the good, the bad, and the ugly

HuckFoley

The good:

The Nebraska defense, just reflecting on the year, what was accomplished by the team was nothing short of astonishing.

I am floored at how well NU played defensively this year.

Not just Suh either.. but he was a big part of it.

NU got about 3 weeks of great press, from all the awards, to the game with Texas, to heisman trophy festivities.

One of the things NU did, was put our name back into national discussions.

The Bad:

I don't want to harp on this point.

Complete breakdown of any kind of serviceable offense.

Continued recruiting issues on offense.

Bo may be a head coach by title, but hasn't proved it yet.

Bo has proved he is a great defensive mind. He hasn't proved he is a great head coach yet.

Watson, uhm.

The Ugly:

we hear all this stuff about the offense changing.

Sounds like now, it's not a power or option running game, but a spread offense.

Conclusion

Here is what I think... Bo tried to run the ball more, based on osbourne's suggestions.

Watson hates doing what he had to do this season, and that is well chronicled.

Bo likes a spread offense, which sits better with watson than an option or power running game.

So, what are we going to get?

The WCO will be gone. Watson's new Spread will be the offense of the future.

Will this work?

l

When they say spread, i'm pretty sure it's not gonna be a 5 wide Texas Tech throw the ball 60 times a game spread. It's gonna be a balance system, but the thing is, to run the ball 50 times a game these days and have it be effective and to do it 10 years are two far different philosiphies. Now-a-days, you just cant line up and run someone over cuz your stronger, everyone had figgered out the weight and conditioning secrets. So what he have to do now is spread the field and put the ball in the hands of a quick back like helu and force guys to make tackles in space but yet have competant receivers to provide a downfield threat to take pressure off. It's working at a lot of top programs right now. Problem this year was it was discovered right away that our personnel was too banged up and too inexperienced fromt top to bottom, and after the Iowa St. disaster it was decided to get the ball out the hands of our QBs, line up power sets, get our 14 points, dont screw sh#t up and get the W. I personally think this will work, it did last year, and it will again. This was just a bad year for the offense from injuries, and not just Helu and burkhead, but at one time, I think the Oklahoma game, 4 of the 5 olineman were fighting some type of aggrevation while playin. Things will be fine.

I think last season's offense benefited a lot from being veterans and quickly adapted to the newer coaches. Along comes this season's youth and the loss of last year's leaders, a coaching staff in it's second season that had few problems the previous year, and some key injuries at times plus the loss of Castille and Witt. Combine that with the fact that the Big 12's defenses all vastly improved and the Huskers faced 3 of the nation's best. At least we know it can't get a whole lot worse!!! :)

"Osborne"; no "U". I get amazed at how many times I see his name spelled incorrectly by Husker fans considering he's been THE program for 35 of the past 40 years.

my bad on the spelling error

i don't particularly like TO anyways, but thanks for catching that and extrapolating it into your agenda/post

maybe you will donate some money to the university so the next generation can spell properly?

heck, no one even pronounces it correctly either, but thanks for pointing out the spelling error.

"Osborne"; no "U". I get amazed at how many times I see his name spelled incorrectly by Husker fans considering he's been THE program for 35 of the past 40 years.

i don't particularly like TO anyways, but thanks for catching that and extrapolating it into your agenda/post

maybe you will donate some money to the university so the next generation can spell properly?

heck, no one even pronounces it correctly either, but thanks for pointing out the spelling error.

Wow, Huck. You seem to be full of beans today. What's the deal?

Stinky beans at that. We have back to back 9 win seasons after having one during the previous coach's four years. How is Bo not a head coach? And how do you not appreciate the things Osborne has done for this university?

Oh, I don't think anyone is denying that Bo is a massive improvement from Callahan. TO saved the day.

It's just that to reach the TO/Devaney Valhalla heights Bo simply has to fix the offense. It can't be every three or four years w/5th year seniors everywhere. It has to be reasonably consistent and successful annually. It's a big chore but he's accomplish that in spades with the defense. Can he also do that with the offense?

SW by himself hacking that is extremely doubtful to say the least. It's Bo's call......

I was wrong, he isn't Les Miles. He is Bill Callahan.

The bolded part is unbelievable. Lot not to like about Osborne, isn't there. I mean once I saw him chew his gum with his mouth open. What a terrible person to emulate.

Come on man, are you like 14 years old?