ANOTHER Uninspiring Win

Washusker

i do not know why everyone is so down on our offense, the team has gotten the job done for 5 consecutive games. the offense has seemed to have found an identity. the o-line is getting better. lee made some pretty good passes today. and the rex/helu combo is pretty stout.

Found an identity? Maybe have ran the ball fairly(nothing eye popping) well the past couple games, but to say it's found an identity is wrong. We are still trying to emerge as a run first/throw second team. Lee has not had very good stats because we have thrown so conservatively. Take away all the defensive/sp teams big plays and try saying we have found an identity on offense...

Not trying to be a downer because I support the direction the offense is going, but just stating it how I see it. We're just not there yet on offense.

i think we differ on what I meant on 'found our identity.' we have found something that can work with our personnel, and it is a team game, so our offense necessarily complements our defense, and vice-versa. i'm not saying we are where we need to be, i was just saying we know where we should go, which is a big positive after the low point of our season with the two game losing streak.

As far as where we should go with our offense I definitely agree. It's just a matter of our execution from here on out.

i do not know why everyone is so down on our offense, the team has gotten the job done for 5 consecutive games. the offense has seemed to have found an identity. the o-line is getting better. lee made some pretty good passes today. and the rex/helu combo is pretty stout.

Found an identity? Maybe have ran the ball fairly(nothing eye popping) well the past couple games, but to say it's found an identity is wrong. We are still trying to emerge as a run first/throw second team. Lee has not had very good stats because we have thrown so conservatively. Take away all the defensive/sp teams big plays and try saying we have found an identity on offense...

Not trying to be a downer because I support the direction the offense is going, but just stating it how I see it. We're just not there yet on offense.

i think we differ on what I meant on 'found our identity.' we have found something that can work with our personnel, and it is a team game, so our offense necessarily complements our defense, and vice-versa. i'm not saying we are where we need to be, i was just saying we know where we should go, which is a big positive after the low point of our season with the two game losing streak.

As far as where we should go with our offense I definitely agree. It's just a matter of our execution from here on out.

yeah, i meant found an identity in that they know what they want to be, not that they are what they want to be.

I don't consider myself to be down on the offense. They're doing the best they can under difficult circumstances. In many ways they've had the deck stacked against them this season. And they are definitely showing improvement from the middle of the season since we changed our style around to something we could more easily execute. But the fact remains they are still pretty inconsistent and they are definitely the weaker half of the team right now. I think what you see as being "down" on the offense is more people feeling frustrated because the offense was pretty good last year combined with the disparity between our defense this year and the offense. People are also looking ahead to Texas and knowing they are going to have to play better than they have been for us to put enough points up on Texas to win.

We, as a fan base, have really gotten into a rut of demanding improvement every single season in all aspects. Sorry to say that just isn't going to happen with any team, including ours.

Edit - I suppose I should say weakest third of the team, since special teams definitely plays a big part in football.

I completely disagree.

I think the vast majority of NU fans are extremely satisfied with the improvement of the blackshirts these last two years under Carl/Bo and hardly demand even more improvement from them next year (they're #8 in the nation "now").

But no matter how deep you bury your head in the sand there simply is no excuse for our offense falling completely off the cliff this year. It's not like we lost 5 or 6 high NFL draft choices last year from the offense. Sure, we lost some good seniors but who doesn't every year?? I'm sure most fans would have been just fine with a drop off from the nation's #12 to #25 through #40 or something. But #82???

Tell me in 25 years when TO had an offense that bad. Go ahead......

Bo/Carl took over the #112th defense last year and pulled them to #55 in "one" year.

This is bigtime cfb, not the post office or public schools where failure is accepted and ignored. These coaches are paid the big money to "produce", not just hang around.

I don't consider myself to be down on the offense. They're doing the best they can under difficult circumstances. In many ways they've had the deck stacked against them this season. And they are definitely showing improvement from the middle of the season since we changed our style around to something we could more easily execute. But the fact remains they are still pretty inconsistent and they are definitely the weaker half of the team right now. I think what you see as being "down" on the offense is more people feeling frustrated because the offense was pretty good last year combined with the disparity between our defense this year and the offense. People are also looking ahead to Texas and knowing they are going to have to play better than they have been for us to put enough points up on Texas to win.

We, as a fan base, have really gotten into a rut of demanding improvement every single season in all aspects. Sorry to say that just isn't going to happen with any team, including ours.

Edit - I suppose I should say weakest third of the team, since special teams definitely plays a big part in football.

I completely disagree.

I think the vast majority of NU fans are extremely satisfied with the improvement of the blackshirts these last two years under Carl/Bo and hardly demand even more improvement from them next year (they're #8 in the nation "now").

But no matter how deep you bury your head in the sand there simply is no excuse for our offense falling completely off the cliff this year. It's not like we lost 5 or 6 high NFL draft choices last year from the offense. Sure, we lost some good seniors but who doesn't every year?? I'm sure most fans would have been just fine with a drop off from the nation's #12 to #25 through #40 or something. But #82???

Tell me in 25 years when TO had an offense that bad. Go ahead......

Bo/Carl took over the #112th defense last year and pulled them to #55 in "one" year.

This is bigtime cfb, not the post office or public schools where failure is accepted and ignored. These coaches are paid the big money to "produce", not just hang around.

Well first off comparing the powder puff days of college football to today's college football doesn't hold water.During TO's coaching career there was about 6 real college football teams that managed rosters of well over 100 of the top HS players in the country. A little different today.

2nd you don't think Husker fans wont demand or want more from there team each and every preceding season???? It's called Johnny come lately and it happens in every aspect of society. You must not have been old enough to remember the first 20 years of TO's career

And third, nobody has given Wats and this staff a muligan but hell what do you want them to do midseason??

And if you read the papers from time to time I don't think anyone is accepting or ignoring the problems on offense. But atleast they are trying to plug the hole in the dam for the time being until they can truly work on the problems in the off-season.

Gaah.

The Huskers have taken on the tough physical persona of their coach. And that's a good thing.

The O-line is still below average. It will always be the base for success or failure of any team. You have a few guys that can do well run blocking, a few guys that can pass block for a few seconds. But together they are not getting it done consistently as a group. Its unfortunate. Until they shake it up, we should know what to expect since conference play began.

We only have two games left this year. Our goal was to get to the Big 12 Championship and we did that, and happened to beat Oklahoma on the way, which most of us (myself included) thought would be a given loss. Considering our terrible offense, the fact we have 9 wins is amazing to me. With two games left, I just hope to play hard the rest of the way out and if we're lucky win at least one more before it's all over. Then, we can focus on improving for next year which should hopefully be a good year.

I know I know, so uninspired i just wanna go drink. Boy i sure hope we beat Texas by 30, cuz if I have to watch us beat another team like we have the last few weeks, I'm just gonna Hurl

IT'S A WIN, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9, 9 of them now, with opportunities for two more. At least this team has an attitude of finding a way and not just givin in a 45-20 Callahan special. We're still light years ahead of '07.

I do see the negatives of it, i do see your point and the problems we have, but it is in no way "UNINSPIRING".

I agree.. we win one of our next two and we will have an uninspiring 10 win season..

Do some of you rush to the window when you wake up in the morning and hope your car turned into a newer car while you were sleeping?

I don't think how many people realize that we are 2 plays away from being 11-1. If only 1 red zone turnover vs. Iowa State is a field goal we win. VaTech has been discussed ad nauseum.

Our D is winning games and our O is pretty bad. It isn't pretty but for the most part it is working.

Why keep starting these redundant threads? Did you really think we were going to come out and throw for 450 and score 60 points while the D pitches a shutout?