A little RPG on Huskerboard

tmfr15

Assume that one of the following happens. Either Watson flat walks out feeling as though he is being unfairly targeted as the reason for the O woes. Or, he gets into a knock down drag out yelling match with the Pelinis and is fired.

Now you are Pelini.

What now?

I am not looking for a person to hire, but a plan. What kind of an offense do we want now and how do we start to set the foundations? Give specifics...not just run more, but what kind of runs do you want to see. Not just be balanced....define that more.

Feel free to assume this happens before or after the bowl game.

Of course before the bowl game would be very interesting since the whole apple cart would be upset with one game left to play in 09-10 season.

Assume that one of the following happens. Either Watson flat walks out feeling as though he is being unfairly targeted as the reason for the O woes. Or, he gets into a knock down drag out yelling match with the Pelinis and is fired.

Now you are Pelini.

What now?

I am not looking for a person to hire, but a plan. What kind of an offense do we want now and how do we start to set the foundations? Give specifics...not just run more, but what kind of runs do you want to see. Not just be balanced....define that more.

Feel free to assume this happens before or after the bowl game.

Of course before the bowl game would be very interesting since the whole apple cart would be upset with one game left to play in 09-10 season.

I want an Alabama style offense.

I do whatever it takes to beg Dr. Tom to come out of retirement and hand the offensive reigns to him. He is a coaching legend, and could definitely coach Bo up on how to handle offense more effectively, so in the future it does not rely so heavily on the offensive coordinator and Bo can have some input. I relaly think it is a terrific in home option that at least deserves consideration.

I just can't see doing what everyone else in the conference is doing as all that beneficial. Pretty much everyone is hellbent on 4wr base, so first and foremost I'd continue locking up TE, FB, more pure runners than spread runners (a guy like Gerhart or Ingram). You gotta find the right type of guys for the OL. This doesn't necessarily mean you offer all the highest stars. Tough, consistent, athletic run blockers. This is kind of a risky deal. Do you offer the in state kid that has choices of going to either a lower division or maybe a lesser program like CSU or ISU or something, who in the older days would have just walked on? You need to look at the success Boise has had finding hidden gems to play up front, IMO.

For the OL system, I'd like to see wider splits. No more two point stances even in the shotgun, it sends the wrong message, you are thinking backwards that way. With the type of OL you have and the wider gaps from the splits, you use your athleticism to move and get good angles, essentially some flat pulls. I'd really put a focus on good trap blocking and having lots of plays involving traps, folds, and the flat or quick pulls. All the defenses out there now are super aggressive and DL's are huge on penetration. I think this reversion to an older style from the heavy on zone blocking offenses you see today would be interesting. Not that you can't still use zone blocking plays too. Should just be able to change a letter or number to alter the play to zone.

The offense needs the philosophy that everyone on the field is a potential ball carrier. You can't have a run heavy offense where nobody but the IB is a real running threat. But it doesn't just mean you run a FB dive or a reverse once in a while either. The plays have to play off each other. I'd want something distracting on every play. whether its a WR in a zoom or jet motion coming across, or a quick fake to the fullback or whatever, offense needs to have a great deal of deception.

Perhaps most importantly though, it needs to essentially be a college level system in complexity. The offense needs to be as complex as possible and as simple as possible at the same time. In other words the concepts need to be easy to remember and somewhat interchangeable, and the verbiage short and efficient so you can control offensive tempo. You need to be able to run multiple formations, but the actual formations should not be very confusing at all, but you need to line up differently espescially early in a game to see how the defense lines up and how they react to different sets might help show some exploitable areas. Also, you can't forget to be creative and have fun. Even Callahan was able to do this from time to time.

With our defensive type of play, I'd say a pro-style offense would work best. A nice, balanced running game with a lead blocker with the option to go 3-4 wide when needed. Alabama's offense and defense work well together for this same reason. A balanced offense is hard to game plan for and is very hard to beat when executed. I know the spread is the best thing around and you can score a lot but I just like to see some good balance.

I'm glad you brought this up. I feel like we should have a very balanced, ball control, clock eating offense much like Stanford. (Very similar from what I've seen to Bama)

I think the midwest is ripe with TEs and FBs and we should take advantage of that rather than trying to get 3rd and 4th tier WRs from the south or Cali.

I've always been a proponent of a Pro Style offense with some flair added.

I'm glad you brought this up. I feel like we should have a very balanced, ball control, clock eating offense much like Stanford. (Very similar from what I've seen to Bama)

I think the midwest is ripe with TEs and FBs and we should take advantage of that rather than trying to get 3rd and 4th tier WRs from the south or Cali.

I've always been a proponent of a Pro Style offense with some flair added.

I wholeheartedly agree. A pro style offense is what this teams needs. Take Alabama, USC, and Stanford and bring that style to the corn fields. With that style, we can recruit big time receivers and RBs.

No more west coast offense that doesn't work so we "sew on a patch" by moving to a power running game. Although I think Shawn is a great person (super nice guy if you've ever met him), his track record isn't all that great.

I really believe Bo would sit down and say what do I find provides the most mismatches for my defense. I still wish we could've played oregon this year and georgia tech in last year's bowl so Bo could get a taste of defending these two styles of offense. Bo said it himself that the D needs to be able to be aggressive and not think too much. So design the offense that requires as much confusion for the D as possible. Hell run the wishbone I don't care as long it involves physical football....like bama with it's share of misdirection (oregon).

Nebraska's tradition-rich program has always been pushed along on the ground.

"And the Prussians kept coming..." Remember this line from that incredible Sports Illustrated article detailing the Game of the Century?

It was Kinnie who repeatedly punished the Oklahoma defense, and created/perpetuated the message that the Cornhuskers will RUN YOU OVER.

It was Frazier, Schlesinger, and Phillips. Ahman Green. Eric Crouch, even Dan freaking Alexander. We were one of the few if not the only offense that looked to deliver physical blows with the ball-carrier. Looking back, it was really amazing.

Blue-collar, yoeman, lunch-pail characteristics, just like those of the state. Yes, it matters.

Should we throw it? Of course, but it should be set up off the run.

Should the Huskers commit to excellence in the running game, there is a good likelyhood it will happen. Smallish defenses recruited to out-athlete spread offenses will have a heck of a time taking on the New Pipeline and bruising Nebraska backfield.

We can go back in time, at least in this instance - there's no reason it can't work.