What are we wanting out of the University of Texas and Big 12?

CornBall

I would suggest that the conference be based in a neutral location (not in Dallas) and that the Big XII championship be played in a neutral location. Dallas was not a neutral site in my opinion. Move the conference to someplace like Arkansas?

Finally, officiating in the Big XII championship should come from another conference and there should not be the appearance of favortism or conflict of interest such as all referees being from the state of Texas as it was in the CCG.

Agreed on the officiating thing.

Where would a good neutral conference site be?

KC? That's just an hour from KSU and KU.

Tulsa? Just an hour from OSU and 3 from OU.

Denver? This just 45 minutes from Boulder.

OKC? That's OU's backyard.

San Antonio? That's practically in UT and A&M's backyard.

DFW? The nearest school to DFW is Baylor. The rest of the schools are AT LEAST a 3 hour drive. I don't see that as a problem per se.

BTW, I live in Austin and I see absolutely zero anti Big 12 North bias per se, and hear nothing but respect generally for our program at Nebraska.

I think some of this sounds like rumor to me.

I was at the CCG and I saw no particular slant toward Texas whatsoever. We had our "tunnel walk". We had our commercial (despite claims to the contrary). Heck, our band played the national anthem, NOT Texas'.

Just a stab, but what about Arkansas?

Arkansas???

Ummmmmmmm? No.

T_O_B

Having lived in the Lone Star State for 6 years, I feel I can weigh in on this issue.

'Don't mess with Texas.' That right there just sticks in my craw right off the bat.

I could make an incredibly long post about all the undue crap I was given not only because I was a fan of the Big Red, but because I was from Nebraska, a free state no less. I can't tell you how many conversations I had with Texans about how Texas was and could be their own country again.

Do you ever see the blue and gold of the Nebraska state flag at any Husker athletic event home or away? No, but you sure as hell see a whole bunch of Texas state flags wherever the Longhorns are playing, although they are one of several major colleges in the state.

Speaking of flags, how about the Longhorn flag that a Texas LB attempted to plant into the Memorial Stadium field turf after they barely escaped with a win in '02? I don't care who it was - you don't do that in Lincoln.

This is little stuff, to be sure, but suffice it to say that all I ever got from the Texas faithful was DISrespect. Never once did I hear any positive comments about Nebraska athletics, much less our state. It was quite simply an atmosphere of arrogance, and I couldn't wait to leave.

"Don't Mess With Texas" is an advertising campaign of the Texas Department of Transportation, and was begun in an effort to reduce litter on Texas road and highways. It worked. It's not a slight against Nebraska.

I would challenge you to find me any article in Texas that has been written by a reputable news organization that blatantly slighted Nebraska or the University.

Texas was in fact its own sovereign nation at one point. People in Texas have a certain pride about that. It isn't a slight against Nebraska.

The Texas state flag is going to fly at most any public event in Texas, but subordinate to the U.S. flag. I'm not real sure how that's a slam against Nebraska.

I have never been disrespected for getting my MBA from Nebraska or supporting Nebraska. Except for good natured fun at work, lunch, etc. You're thin-skinned. Get over it.

Here is the result of your challenge. The Austin American Statesman gets called a reputable news org. And Here is an article that was talked about on the radio here before the game. Things like this are exactly what I'm talking about.

This guy Kelso is a scum sucking, filthy, jacka$$. I doubt that the people who subscribe to The Austin American Statesman only do so because they can't afford toilet paper. I also think most of them don't wipe their a$$ anyway, that's why Texas stinks.

The things I remember about Texas are basically that an American President was assinated there and the Texan who took his place got us more and more and more involved in the Viet Nam Conflict. 50,000 of my brothers died there, many are still dying because of agent orange, thousands more came home wonded and many of us were spat upon and called baby killers. Thanks for giving us LBJ Texas.

T_O_B

:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam:steam

I think the best reason to stay in the Big 12 would be if they decided to reallign. This way you spread the southern power out and even up the divisions. Do an East and West. Put Texas and TTech/baylor on one side with Texas A&M and TTech/Baylor on the other side. Then put Oklahoma on one side and Okie state on the other. I've posted this idea on the go to the Big 10 thread.

In the end I decided that if this was proposed it would get shot down because some of the So. Div. rivalries would not be played every year so they would kill it since it would not get a 9-3 vote with 4 texas teams voting nay, it could only get 8 yay votes.

So, let's just find a new conference.

How are TT and Baylor going to play in two different divisions? :dunno That would be one brutal schedule!

This guy Kelso is a scum sucking, filthy, jacka$$. I doubt that the people who subscribe to The Austin American Statesman only do so because they can't afford toilet paper. I also think most of them don't wipe their a$$ anyway, that's why Texas stinks.

The things I remember about Texas are basically that an American President was assinated there and the Texan who took his place got us more and more and more involved in the Viet Nam Conflict. 50,000 of my brothers died there, many are still dying because of agent orange, thousands more came home wonded and many of us were spat upon and called baby killers. Thanks for giving us LBJ Texas.

T_O_B

big%20lebowski%20funeral.jpg

T_O_B

The Dude: "What the hell is this?" Walter: "My dirty undies dude, laundry......THE WHITES!"

1. Most recruits WANT to play in front of mom and dad. Schools that are more than a day's drive are often not considered. I know this first hand from two friends of mine whose kids went on to play in a couple of Big 12 schools that also were recruited by the WAC and the PAC.

2. The only schools in the Big 10 with a lot of kids from the south are OSU and Michigan - the two "power" schools. The rest, it's just a smattering.

3. While the Big 8 was not a Texas conference, it was still very much a south and lower midwest conference. OU and OSU had rosters full of Texas boys then, just like they do now. If conferences and school locations don't matter, is it merely coincidence that we have more Texas boys on our roster than we ever did in the Big 8?

1. Of course some do. Anecdotal evidence of kids you know doesn't make a trend, though, just like me citing Texas kids that played here in Nebraska in the 80s when we weren't playing Texas teams doesn't make a trend. That's an individual thing, not necessarily a truism of all recruits. I think we can take it for granted that a LOT of kids go several hundred miles away from home to play ball.

2. That's more a matter of dedication to the sport than anything else. Across the landscape of college football the majority of teams that want to succeed recruit across the gamut of High Schools, no matter where they are. They go get players no matter the state. That's why OSU and Michigan have 800+ wins and Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan State, etc. don't.

3. That's as much to do with our philosophy back in the day than anything. We wanted those "big corn-fed farmboys" to earn our three yards and a cloud of dust. Nine wins per season, crushed by the fast teams - that was our M.O. Then Osborne got wise and recruited the speed players from Texas and Florida, and the 90s happened.

1. Most recruits WANT to play in front of mom and dad. Schools that are more than a day's drive are often not considered. I know this first hand from two friends of mine whose kids went on to play in a couple of Big 12 schools that also were recruited by the WAC and the PAC.

2. The only schools in the Big 10 with a lot of kids from the south are OSU and Michigan - the two "power" schools. The rest, it's just a smattering.

3. While the Big 8 was not a Texas conference, it was still very much a south and lower midwest conference. OU and OSU had rosters full of Texas boys then, just like they do now. If conferences and school locations don't matter, is it merely coincidence that we have more Texas boys on our roster than we ever did in the Big 8?

1. Of course some do. Anecdotal evidence of kids you know doesn't make a trend, though, just like me citing Texas kids that played here in Nebraska in the 80s when we weren't playing Texas teams doesn't make a trend. That's an individual thing, not necessarily a truism of all recruits. I think we can take it for granted that a LOT of kids go several hundred miles away from home to play ball.

2. That's more a matter of dedication to the sport than anything else. Across the landscape of college football the majority of teams that want to succeed recruit across the gamut of High Schools, no matter where they are. They go get players no matter the state. That's why OSU and Michigan have 800+ wins and Wisconsin, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan State, etc. don't.

3. That's as much to do with our philosophy back in the day than anything. We wanted those "big corn-fed farmboys" to earn our three yards and a cloud of dust. Nine wins per season, crushed by the fast teams - that was our M.O. Then Osborne got wise and recruited the speed players from Texas and Florida, and the 90s happened.

Definitely - Callahan getting Lucky to come to Lincoln over USC was a magic act in my book. At the same time, I think looking at the '94 team sees a nice mix of native sons and good recruits. In this area, to find a good mix there is one of the keys to our success.

This thread is hilariously entertaining. How about y'all start winning again on a consistent basis? If you do, I guarantee that more channels will want to broadcast your games and your University will reap the monetary benefits for it. Texas and ou are the lifeblood of the conference. You are the darling of the north...but in a prom-queen-10-years-after kind of way. No one forced you to fire Solich. No one forced you to hire Callahan. The reason for your demise is your own doing. Texas demanded that Prop 48 be done away with because they wanted to be associated with a conference that stressed academics rather than letting functional retards carry a football. We're all on a level playing field, and come to find out, NU was running on smoke and mirrors. Osborne knew this and decided to hang up the whistle as a result.

Mizzou- Few decent years as of late but no one takes them seriously

KU- One good year. Basketball school

ISU- Always Suck

CU- Average team that throws in an upset now and then

KSU- Few good years in the 90's and perennial spoiler role

a&m only had 4 games broadcast this year and every one of them was because of the opponent they were playing. Baylor rarely ever has their moment on TV. Tech fared just a little bit better. 3 schools in Texas...yet NONE of them cashed in the golden paychecks. Why? Because they aren't the top dogs in the state much less the conference. I doubt ou sniffs their usual coverage next year due to this year's record and the amount of star power that they will lose. No one wants to watch a mediocre team perform despite their past success. Did you watch a lot of Michigan games this year? Neither did I.

This isn't arrogance. This isn't a conspiracy. This is concrete. I invite you to prove me wrong. Texas is ranked #2 in the nation in football, baseball, basketball and swimming. Is this because we are paying off the officials in all sports that we participate in? C'mon now, "N" doesn't stand for "Nowledge".

T_O_B

The Dude: "What the hell is this?" Walter: "My dirty undies dude, laundry......THE WHITES!"

Is this the best that can be done?

This thread is hilariously entertaining. How about y'all start winning again on a consistent basis? If you do, I guarantee that more channels will want to broadcast your games and your University will reap the monetary benefits for it. Texas and ou are the lifeblood of the conference. You are the lifeblood of the north...but in a prom-queen-10-years-after kind of way. No one forced you to fire Solich. No one forced you to hire Callahan. The reason for your demise is your own doing. Texas demanded that Prop 48 be done with because they wanted to be associated with a conference that stressed academics rather than letting functional retards carry a football. We're all on a level playing field, and come to find out, NU was running on smoke and mirrors. Osborne knew this and decided to hang up the whistle as a result.

ISU- Always Suck

KSU- Few good years in the 90's. Upset ou...who still played for the MNC despite this

a&m only had 4 games broadcast this year and every one of them was because of the opponent they were playing. Baylor rarely ever has their moment on TV. Tech fared just a little bit better. 3 schools in Texas...yet NONE of them cashed in the golden paychecks. Why? Because they aren't the top dogs in the state much less the conference. I doubt ou sniffs their usual coverage next year due to this year's record and the amount of star power that they will lose. No one wants to watch a mediocre team perform despite their past success. Did you watch a lot of Michigan games this year? Neither did I.

This isn't arrogance. This isn't a conspiracy. This is concrete. I invite you to prove me wrong. Texas is ranked #2 in the nation in football, baseball and basketball and swimming. Is this because we are paying off the officials in all sports that we participate in? C'mon now, "N" doesn't stand for "Nowledge".

While some of what you say is true, the simple FACT of the matter is that the conference let TU have whatever it wanted when the conference was formed. It's not arrogance, but if you don't want to acknowledge it, then it is stupidity on your part. Those recruiting rules (among others) were specifically aimed at NU (which at the time WAS the lifeblood of the conference) as all of the 11 other schools were tired of having NU run rough-shod over them for years. It's not our fault that the 11 other crappy-ass schools don't have academic support programs that can turn a Prop 48 into a college graduate or produce the amount of academic All Americans that NU has.

If you think that NU was running on smoke and mirrors then you are way less intelligent then I gave you credit for. There are 25 straight 9 win seasons and 3 National Championship trophies (TO's time) from that period that beg to differ, which is much more than TU can claim during same timespan. And not that I EVER want to defend sCUm, but they won EXACTLY the same amount of National championships that TU has in the past 39 years. Osborne left because he saw the writing on the wall, that TU and the southern schools were going to ruin this conference just as it did the SWC. FACT

If you think that we are on a level playing field now, then ship me up some of that good stuff that comes across the border that you and "Little Girl" have been smoking. I could use a good buzz. Talk about smoke and mirros, that thinly veiled statement is about as truthful as our proposed national health care plan costing taxpayers less and offering better services.

Oh, and BTW, congrats on changing the landscape of college football, as certain games now run 60:01. You can put that asterisk on the wall next to last years Big 12 championship trophy. :dumdum

This thread is hilariously entertaining. How about y'all start winning again on a consistent basis? If you do, I guarantee that more channels will want to broadcast your games and your University will reap the monetary benefits for it. Texas and ou are the lifeblood of the conference. You are the lifeblood of the north...but in a prom-queen-10-years-after kind of way. No one forced you to fire Solich. No one forced you to hire Callahan. The reason for your demise is your own doing. Texas demanded that Prop 48 be done with because they wanted to be associated with a conference that stressed academics rather than letting functional retards carry a football. We're all on a level playing field, and come to find out, NU was running on smoke and mirrors. Osborne knew this and decided to hang up the whistle as a result.

ISU- Always Suck

KSU- Few good years in the 90's. Upset ou...who still played for the MNC despite this

This isn't arrogance. This isn't a conspiracy. This is concrete. I invite you to prove me wrong. Texas is ranked #2 in the nation in football, baseball and basketball and swimming. Is this because we are paying off the officials in all sports that we participate in? C'mon now, "N" doesn't stand for "Nowledge".

That's exactly the Texas arrogance. You illustrated peoples points here better then anyone else on this thread did.

See the stuff about the conference being set up again. It was Nebraska against everyone we were rolling at the time + Texas voting against us for things like prop 48. That and osborne's departure definitely started the downward spiral that Callahan eventually sped up. The bigger schools together on the TV contracts hell we were probably part of that, I think the bigger issue there is that our conference sucks at getting good deals for TV and Bowl wise compared to other major conferences.

Fyi, my longhorn friend, I saw every NU game on T.V. this year. Only watched 1- 1/2 Texas games though (they didn't look like the number 2 team in the nation in either). Funny how that works when you don't care about the team playing.

If Nebraska has any complaint it should be against the former Big 8 teams.

Any time a vote came up that Nebraska was against was voted for. The Kansas, Missou and Iowa States of the conference voted for it just so they could bring Nebraska back to the pack. Texas was smart and took advantage of this petty jealously. <_<

If Nebraska has any complaint it should be against the former Big 8 teams.

Any time a vote came up that Nebraska was against was voted for. The Kansas, Missou and Iowa States of the conference voted for it just so they could bring Nebraska back to the pack. Texas was smart and took advantage of this petty jealously. <_<

this is an excellent point

Very good point in deed. At the creation of the Big 12 Texas was closer to becoming a Kansas, MO or ISU than the Texas Longhorn Championship contenders.