Osborne's comments on the Big 10 expansion

CornBall

So you advocate a system where maybe 18 schools would have football teams in the BCS and if any one of them had a few bad years they would be eliminated, correct?

Not exactly. I advocate a system where only about 40, max, schools have "Division I" ranking. There would be no other schools, and playing teams from other schools would not count toward your win/loss record in the Big Division.

I would make that division up of schools that have shown a sincere willingness over the long haul of making their team not only relevant, but competitive in college football. It would include teams like:

Florida State

Miami (FL)

Virginia Tech

Nebraska

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

Texas

Texas A&M

Notre Dame

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

California

USC

UCLA

Washington

Oregon

Tennessee

Florida

LSU

Georgia

Arkansas

Auburn

Ole Miss

This is, of course, a partial list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and arguments could be made for and against others. But this is a good core, and would make compelling games on a weekly basis.

There's a ton more I could say here, but I've gotta go. I'll expound later on this pipe dream if you want. :)

Pipe dream is right. This is about as likely as that dumbass Dan Beebe supporting a playoff system!

So you advocate a system where maybe 18 schools would have football teams in the BCS and if any one of them had a few bad years they would be eliminated, correct?

Not exactly. I advocate a system where only about 40, max, schools have "Division I" ranking. There would be no other schools, and playing teams from other schools would not count toward your win/loss record in the Big Division.

I would make that division up of schools that have shown a sincere willingness over the long haul of making their team not only relevant, but competitive in college football. It would include teams like:

Florida State

Miami (FL)

Virginia Tech

Nebraska

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

Texas

Texas A&M

Notre Dame

Michigan

Michigan State

Ohio State

Penn State

California

USC

UCLA

Washington

Oregon

Tennessee

Florida

LSU

Georgia

Arkansas

Auburn

Ole Miss

This is, of course, a partial list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, and arguments could be made for and against others. But this is a good core, and would make compelling games on a weekly basis.

There's a ton more I could say here, but I've gotta go. I'll expound later on this pipe dream if you want. :)

Pipe dream is right. This is about as likely as that dumbass Dan Beebe supporting a playoff system!

Yes he is. Gutless as well.

What is the definition of committment to football execellence though, is it paying your head coach 5 million a year or cancelling a week of your semester to attend bowl games or is it doing your best to quality kids and hoping to educate them?

I think it's pretty obvious that it means having a quality team more often than not, having a solid tradition of excellence and reasonable expectations to compete on a yearly basis with your contemporaries. I don't think the majority of college football's top division truly expects these things from their football teams. I think a fair portion of these schools have teams because it's traditional, or because they can make some money from the program to fund their other sports.

EDIT - and tack on what Vince is saying as well. Good point, V-Man.

A few bad years? CU has had more than just a few bad years of Football. But again, what else does CU bring to the Big 12 Atheltic table?

:wasted Hey, their Student Section obviously knows how to throw a party, the drunken bastards!!

I don't know where you guys are hearing that someone is looking to leave the Big 12 for the Big 10.

The majority of the news i have heard is that they are CONSIDERING expanded, which could take up to a year before they come to the conclusion and the teams that are likely to be looked at are Notre Dame, Cincy, Pitt, or maybe TCU.

Perhaps someone can help me out here. Why would the Big ten prefer Mizzou over us? Yes, population wise, we can't compete, but fan base - television ratings I'm quite sure are in our favor, yes? Plus we pack our bowl games, Mizzou doesn't travel.. We have more non nebraska resident Husker fans than we do Nebraska resident (I'm originally a california man myself) fans. So why does the state population matter to them?

If "money" is their main concern, and I think we can all accept that it is, Nebraska should be head and shoulders above Mizzou, Pitt and Rutgers on their wish list. Not to metion the legacy, our national championships and heisman winners are immediatley added to the confrence list of past championship teams.. (obviously not won in their confrence, but the big 12 boasts Texas's championships before they became a big 12 team.)

Perhaps I'm missing a huge piece to the puzzle.. But I just can't see any confrence that had their choice of adding Rutgers, Mizzou or us to their confrence, not beating down our door.

I think it would be a disadvantage to add more texas schools to the big12 from a recruiting standpoint. Right now we are the major conference for any kid in texas. The 4 schools there now can't take them all but you add TCU and Houston to a more powerful conference then suddenly kids that were looking at north schools may think "hey I can stay close to home and play in the big 12"

My solution should MIZZOU leave:

NORTH:

-Nebraska

-Kansas

-Kansas State

-Iowa State

-Colorado

-Oklahoma

SOUTH:

-Texas

-Texas A&M

-Texas Tech