. If you wish to bring an old topic to the top, you can use the search function and find an old similar topic, but don't be afraid to jump in with your thoughts and start a new one. I look forward to your insights in the future.

Ok the main thing about this is that I'm positing that Bo wasn't ready to be a head coach after 2003. While I won't say that Callahan was a great hire (he did have a couple of productive years, but overall his stay here was a failure of the highest degree), I don't know how much better Bo would've been if we had just kept him here.

Say what you will, but he earned a whole lot of experience in the years between Nebraska. He was on National Championship contender football programs for all of his years, he probably learned exactly how to run a program like Nebraska from Stoops, and he learned how to win at high levels at both but mostly LSU where he won a National Championship.

So while we have no clue how good we would've been if we would've just kept him, I don't think anyone can disagree that coaching at top programs like Oklahoma and LSU didn't prepare him to bring Nebraska back to prominence.

(I'm pretty sure that this probably would've been better posted when he was hired or anytime before this, but I just found this message board so I didn't have a chance)

Welcome to the board man...I have never talked about this subject on here so why not? I know there are other threads but they are old.

The experience Bo got from other programs was huge, but I still think he would have learned as he went along. Would Bo have gotten rid of the option? I don't know, but I bet our offense would be very different than it is now. The walk-on program would have never been shelved, we would have still had a great defense the whole time, and I bet Bo would have been successful in recruiting.

Having said that...I think the hiring of Callahan was a blessing in disguise. For the simple fact that we as fans have learned a bit of patience and understanding. It would be hard for any man to precede Dr. Osborne...if we hired Bo then maybe he wouldn't still be here, because the fans jumped the gun a bit and weren't happy with our win percentage?? Plus we got Osborne to come back to be AD which is huge, huge, huge!! So in the end I am happy with how it happened with Bo getting experience, Osborne is our AD, and the firing of Pederson and Callahan. We now know what really matters to us and it is tradition, hard work, walk-ons, and a certain culture around our football program that makes us proud win or lose.

Very good point. the last 5-7 years, (depending if your eyeing 2002 and 2003 as well) have been very humbling. Gave us a chance to "start over" all major streaks were reset except the sellout of course. a total change in offensive philosophy. Every program goes thru a down fall, Oklahoma had on that lasted 10 years, Miami seems to have one ever 2-3 years, Florida St. is in one now. Texas had one, A&M is in one now etc. etc. etc. When we're back on top and we look back and say that 7-7, 10-3 bowl win, 5-6, 8-4 and bowl win, 9-5 division champs, 5-7, 9-4 bowl win, was the worst we had to experience as a "downspell" then we truly are the best program in Football, not to mention only missing bowl games in 2 of those years, and even those lost by close games in the last of each season.

Welcome to the board.

I actually think what your saying is something a lot of posters on here have thought about or felt, but just haven't taken the time to really talk about. Or if we did talk about it, it was in passing in another thread.

In your second to last statement, you meant coaching at those places did prepare him to bring Nebraska back as opposed to didn't , correct?

Very good point. the last 5-7 years, (depending if your eyeing 2002 and 2003 as well) have been very humbling. Gave us a chance to "start over" all major streaks were reset except the sellout of course. a total change in offensive philosophy. Every program goes thru a down fall, Oklahoma had on that lasted 10 years, Miami seems to have one ever 2-3 years, Florida St. is in one now. Texas had one, A&M is in one now etc. etc. etc. When we're back on top and we look back and say that 7-7, 10-3 bowl win, 5-6, 8-4 and bowl win, 9-5 division champs, 5-7, 9-4 bowl win, was the worst we had to experience as a "downspell" then we truly are the best program in Football, not to mention only missing bowl games in 2 of those years, and even those lost by close games in the last of each season.

Good post. Never thought of it that way, actually. I knew all those programs had it bad for a while, but I didn't realise how easily we got 'off the hook' (if we are off it, that is). Thanks, sunshine!

I agree that being at NU in '03, OU and LSU greatly helped Coach Pelini in his development. He's a great defensive coordinator who is learning to be a head coach. As the defense is perfected, I look forward to Pelini's offensive development. Because he has the defensive coordinator mindset, he knows what type of offense and players are difficult to stop. I hope in the coming years that he helps develop an offense like that.

I agree that being at NU in '03, OU and LSU greatly helped Coach Pelini in his development. He's a great defensive coordinator who is learning to be a head coach. As the defense is perfected, I look forward to Pelini's offensive development. Because he has the defensive coordinator mindset, he knows what type of offense and players are difficult to stop. I hope in the coming years that he helps develop an offense like that.

Let's not forget about the recruiting connections he seems to have developed in LA. He certainly added some hardware at those places that do well at attracting recruits, also.

Welcome to the board man...I have never talked about this subject on here so why not? I know there are other threads but they are old.

The experience Bo got from other programs was huge, but I still think he would have learned as he went along. Would Bo have gotten rid of the option? I don't know, but I bet our offense would be very different than it is now. The walk-on program would have never been shelved, we would have still had a great defense the whole time, and I bet Bo would have been successful in recruiting.

Having said that...I think the hiring of Callahan was a blessing in disguise. For the simple fact that we as fans have learned a bit of patience and understanding. It would be hard for any man to precede Dr. Osborne...if we hired Bo then maybe he wouldn't still be here, because the fans jumped the gun a bit and weren't happy with our win percentage?? Plus we got Osborne to come back to be AD which is huge, huge, huge!! So in the end I am happy with how it happened with Bo getting experience, Osborne is our AD, and the firing of Pederson and Callahan. We now know what really matters to us and it is tradition, hard work, walk-ons, and a certain culture around our football program that makes us proud win or lose.

Succeed. Though you're right, it would be hard for any man to precede Osborne :)

:) Welcome to the board. You are probably right, and I am sure that there are some here that feel that he still isn't ready.... :sarcasm

Being a head coach is something most people don't just wake up with the experience to do. There are growing pains. I think being at LSU was a huge educational benefit to Bo, seeing how a successful program is run. I think the longer that he has the position, the wiser he will get. A lot of it also depends on who he surrounds himself with. Then there is the fan support...which it seems there are some on here that have some problems with the choice of a couple of the assistants. But I am sure that is something every program has to deal with...and ignore to some degree.

I don't know about the fans learning to have patience, there is a lot of impatience exhibited on this board all the time, something I don't know was going on before Osborne left...I have Oldtimers disease and forget easily, but then maybe that is just my desire to think that Osborne was a coaching god...

I also don't know that Callahan was a blessing...we went backwards under him in a lot of ways. Team discipline went to hell, along with the performance of the defense. And the offense was starting to falter when he left. So, to be fair, I am not a fan of Callahan at all.

Callahan was a complete disaster. Even his "good" teams sucked and layed eggs. It was a disaster of epic proportions as far as football goes. Had NU hired Pelini in 2003, it would have been at least 37-12 after four years instead of 27-22. And had he been hired then, NU would be a fixture in the top 10 now instead of having to clean up all of Clownenburgers trash.

Sure, Bo had some stuff to learn and still does, but the point is, had we hired him then NU would have been a whole hell of alot better than Callahans trash put forth in four years.

I don't know about the fans learning to have patience, there is a lot of impatience exhibited on this board all the time, something I don't know was going on before Osborne left...I have Oldtimers disease and forget easily, but then maybe that is just my desire to think that Osborne was a coaching god...

I also don't know that Callahan was a blessing...we went backwards under him in a lot of ways. Team discipline went to hell, along with the performance of the defense. And the offense was starting to falter when he left. So, to be fair, I am not a fan of Callahan at all.

Yeah we have a bit of impatience after Callahan...mostly I think that stems from dumb penalties, sloppy play, and just not seeing a general sense of urgency at times. I mean the offense of course...you have to admit that it gets pretty tough to watch this offense at times. But what I mean is at this point...I don't think a lot of people are putting a huge emphasis on going undefeated right now. When Solich took over, oh boy, all the fans expected us to win every game by 60. Some fans expected us to win the NC every year. So I think most of us are to the point where we want to win, yeah, but we if we might drop 3 or 4 then we aren't going to do what we did to Frank. So we are cutting Bo a little slack which he needs to clean up the mess.

I am not a Callahan fan at all either. Some coaches just aren't college coaches. But my point is if we hired Bo and let's say he had a couple 5 or 6 loss seasons, I doubt it but possible, then maybe we would have jumped the gun and wanted him gone? Plus Osborne might not have come back, because Pederson might still be here. Bo gets experience at top programs and learns a little more about being a head coach, after Callahan we give the coaches some slack (Frank had no slack after Osborne), and Osborne is our AD now. I think that is a blessing.