A case for the Heisman

If the Husker defense completely shut down or embarrass Colt McCoy and the Longhorns on national TV, could this be a head-turner for Suh to step into Colt's place as the front-runner for the Heisman?

I may be sipping some kool-aid here, but if Suh were to be completely dominant while Colt being completely ineffective in a head-to-head competition, don't you think Heisman voters would find it difficult to vote for Colt over Suh when it comes time to check the box on your ballot?

If the Husker defense completely shut down or embarrass Colt McCoy and the Longhorns on national TV, could this be a head-turner for Suh to step into Colt's place as the front-runner for the Heisman?

I may be sipping some kool-aid here, but if Suh were to be completely dominant while Colt being completely ineffective in a head-to-head competition, don't you think Heisman voters would find it difficult to vote for Colt over Suh when it comes time to check the box on your ballot?

Honestly, I think it would just divert the vote to the "next" quarterback. As much as I'd love to see Suh get it, I just don't see it going to a non-quarterback.

Suh needs a tremendous game just to get invited. He's been held in check for a few games, against not-so-good opponents. Plus, the things that make him so amazing - the INTs, the passes defensed, the running plays, the blocked kicks, the QB pressures/hurries - none of those things are standard measurables for defensive tackles. People don't track those stats, and if it's not on a stat sheet in front of a guy, often it gets overlooked.

Suh needs a tremendous game just to get invited. He's been held in check for a few games, against not-so-good opponents. Plus, the things that make him so amazing - the INTs, the passes defensed, the running plays, the blocked kicks, the QB pressures/hurries - none of those things are standard measurables for defensive tackles. People don't track those stats, and if it's not on a stat sheet in front of a guy, often it gets overlooked.

Not to mention that he has just 1 INT this year (for 0 yards) and has not played on offense at all. No TDs. Much of the flash just isn't there this year. Great play, but no Heisman moments.

Given the choice between winning the Heisman or being the #1 pick in the draft, I'd take the #1 pick. Suh will be able to hire Tebow as his driver when he gets that contract.

Suh is amazing, but he really has no shot at the Heisman. If Colt and Tebow end up sucking Gerhart is waiting in the wings and can't do anything to lose it as his regular season is over. I'd be surprised if Suh made it to NY as I think that the votes will make it a 2-3 man race like last year.

Now, if Suh plays iron man football and lights up the Texas secondary with a 65 yard bomb, all bets are off.

Suh is amazing, but he really has no shot at the Heisman. If Colt and Tebow end up sucking Gerhart is waiting in the wings and can't do anything to lose it as his regular season is over. I'd be surprised if Suh made it to NY as I think that the votes will make it a 2-3 man race like last year.

Now, if Suh plays iron man football and lights up the Texas secondary with a 65 yard bomb, all bets are off.

:laughpound

The thought of him outrunning the Texas secondary is so impossible it is hilarious. I keep picturing him stiff arming them all the way down field.

hahaha

edit: just realized you may be saying throwing the bomb, that is a little more believable.

Not to mention that he has just 1 INT this year (for 0 yards) and has not played on offense at all. No TDs. Much of the flash just isn't there this year. Great play, but no Heisman moments.

Given the choice between winning the Heisman or being the #1 pick in the draft, I'd take the #1 pick. Suh will be able to hire Tebow as his driver when he gets that contract.

WHEN Tebow is drafted he will have Payton Manning type endorsement opportunities. Regardless to my dislike of Tebow he speaks well and won't get in trouble off the field. He is a recognizable face that people love and hate. Once his last collegiate game is played you will see how many companies trip over themselves to kiss the feet of young Jesus.

WHEN Tebow is drafted he will have Payton Manning type endorsement opportunities. Regardless to my dislike of Tebow he speaks well and won't get in trouble off the field. He is a recognizable face that people love and hate. Once his last collegiate game is played you will see how many companies trip over themselves to kiss the feet of young Jesus.

Not true, if you'll notice advertisers aren't jumping all over rookies in the NFL. They wait for them to prove themselves anymore. After Brady Quinn, they seem to have learned their lesson on this. Money down the drain. Even Matt Ryan wasn't getting opportunities until this season. Adrian Petersen is just now becoming a marketing slam dunk. You will see Manning, Favre, and other proven guys before you see Tebow or Suh or any other rookie. Nike or another company like that would be an exception but don't look for unrelated companies in the mold of Wrangler or Sony to go for him.

In this economy, companies are going to go for the slam dunk because they can't flood the market with advertising dollars like they once could.

40 percent of the Heisman votes are cast before the big 12 championship will even be played. Literally they have already voted.

Is that true this year? I know in the past it was true. I heard that nearly everyone voted online now, so voters aren't in such a hurry to get their ballot mailed, or at least shouldn't be. Are they still voting early? I haven't seen numbers for this year. Just wondering if you'd actually seen that 40% or some number somewhere for this year.

Here's what I hope happens Saturday. I hoped to put it on the "Can Suh Cripple Colt McCoy" thread to lighten up the mood there a little, but alas, it was locked.

On the first play from scrimmage, Suh blows his way thru the TU offensive line. He proceeds to grab Colt and break him cleanly in half. Injury timeout, they send out the stretcher, and eventually Colt's two halves are carried over to the TU sideline, where he proceeds to watch the rest of the game.

Suh spearheads an excellent, physically played game, our boys fight hard, and eventually triumph over Texas. Suh trots over to the Texas sideline before any B12 Champs hardware is handed out. He runs over to the two halves of Colt, now sobbing at the thought of what could have been.

Suh, having superpowers, uses them to heal Colt's pieces back into his old functioning body. They shake hands, hug, and become best friends after the game, going on to both star in the new "Ebony and Ivory" music video.

Oh yeah, and the huskers win the Fiesta Bowl. That too.

GBR!