Officials

treeeman

Officiating has been especially bad this year, and anyone who says otherwise hasnt watched any football. I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand more times, refs on the take in sports is as deep seeded as athletes using steroids. What we watch is just glorified WWE. I fully expect us to get 3-4 personal foul penalties and i would guess Texas wont receive one holding call much like the OU game. My guess for penalty yardage would be NU 10-100, TX 4-30.

Well then obviously ESPN set up the officials for the game since they don't like us either...

:sarcasm

The officiating has been horrendous this year, thruout the big 12 as a whole. There's just times where they seem like they really dont know what's goin on. Iknow holding is something that could be called on anyplay bla bla bla, but this year it has been as evident as any that they pick and choose when they wanna call it.

Officiating has been especially bad this year, and anyone who says otherwise hasnt watched any football. I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand more times, refs on the take in sports is as deep seeded as athletes using steroids. What we watch is just glorified WWE. I fully expect us to get 3-4 personal foul penalties and i would guess Texas wont receive one holding call much like the OU game. My guess for penalty yardage would be NU 10-100, TX 4-30.

Well then obviously ESPN set up the officials for the game since they don't like us either...

I am not just lumping us in here. Take a look at the sports landscape. There are billions of dollars to be made gambling. Look at the well publicized SEC officiating crew that was suspended. There were several instances this year of blatant calls being missed or even not being overturned even with video evidence. Another instance comes to mind of the two phantom hold calls in the ND vs UCONN game that called back two consecutive UCONN TD's making them settle for a FG. It was so bad it was even pointed out on highlights.

I am sure there are several officiating crews out there in all sports that are using their position to make more money, we are a greed driven society and you cant tell me all officials are angels. Also, you will never see a sport seriously look into it because it would be far to devastating to all of sport. Its the same thing that caused baseball to stick their head in the sand about steriods.

I don't know about any "bias" towards or against any particular team. I know the officiating has been horrible across the board in the Big XII this year. I can't tell you how many times I've watched other teams playing (not the Huskers) and how many holds I've seen go uncalled. It's an epidemic, and it's not just against the Huskers.

It seems like the Big XII has made a decision to allow offenses to keep scoring, and to let the lines protect the QB any way they can.

I am not just lumping us in here. Take a look at the sports landscape. There are billions of dollars to be made gambling. Look at the well publicized SEC officiating crew that was suspended. There were several instances this year of blatant calls being missed or even not being overturned even with video evidence. Another instance comes to mind of the two phantom hold calls in the ND vs UCONN game that called back two consecutive UCONN TD's making them settle for a FG. It was so bad it was even pointed out on highlights.

I am sure there are several officiating crews out there in all sports that are using their position to make more money, we are a greed driven society and you cant tell me all officials are angels. Also, you will never see a sport seriously look into it because it would be far to devastating to all of sport. Its the same thing that caused baseball to stick their head in the sand about steriods.

Just a theory, but wouldn't gambler make a ton of more money if they bet on the underdog to win instead of the favorite? Seems to me that this would be more of an incintive to help NU win than Texas.

Just a theory, but wouldn't gambler make a ton of more money if they bet on the underdog to win instead of the favorite? Seems to me that this would be more of an incintive to help NU win than Texas.

Not really. Hypothetically if a ref thinks it should be an easy win for TX and bets big on TX to cover then the game ends up being closer than expected he would do everything in his power to make sure TX covers. It works both ways, thats why when you see calls that make no sense especially ones that should be overturned with the use of replay and the ref comes out and says play confirmed when everyone knows it wasnt, its time to start asking serious questions.

Do you really think the refs will call a roughing the passer on Texas? Or holding on the undermaned Texas O-line? Do the officials immediately throw a flag when Asante is within 5 yards of a ball carrier?

The Big 12 is going to ensure that the Longhorns and their Heisman hopeful walk out of Arlington 13-0

Just saying...

The B12 actually loses $4.5 mill in bowl money if Texas wins.

Not really. Hypothetically if a ref thinks it should be an easy win for TX and bets big on TX to cover then the game ends up being closer than expected he would do everything in his power to make sure TX covers. It works both ways, thats why when you see calls that make no sense especially ones that should be overturned with the use of replay and the ref comes out and says play confirmed when everyone knows it wasnt, its time to start asking serious questions.

You lost me.

Texas is favored by -13.5 points or thereabout depending on where you look. If the refs can spot NU some points so that they don't cover, how is this any different than ensuring that Texas does in fact cover? You would make the same money either way if you bet correctly.

Where it would be advantageous is the straight money line. If NU has 10:1 odds to win the game, one could make a killing off betting on NU to beat Texas straight up. If I bet $100 on Nebraska, I would make $1000. If I bet $100 on Texas at 2:1 odds, which I would be shocked if you could find these, I would only win $200. The former provides the least amount of investment and pays off much more handsomely than the latter.

So we're back to the original point: A shady ref is better off ensuring that Texas loses to satisfy the gamblers.

I feel bad for McCoy if the refs do make dumb calls... if we get a phantom roughing the passer, then I think Suh, Crick, Allen, Steinkuhler and Meredith should just dog pile McCoy and let Bo tell the refs "now you have a reason to flag us". I dont wish injury on anyone, but if we dont get a fair shake, then I say send McCoy to the BCS game with a broken arm or shoulder... that will grab attention that no one can ignore. this is John Gotti, signing off.

The same crew that did the OU/Oakie state game is officidating the Big12 CCG

They liked Red better than Burnt Orange last weekend. Will that be the case again this weekend? :LOLtartar

Disagree. I thought it was officiated decently.

I was joking. Should've inserted the sarcasm emoticon. :sarcasm

Do you really think the refs will call a roughing the passer on Texas? Or holding on the undermaned Texas O-line? Do the officials immediately throw a flag when Asante is within 5 yards of a ball carrier?

The Big 12 is going to ensure that the Longhorns and their Heisman hopeful walk out of Arlington 13-0

Just saying...

The B12 actually loses $4.5 mill in bowl money if Texas wins.

True, but they also lose the luster of a 13-0 team going to play for a National Championship. If Nebraska wins, Colt loses his shot at the Heisman as well. In the grand scheme of things, $4.5 mil isnt that much to the Big 12